Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

strategy
View Poll Results: when do you stratergise (please read thread first)
Before the game 3 37.50%
During the game 4 50.00%
Neither, Go in blind 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Apr 2011, 18:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Exclamation strategy

hello all i was just wondering how/when you developed your strategy for your game's, weather it was before your games and then adapted them acourdinaly to your situation or during your games.

Also what kind of techniques do you use?

please let me now and post you opinion in the poll above.
-maddosammo-

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 16 Apr 2011 at 18:55.
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 19:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Generally I consider how I want the units to interact, what units will be targeting what kinds of threats, and under what circumstances. There is also a basic idea of how my units will be moving in concert with each other, trying not to block LOS to my markerlights, using vehicles for screening, etc.

But all of those details are tentative. They are all subject to modification or outright elimination from the game plan when I find out my opponent, terrain setup, mission, etc. I'd place most of my 'planning' efforts in the in-game phase due to these conditions being unknown, especially in games held at the game shops.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 19:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I set a basic battle plan before hand but such things never survive first contact unless you face an opponent you planned for and they do just as you want them to. In most cases the initial plan is just preplanning that is then adapted depending upon exactly what kind of army I am facing, terrain, etc.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 20:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I build an army list beforehand with a "style" in mind i focus on the strengths of that style and select the units that best represent it once i have a list that is efficient with it's points and has no units that operate out of sync i then fault check for weaknesses sometimes but rarely these days i may change the list due to it's weaknesses.

so i don't much as develop a strategy but a list that works my strategies are purely developed based on opponents and terrain.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 20:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well me personaly i set a slight out line at the begining of the game and then work out how to kill him as i go through just like tehlegend

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2011, 08:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I adapt to the way the game is being played, scenary, objectives. I sometimes get an idea of what I want to do before the game, however until I know who I'm playing i can't make much of a plan.

After playing the same army/player a number of times it can help me make my plan of action.
Old 17 Apr 2011, 11:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I clicked ''Before'' however that is not entirely true. I strategize before, durring and after a battle.
I started strategizing when I picked up my first chaos sorcerer in my early teens and I havent stopped yet.
Old 17 Apr 2011, 17:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irtehdar View Post
I clicked ''Before'' however that is not entirely true. I strategize before, durring and after a battle.
I started strategizing when I picked up my first chaos sorcerer in my early teens and I havent stopped yet.
Yeah i think thats true for most people anyone who strategies purely before a game is making a mistake anyone who strategies purely during the game is probably bringing a weak list that has problems.

and the best way to learn is from your mistakes so analyzing matches afterwards is always of benefit (if you can remember them accurately)
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2011, 20:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
and the best way to learn is from your mistakes so analyzing matches afterwards is always of benefit (if you can remember them accurately)
And if you cant remember them accurately you can always take pictures.
However IMO the best way of learning is through other peoples mistakes before they become your mistakes.
On the rare occations I get to go to a tournament Im always zapping away with my camera. And when Im not busy admirering other peoples minis or playing games I find other tau players and watch their games.