Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[WOW!! MANTA] - Imperial Assault and Tau Survival :
Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2005, 23:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [WOW!! MANTA] - Imperial Assault and Tau Survival :

Has anyone else gotten their hands on a copy of The NEW Imerial Armour Vol. 3- Taros Campaign?
If u havent u should. The rules for the MANTA are godly. Heck, the rules for the new AX-1-0 are godly. I drooled over the rules of the manta for like an hour. Anyone who thinks that they arent worth the points is nuts. But then again, youve gotta wait for the model, but hey it will be well worth it.

"We are the might of Tau'va and the Aun. Our might knows no bounds and our Technology can overcome any foe. We are the Omega Cadre and we conquer in the name of TAU'VA!!!!" Common pre-engagement encouragement from Shas'Ui of the Omega Cadre before battle commences.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 23:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: WOW!! MANTA

Not only is the book awesome, but the background for the Taros Campaign is awesome. Sucks to be SMurfs and IG.

"We are the might of Tau'va and the Aun. Our might knows no bounds and our Technology can overcome any foe. We are the Omega Cadre and we conquer in the name of TAU'VA!!!!" Common pre-engagement encouragement from Shas'Ui of the Omega Cadre before battle commences.
Old 02 Aug 2005, 04:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

why do the tau kill them in it??

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 02 Aug 2005, 07:27   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I'm willing to bet it'll be another "Tau win when they should have been slaughtered" event. GW seems to love doing that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Aug 2005, 07:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I'm willing to bet it'll be another "Tau win when they should have been slaughtered" event. GW seems to love doing that...
, the Space Marines and Imperial Guard have both had their glorious wins against the odds. Why not be gracious and actually admit the Tau race are capable of winning in battle and deserve their place in the 40k universe.

Old 02 Aug 2005, 07:56   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
, the Space Marines and Imperial Guard have both had their glorious wins against the odds. Why not be gracious and actually admit the Tau race are capable of winning in battle and deserve their place in the 40k universe.

Imperial Extermination Craft: Caught in a Warp Storm and lost. Saved the entire Tau race from destruction.
Damocles Crusade: Retreated due to Behemoth. This is the closest the Tau have ever come to a major victory, and they still can't take credit for it.
Waaagh! Snazdrag: Demiurg got the Eldar to destroy it, thus saving the Tau.

The Tau have faced three cataclysmic assaults, and all three have been stopped by other people. The Tau have yet to face a real offensive alone, thus it is a widely-accepted viewpoint that, if they ever did, they would lose, and lose hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Aug 2005, 08:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

If Tau have yet to face a real offensive alone then how do we know that ''if they ever did, they would lose, and lose hard''. I mean there is just nothing in plain evidence to support that.

Besides, Tau are going to get into less major conflicts anyway because they are friendly to other races (e.g Imperial Guard Survivors) and are just a lot less likely to instigate wars (some races like orks and tyranids it is just inevitable). They are about the only force of good in the universe because they are so naive, but whats to say they don't stay like that, and people respect them. In the codex fluff I remember one of the Imperial Leaders being impressed with the Tau, and a scout remarking on how the Ta'lissera was a noble thing...Tau are not hated by the universe...

Old 02 Aug 2005, 08:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, currently, the Tau are the "Russia" of 40K. Not in politics or military directly, but that wars against them lead to a LOT of surrendered territory, and natural or events do much to throw things in their favor. I believe the gist of things is that YES, they would get their arse handed to them at the current snapshot, but they've been lucky enough to amass incredible potential.

EVERY race that spans the stars must have been lucky in some way shape or form. Who's to say that the humans weren't lucky in adverting industrial collapse on Terra, never getting off the ground?

I'm confortable with the Tau being the "lucky ones who could get swept off the map if only..." But I also don't put the occasional military triumphs past them. They have realatively efficient bueraucracy, intelligent leaders, altruistic philosophies, and a dense empire well suited to short "island hops" and dynamic warfare.

I also seem to recall Iyaden indirectly saving the Imperiums arse out on the fringe.

EDIT: As this is a thread about the Manta Destroyer, I ought to say something about it:

I would LOVE to field one of those on the table-top. Even if the stats weren't so great. The Manta is (from what I understand) the largest transport in 40K, that's still small enough to consider putting on the tabletop. It represents a really "In your face" deployment that's interesting and pretty cool for stylistic purposes.
Old 02 Aug 2005, 10:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Damocles Crusade: Retreated due to Behemoth. This is the closest the Tau have ever come to a major victory, and they still can't take credit for it.
The codex doesn't say that Damocles crusade retreated due to behemoth fleet.... It says TAU weaken the crusade force too much to continue the mission an and the imperium didn't bring reinforces...
No behemoth is stated in the codex

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild, and freak out an' do anything they wanna do"
Old 02 Aug 2005, 11:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to bladeboy258

When fourth edition Tau come out we will have more experience thus forth being able to defeat our enemies more easily and we will probably have a special TAU unit (not kroot) to go into close combat and WIN.
So really in future campaigns we will have a better chance of defeating the imperium and/or other races.
We are young so thus fourth we have brains like sponges so we soak up as much information as we can get. As long as I live I will never see the Tau go down and get destroyed with ease, if anything we will crush our enemies with our Railguns. *grins evilly and walks away with no trace whatsoever* >