Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

EMP grenades on Pathfinders???
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jul 2005, 04:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default EMP grenades on Pathfinders???

i read this somewhere in here... and its sorta stuck in my skull ever since... maybe its the sneaky bastige thing about it, or maybe its the "huh??!!" factor... i dunno, so id like to talk about it.

my biggest reason for not really even trying it is that Pathfinders are Kill It!! target #2 (after HammerHeads, IMHO) for most knowledgeable enemies, so what good would charging up on a Land Raider with a squad do? we cant assault off a transport. and the transport wont last long at 12". hmmm...

it would make for a GREAT warstory though.... (detour of train of thought....)
"so there i was staring at a Land Raider... so i charged my Pathfinder Devilfish up to EMP it, hoping it would somehow escape notice.. nope! POW devilfish down! nasty wreck, but my pathfinders did pretty well (they basically get TWO 4+ saves.. most made it), and were entagled, but hey!! they were in GREAT cover, and made it to my turn.... then they ran up, Carbined the Land Raider just for fun (and the look on the other guys face..), then.. (snicker!) ASSAULTED! couple of 4-6's later... dead Land Raider! then, oddly enuff, the table flipped over!"

:P seriously though, is there merit? is there some other/better way to use these (i think) pretty kewl grenades (hey! no armor pen, afterall!!)?

Old 31 Jul 2005, 05:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: EMP grenades on Pathfinders???

Unless you plan on sacrificing firewarriors to be dedicated EMP delivery guys, which is not a good use for them, the only way to use EMP's is to give them to a small suicide squad of human auxilliaries.

Buying EMP's for pathfinders makes them cost as much as a space marine! Too much for me, since you will rarely get a chance to make use of those points spent if you are playing your pathfinders properly.

Even with humans it is questionable whether or not it is a good idea to take EMP's- I recently took a small squad (6) with EMP's to a tourney and the only time that I could have used them I forgot about them until it was too late ( I could have taken out a land raider, I mean I had a chance to take one out ).

They seem to be a weapon of last resort, because suicide runs won't usually work, and they generally don't fit in with the way I play.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 06:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Calaban:

EMP Pathfinder tank buster squads were a stable of 3rd edition. Pathfinders had a lot of use back then and saw the table quite a bit. They were screened and all, but the fun part was their EMP bombardment. The free scout move allowed them a 12 inch thrust, and then again, in the movement, another 12 inch trust. Only back then, we could still assault, just like marines used to be able to assault, using their "rhino rush" and sling shot tactics. It was widely used to move 24 inches and charge another 6 into something important with 8 EMP grenades, making for a nice explosion and it worked nicely.

Unfortunately, now in 4th edition, we can no longer assault out of our Fish, so the EMP becomes a very mute upgrade as it requires us a good turn of "sitting duck" before we get a chance to use it.

The EMP upgrade is still useful, but it's just not what it used to be, so most people avoid it like the plague. Personally, EMP's are very expensive and the squad itself can be used for far better rolls. Normal Fire Warriors can grab the same thing, so why not merely load up many squads of Fire Warriors with EMP grenades, mounted in Fish and speed across the way to assault. Several small squads will have better chances of actually making it to do such a thing rather than a single one.

The main downside is the price as we all know. Adding even more points to an already expensive squad setup just to throw some grenades that have poor chances to blow up tanks is not exactly a wise move. It's fun, but just not the sage methods of a railgun. Now, if we had a Haywire version of the grenade, it would be awesome, but our EMP grenades are just not worth their 3 points, unless you're totally desperate for anti-tank support. Glancing on average, but only getting a penetrating hit on the best roll of a 6, well, it's exactly fine dining so to speak.

Worth a try for fun, but don't expect it to work very often

Cheers!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 16:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not sure exactly when scout moves take place "before first turn", but it seems like a good move if you're assured first turn. 12" devilfish move and deploy before first turn, then 6" move, 6" assault... if you deployed them well, it's so crazy it just might work. You're going to hit and glance on a 4+, meaning that a full squad will get at least two hits, and so long as you stun or immobilize it, you'll probably have a good amount of cover on your opponent's turn.

EMP grenades are also worthwhile if you're worried about a deep-striking monolith. It's hard to hit, but immobilizing it and parking in front of it's door will mean no more teleporting necrons.

http://RyanCannon.com
Old 31 Jul 2005, 17:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

To me the best use for EMP grenades is to scare an enemy out of using tank shock. But they're too expensive for that, really.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 06:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Their great for messing with your regular opponints. I took them once on my FWs, and now my frined is afraid of letting his LR go anywhere near my FW lines >. They dident even kill anything with EMPs in the game I used them in, but once my frined saw the possible consiquences, he kept his distance.
Old 01 Aug 2005, 11:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Their great for messing with your regular opponints. I took them once on my FWs, and now my frined is afraid of letting his LR go anywhere near my FW lines >. They dident even kill anything with EMPs in the game I used them in, but once my frined saw the possible consiquences, he kept his distance.
Prime example employment of EMP grenades. Good job, sir!

I did the same thing. In combat patrols as well as normal sized games, every now and then I shifted the list to allow the Troops to carry EMP's just to try them but also to interrupt my opponents who take heavy armor too close to the "little guys" who normally cannot scratch it. Finding out that the little guys can assault and roll dice and glance things with decent odds scares most players to keep their armor away and I find less chimeras pulling up too close, thinking their A12 will save them for a turn from pulse fire, but I saw much less action from the heavy armor trying to push into the line.

They're still not economical in terms of an upgrade for me, but every now and then, they were a blast (literally) to sneak into the list that someone normally wasn't used to seeing happen. It's funny what people try when they think you cannot do anything to a piece of armor that they shove in your face, should your only obvious anti-tank be removed as casualty prior

Cheers!