Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best defence
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jul 2005, 07:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Best defence

I am curious as to the thoughts on end-loading out there.

What units and unit combinations/formations/configurations do you think are the best survivors/enduring units for tau?
Old 31 Jul 2005, 10:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Best defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick

What units and unit combinations/formations/configurations do you think are the best survivors/enduring units for tau?
With the esception of 2 suits, all our infantry is t3, and aside from suits, the best save we can hope for is 4+. The simple truth is tau are very fragile.

Best survivors?
Our armour. Devilfish, Hammerheads.
Our mobility. jsj, and the ability to rapidly redeploy to aoid dangerous units
sensible use of cover

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 31 Jul 2005, 13:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick

Don't forget this tid-bit as well: A good offense is a good defense.

The Tau are a surgical focus fire army. If we mobilize and stick together so we can move, unload good firepower on a single target and do this over and over, sure, we may take casualties, but we will remove their entire force this way while taking less damage than he will, because we have say, 5 units focusing on a single one, versus he has several units which may only focus on one of ours, so our tempo isn't really effected. Plus, as we take them out one by one, we're selecting them via a target prioritization scheme to remove the biggest threats first, so it's progressive in that we remove the things that hurt until not much is left so it gets easier for us as we go, yet it gets harder for them as they lose their important units against us. Tau can have incredibly good tempo, using focused fire and a good prioritization in mind.

If you can blast away most of his army while speeding around, you will take casualty as well, but generally it will be less than his, and in the end, you're the one scoring.

Cheers!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 14:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

are tanks make us very hard to kill and devil fish just keep moving and shooting

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 31 Jul 2005, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you. I see, he who shoots first, shoots last.

I am looking for alternate means to deal with ultra tough and resiliant foes such as Terminators and necrons, remembering that fire power and mobility can be limited. A player in my area likes to keep his three maxed destroyer squads very close together, turbo boosting in pursuit of me. It feels as if its not uncommon for me to face situations where I am denied cover and mobility is not in my advantage.

In my store strength 8+ templates are dropped like its going out of style. I get all kinds of nasty monsters spit out the backside of fast moving vehicles and charging into the back of my deployment zone (or simply unloading their firepower) in a drug induced rage. Or naked women with claws riding horses sprouting out of some guy's head and tossed across half the stage before I can take a shot.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 19:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If an opponent pulled 15 Necron Destroyers out of his case, I would walk over to his side of the table, punch him in the nuts and leave the store. That's the lamest thing I've ever heard. Honestly, you don't have to play these people...
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Closed Thread