Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Defense of the kroots
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jul 2005, 22:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dave
Default Defense of the kroots

I've annihilated by a friend playing a lot of scouts in his army.

He's a SM player and attacks my crisis team and FW with his scouts immedialtly.

What can i do against it? The first idea i had was deploing near my fw to allow them to assaut the ennemi scouts next turn and try to destroy them.

My second idea is special :

IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE A CIRCLE OF KROOTS AND PLACE A CRISIS TEAM INSIDE IT? so that y mus first attack the kroots while the crisis could go far away?

I've seen nothing in the rule book against it.... ???

Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Defense of the kroots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I've annihilated by a friend playing a lot of* scouts in his army.

He's a SM player and attacks my crisis team and FW with his scouts immedialtly.

What can i do against it? The first* idea i had was deploing near my fw to allow them to assaut the ennemi scouts next turn and try to destroy them.

My second idea is special :

IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE A CIRCLE OF KROOTS AND PLACE A CRISIS TEAM INSIDE IT? so that y mus first attack the kroots while the crisis could go far away?

I've seen nothing in the rule book against it....* ???

he's playing against the rules. If he infiltrates his scouts, the closest he can get is "outside 12". he can't assault you.

hmm. you could try mechanising your forces. scouts cant dent a devilfish.

another thing. try keeping your crisis suits locked away behind cover, at least 18" from any scouts. and they're safe from any harm

then its simply a case of unloading your forces, and missile podding/ pulse rifling his force to ribbons.

and alas, you cant circle crisis suits with kroot.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Technically, you could encircle your Crisis with Kroot (as long as they're in unit cohesion), but it would be a waste of effort: all he has to do is pass a Ld test to shoot at the Crisis, and knowing Marines, he'll have a 10.

As far as him attacking your units with Scouts, what exactly is he doing? Assualting? Sniping? Arming them with bolters and just attacking at range? There are several different strategies for each of these; we need more information before we can give you any more than, "If he does x, do y."
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY
Technically, you could encircle your Crisis with Kroot (as long as they're in unit cohesion), but it would be a waste of effort: all he has to do is pass a Ld test to shoot at the Crisis, and knowing Marines, he'll have a 10.

As far as him attacking your units with Scouts, what exactly is he doing? Assualting? Sniping? Arming them with bolters and just attacking at range? There are several different strategies for each of these; we need more information before we can give you any more than, "If he does x, do y."
ok
so he puts he scouts at 12' of my crisis-plasma team(s) then assut them.

All his army is SM with guns waiting for you ... 6 lasers, heavy weapons maximizing his shooting power and suvivabilty by puting his big guns in the max squad possible. With no vehicules. for 1000 pts he had about 50 marines shooting and waiting.
The only moves he makes is twith he scouts ... at my crisis! If a make a move, i'm dead. If i show a tank ... it's destroy immediatly... if i hit a sqad he came back out of los before i gain the victory points ...

his army is a plague ... !!!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
so he puts he scouts at 12' of my crisis-plasma team(s) then assut them.
That's illegal. He has to put them outside of twelve inches, not at twelve inches.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 00:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i dont see why you cant encircle a broadside say with kroot... the movement rules say they cant move through an enemy unit unless its base can pass between them, right? now, JUMP assault squads would be a different story...

btw: does choosing who to assault need a leadership check if its not the closest? hmm new one on me... by the same token, can a unit assault a target he cant TARGET? (Ind Char.)
Old 01 Aug 2005, 00:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Yes, encircling your suits with kroot would prevent them from being assaulted. It would also be a poor use of kroot.

Like others have said, infiltration only allows him to be outside 12 inches at the very least. It is IMPOSSIBLE for him to assault you first turn, no matter how it looks like he's measuring. With your movement and assault jumps you should be able to get away. Have your nearest fire warriors run away while farther ones shoot, but be careful not to let him get within 12 inches of anybody. A team of infiltrating scouts should not be a problem, either because you will shoot them to pieces or you will ignore them. You can almost always get away from early assaults.

You don't need a leadership to assault anybody. You just need to be able to reach. You can charge an IC, if you can reach. The only exception is if you shoot - you must charge the unit you shoot at, if you charge anybody.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 04:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Defense of the kroot

Kroot is the plural of kroot, like fish or sheep.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 01 Aug 2005, 04:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
hmm. you could try mechanising your forces. scouts cant dent a devilfish.
they can... one scout in each squad can have a missile launcher. i would suggest having smaller squads of FW, but more squads, place two near each suit team, if a squad is attacked, move the hell away but in rapid fire range... dedicate whats left to firing at his scout squad, i use this tactic with the 13th company using a rune preist with The Gate psychic power and bunching his squads and then telporting out ready for a squad with two flamers in it to hose down the squads there.... great tactic
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 01 Aug 2005, 06:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Remember He can not be within 18" if their is LOS to the scouts. To be as close as 12" from your unit, your unit must not have LOS to the scouts, meaning the scouts are hiding behind terrain, etc.

How do you relieve this problem? Simple, just dont put crisis suits further then any other units. If you simply put FWs (or kroot) in front of them, your opponint cannot get within 12" of that unit, meaing that those scouts would be even farther away from you crisis suits. Take note, his infultrators are not allowed to assault you in the first turn, it is impossible as he has to be further then 12" when deploying. \

You can also counter his influtrators with your own. Remember Kroot and Stealth Suits can infultrate. Hopefully you will be lucky enough to win the roll for influtrators, so you can simply put them where you dont want him deploying, because he cannot deploy within 12" of this unit as-well.