Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Building a Tau Army - Part 3
Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2005, 14:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Building a Tau Army - Part 3

[size=10pt]Hi again, holiday's now for me so I am enjoying more time to spend on the boards, even getting round to painting a nice new pathfinder team! (Keep your eyes peeled on the showcase board!).

Now we have reached the penultimate article for building a Tau army, and we come accross possibly the most important points limit - 1500. Widely played limit in many tornuments, and in this list you must come prepared for anything. Foes can include masses of light infanty, heavy armour, huge or multiple tanks, nasty HQ characters, deepstrikers or infiltrators. Basically this list is going to have to be fully rounded to take on anything it meets. Luckily we have 500 points more than last time to deal with new threats.

Before we begin list building, lets take a quick look on our 1000pt (972) list -

[size=8pt]HQ -
Shas'el, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker - 85

TROOPS –
10 Kroot – 70

12 Fire Warriors, Shas’ui, - 225

12 Fire Warriors, Shas’ui – 130

ELITES –
6 Stealth Suits – 180

1 Crisis Battlesuit, Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Flamer - 60

1 Crisis Battlesuit, Twin Lined Missile Pod, Flamer - 57

HEAVY SUPPORT –Hammerhead Gunship, RailGun, Burst Cannons, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers - 165[/size]

HQ -

With more units and models that you gain as you increase the size of your army, the more likely that at some point in the game one will fail a morale or pinning test. Sometimes this is unavoidable or not really a problem, but at 1500pts it becomes well worth it to take along an insurance against this - an Ethereal. Just make sure you keep him out of trouble, a good way is joining him with a squad so even deepstrikers cannot target him individually.

TROOPS -

At 1500pts our 10 Kroot will not be able to cope all on their own up into enemy lines, another small squad will be able to work efficiently in tandem as you desire to create deadly crossfires or more ffective ambushes. Just a quick remiender on the roles of the Kroot - Infiltrate, Harrass, Annoy, Distract, Ambush, Snipe, Intimidate, Hold...a commander's dream!

ELITES -

As I will be adding in plenty more support for anti-tank duties, another crisis suit will be kitted out in anti-armour style, with twin linked plasma rifle's to join up in a squad with its partner. Although one casualty can bring about all on your own tests, it will always be a scoring unit, and remember you have an Ethereal to help you stay on the board now!

FAST ATTACK -

Any well balanced list needs some fast attack choices, and the Tau have a nice little trick up their sleves - Pathfinders. A costly unit due to a devilfish being mandatory, however they can enhance your firepower remarkably with their markerlights. Just pick one of your own units (tanks and battlesuits are the best bets) that you want to decimate the enemy with and use your markerlights to guide them onto whatever you shoot at. Alternativly they can be used to fire seeker missile if you markerlight expensive characters or tanks instead - a great way to deal the enemy deadly accurate S8 blasts from turn one. Because this squad is all about firing those markerlights we will keep this team nice and simple, or things can get expensive quickly.

HEAVY SUPPORT -

With just one Hammerhead, at the moment the Tau army is surprisingly light on heavy support - however after the addition of some seeker missiles, to boost up those heavy guns even more we add another superb Hammerhead Gunship. Alternativly we could've opted for some Broadisde Battlesuits, but the mobile firepower of the Hammerhead, coupled with its impressive survivability and value for points is too good to sniff at another. To make the list totally balanced and ready for anything I have chosen to give this Hammerhead an Ion Cannon, excellent versus medium/light vehicles and anything in power armour!

Our final list -

[size=8pt]HQ -

Shas'el, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker - 85
Ethereal - 50

TROOPS -

10 Kroot - 70
10 Kroot - 70
12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui, - 225
[Devilfish with Decoy Launchers]
12 Fire Warriors, Shas'ui - 130

ELITES -

6 Stealth Suits - 180
2 Crisis Suits, Twin Linked Plasma Rifles, Flamers - 120
1 Crisis Suit, Twin Linked Missile Pod, Flamer - 57

FAST ATTACK -

8 Pathfinders, Shas'ui - 201
[Devilfish with Decoy Launchers, 2 Seeker Missiles]

HEAVY SUPPORT -

Hammerhead Gunship, Railgun, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker - 165
Hammerhead Gunship, Ion Cannon, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker - 145

TOTAL - 1498[/size]

So there we have it, some things such as configurations and upgrades on battlesuits and tanks can be tailored to each player's desire, but this is a list capable of taking on all on comers, balanced and can hold its own against any oppositon I hope it serves anyone who uses it well (does the trick for me!).

Keep following the Greater Good until next months final installment!

Brought to you by your friendly Aun'Ro'Elan 42 [/size]
Old 01 Aug 2005, 15:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Building a Tau Army - Part 3

I take it that all 3 crisis are team leaders since they all have TL primary and flamer. I also assume you've taken HW MT?

Why not take HW MT on the 'el and TL his PR?

Wouldn't the kroot have more effect and abilty to remain on the board as a single unit of 20?

I just am curious since I haven't played at 1500 points before.

Wanax
Old 01 Aug 2005, 17:05   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Wanax
I take it that all 3 crisis are team leaders since they all have TL primary and flamer.* I also assume you've taken HW MT?

Why not take HW MT on the 'el and TL his PR?

Wouldn't the kroot have more effect and abilty to remain on the board as a single unit of 20?

I just am curious since I haven't played at 1500 points before.

Wanax
I doubt the crisis suit have a MT.* The TLPR are two weapon slots and the flamer is the third and final slot.* If he would want to put on the MT, he would have to make one a leader +5 and then pay +10 to get it from the armoury, this means that only one in that elite sqad would be able to MT.* *Considering he doenst have many "extra points" "1498 out of 1500," those extra points would make him reduce his army in other things to make point space.* Also, with a flamer and TLPR... chances are you would only use the flamer as a last resort for close combat and not as a prime option (thus the reason why his HQ has MT, since it carries two long distance weapons).* So MT is not really "needed."

As for the Kroot being in differ squads...* I can understand the idea behind "single unit of 20."* I do not like my kroot running (falling back) and I love to see 60 rolls for close combat XD (2 close combat attacks + 1 for assulting=* 3 attacks.... 3 attacks X 20=60 close combat rolls).

But the Kroot play a differ role in his squad...
"Just a quick remiender on the roles of the Kroot - Infiltrate, Harrass, Annoy, Distract, Ambush, Snipe, Intimidate, Hold...a commander's dream!"
They are meant to slow down the enemy and are thus considered expendiable.

Its a well balanced army, I like it.* It is prepared for anything.* Good Job.
(I have magnets on my crisis suits which help me ALOT.* I can adapt to the army I am going against and at times, save points since TL plasmas are expensive. (TL burst for troop poping, TL MP for transport busting, TL plasma for the SM, etc etc)

Old 01 Aug 2005, 17:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I take it that all 3 crisis are team leaders since they all have TL primary and flamer.* I also assume you've taken HW MT?
Nope, as Reyne explained the suits are all really just for the plasma rifles, I will rarely use those flamers, but since I have to fill all of the hardpoints and the flamer is only one more point than a target lock it is better to include the flamer as there is always a possibility it could be used in cityfight/versus hordes of nids or guard when you have your back against the wall.

Quote:

Again, as Reyne said (cheers for the compliaments by the way), I have found that smaller squads of kroot are far easier to get into assault with (its impossible to get 60 attacks on the charge with 20 kroot because you will never be able to get that many into base to base contact anyway) and a lot easier to conceal in cover. I find them much better to use tactically in small ''disposable'' squads where the enemy is much less liekly to ignore them rather than one huge 20-man squad.

Old 01 Aug 2005, 18:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was just wondering.* I have 3 crisis all team leaders with HWMT TLPR and MP.* I just like as many shots as possible on every target.* Last game I penetrated with MP and it stuned a rhino and squad inside.* Then I hit again with plasma and the vehicle exploded.* Now THAT's the kind of action I'm talking about!

Oh yea, the PR works good at 8" too, but the template is nice for nids.

I see your small kroot theory, but my kroot get destroyed often.* I'm running 12 man unit and it takes an act of god to let me get into CC.* No one is dumb enough to wander into the woods to fight them, and almost no wood is large enough to keep from from being shot at.* Heavy bolters and lascannons seem to melt them in place.

I was thinking about larger kroot squad in order to stick around long enough to get two shots off, but you are definately using them differently than I do.* I try to use them to keep SM off my FW.

Wanax
Old 01 Aug 2005, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I see, unfortunately that combination is just a bit too expensive for me, and crisis suits never make up a large part of my plans anyway. However if something works for you then stick with it, I just made this list for beginners as a totally versatile, takes on all races list.

Old 01 Aug 2005, 18:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I am going to try the split kroot option. Using them as you do brings some dynamic to their play.

Yes the fireknife is expensive. My problem is that dice never seem to follow my commands Thus I need as many opportunities as possible to roll well :

Wanax
Old 01 Aug 2005, 21:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

All too painful, I know what you mean however I seem to be quite lucky with the dice actually. If you really need your crisis to hit though, and where hitting and missing will make all the difference (e.g wiping out deep striking termies before they assault you) then try using markerlights to aid those plasma rifles/missile pods etc. They work a treat I find when you want to unleash a unstoppable salvo of important fire.