Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How were drones crippled by GW?
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jul 2005, 22:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default How were drones crippled by GW?

Could someone please explain for the greater good why drones were considered to have been crippled by GW?
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:23   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: How were drones crippled by GW?

Majority armor/toughness saves? It's in the rulebook.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Basically, because of Majority Armor and Toughness, it ends up being easier to wound the Drones than the units they're designed to cover (namely, Crisis among others), meaning that the unit as a whole ends up taking more hits than it should. Once the unit has fewer Drones than units it's guarding, besides obvious morale check problems (which to be fair, have always been there), Drones no longer take hits first.

I think I'll still end up using them for my Broadsides, but not my Crisis; Shield Generators just don't cut it for such an expensive unit.

As far as this topic goes, try the search function: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?action=search, you'll find a shibuttload of treads about this.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 01 Aug 2005, 00:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

another minor change (or maybe its always been this way, i dunno) is that Drones are bought for Suits as Wargear.... YET if you are a solo Suit (monat) with two drones, and a drone gets shot.. you have to take a morale check for losing 25% of your squad.

even worse, say youre a solo broadside, and think of taking 2 shield drones as protection. if things get rough, and your drones are gone.. guess what?? your doing last man standing checks for the rest of the game!!!! and if your broadside has a wound and didnt pay for being bonded, and fails a morale check (for losing DRONES???), it CANT regroup. >

that is the thing that really bothers me about drones being broken... the Majority toughness thing really only screwed Troops whose sarge took a couple drones.... the suits, by taking 2 drones, WILL be outnumbered, and they'll work as advertized. just be sure a group of 3 crisis ALL paid for 2 drones if you wanna keep this benefit.. which is a pain, but does fit the fluff.

however getting a drone you bought as wargear killed shouldnt bother anyone in the least....
Old 01 Aug 2005, 00:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I've heard people say majority ARMOR. I am only aware of majority toughness.

Can someone tell me what page number (small battle for macragge rulebook) the majority ARMOR rules are on, or what information is on the pages around them... or else just clarify if/how majority armor rules work.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 02:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Pg 76.. big box labeled "Mixed Armor"
Old 01 Aug 2005, 03:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Oh, thanks a lot Calaban... I dunno why on earth they put it there.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 03:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to tolson88 Send a message via MSN to tolson88

Yes, drones were crippled by GW... but most opponent who aren't jerks will let you ignore those rules. At least that's the case where I play. I doubt that would happen at a major tournament, but even in local tourneys most opponents are willing to let you ignore the stupid stuff. But GW definitely needs to change that. It's stupid for wargear to cause morale checks. If a Runepriest with fenrisian wolves has both wolves die, does he have to take a AOYO test for the rest of the game? nope. So why us? drones arent' even living!
Closed Thread