Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shooting space marines
Closed Thread
Old 01 Aug 2005, 00:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dave
Default Shooting space marines

i've played against a all shooting infantry space marine army.

They kill everything in LOS and also my tanks ...

With only infantry, mu friend spares a lot of points and has his heavy weapons saved by the units... (lots of lasers, heavy bolters ...)
They are in number (+- 50 for a 1000 pts army) and rock if you try to assaut them because they are all very closed and always use a mass effect.

How could i destroy such army ??? (they shoot better, they fight better, they have a better save and they are in very bigger number)
Old 01 Aug 2005, 00:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Shooting space marines

search for the term JSJ

Jump-Shoot-Jump... since as you said he can only shoot what pokes its nose out... do this a couple of times and i guarantee he'll have had enuff by turn 2 or so...
Old 01 Aug 2005, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire

Try 71 FW, a tankbusting shas'o (MPod, FBlaster, SGenerator, HW MTracker) and a Railhead with BCannon and MTracker. There's enough firepower to beat an Imperial Guard Infantry Platoon! ;D

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 01 Aug 2005, 17:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
i've played against a all shooting infantry space marine army.

They kill everything in LOS and also my tanks ...

With only infantry, mu friend spares a lot of points and has his heavy weapons saved by the units... (lots of lasers, heavy bolters ...)
They* are in number (+- 50 for a 1000 pts army) and rock if* you try to assaut them because they are all very closed and always use a mass effect.

How could i destroy such army ??? (they shoot better, they fight better, they have a better save and they are in very bigger number)
By lasers, i take it you mean lascannons?

Ok, firstly instead of playing "kill the other guy", try a mission based objective, such as recon. Games that are more tactically demanding, are more fun.
Secondly, what type of boards do you play? Make sure at minimum its 6' by 4'. And make sure your board has lots of terrain. GW specifically state 25% of boards should be covered by terrain. It blocks LOS a huge deal (good), stops games becoming the "slugging matches" that you seem to be having, and makes it more fun.

Regarding your forces, mobility, ans smart firepower are the greatest strengths of the tau. the SM force you mention is a pure slugging force. it sits and shoots. Force him out of that ethos, and make him play recon. make him play missions that require more than half a braincell to play!

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 02 Aug 2005, 05:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You know, you could just try indirect weapons as well. Even if you need to, you can just slug around a few Broadsides until you get within range of those SMSs. Once you get within 24" with no LoS, then you can start a withering hail of indirect fire. SMurfs have only one (normally) form of indirect weapons, and that's the Whirlwind. Since he doesn't have any of those (from what I can tell), your indirects will be much more useful, and you know what, even if you only get one kill a turn, and only get to shoot for two turns, if you played your cards right, then you beat that guy by simply not taking any casualties.
A static army like that is weak against many different things, and the most important thing is making it so the guy has to move to even try shooting at anything you have, negating the guy's heavy weapons completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 02 Aug 2005, 08:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

A huge advantage in a 1000+ pts game is that we can field Pathfinders.

A full squad will give you 4 marks and (depending on your choice of heavy weaponry) can launch some strength 8 seeker missles, plasma shots or ion cannon shots all of which wounds the marines on a 2+ and gives you a minimum 30" to play with (I tend to count the j-s-j of the crisis suit to the weapon range)

A true threat for your Tank are those pesky marines being able to field a heavy weapon option with almost every troops choice! The thing that I found is that they need to be static to use them. We have skimmers. Unless you land on difficult terrain, you should be fine. I suggest getting a hammerhead with an ion cannon (more shots negating the SM save) and put a multitracker as an added option. With this upgrade, you can move up to 12" and still fire all weapons. I highly suggest using the terrain to your advantage.

I once fought against these SM with deepstriking grey knights as allies. I deployed in heavy cover to maximize my pulse rifles, no tanks, but lots of crisis suits with high strength weapons. Just with careful j-s-j and focused fire, I managed to whittle down his forces.

Sure, his commander made all his 2+ saves assaulted me and killed all my troops, I still won because I kept the objective and I killed more of his army.

Hope this little blurb of mine helped.

Cheers!!

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
Old 02 Aug 2005, 14:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Against a shooty SM army, you NEED Crisis Battlesuits (Shas'uis and a Shas'el/Shas'O), Stealth Battlesuits, and Drones. They all have jetpacks, and that is the trick. With jumping in and out of LOS shooting with Fireknife (Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker), or maybe just Deathrain (Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer/Target Lock), you should blow away his lascannons so your FW and HH can get out of cover and begin killing. Pathfinders will be good in 1500+ armies to make Crisis battlesuits more accurate and for using Rail Rifles (blow through Power Armor) and Seeker Missiles. Deep-striking Drones will occupy the SM for a turn or so. Since it is shooty, he PROBABLY doesn't have Dreadnoughts, Assault Infanty, or Power Weapon or Power Fist-equipped Terminators, so CC won't be AS bad against you. If no fast or CC-based troops are there, take out anything that could destroy your Devilfishs and Hammerheads, like things with Lascannons Then move mounted FW and Hammerheads out of cover. Use the jump-shoot-jump still with the battlesuits (Crisis and Stealth), use FOF to get 24 S5 shots at the SM, hopefully killing a few, use Railheads (Hammerhead w/ Railgun) to blow apart his tanks and heavily armored things, and use Ionheads to kill off the Medium and Heavy infantry. With no Devestator squads, Predators, Land Raiders, Terminators, or anything with Lascannons left, his normal troops should fall easily to your FW and Crisis battlesuit Plasma Rifles.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread