Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuit mentor
Old 14 Apr 2011, 17:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Cool Battlesuit mentor

Truth is that I don't know much about battlesuits, only fire warriors. And basically, I need help learning about it. Can anyone (with too much time on there hands) mentor me about battlesuits, tipes, weapons, upgrades, ect. If you would be willing to help me while my codex is in enemy hands (well.. friends hands )

romanmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:26   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Read the thread at the top of the forum about xv8s
Splatterfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll be happy to help anyway i can but for starters the best overall/all rounder suit is the fireknife which is plasma rifle missile pod and multitracker use this for now to learn generally about crisis suits and what their good for then you can move onto more specialized suits like the helios plasma rifle fusion blaster great for terminators heavy tanks etc this should be deepstriked due to the limited range of the fusion blaster.

the jobs of most other suit configurations can and probably should be left to other units like anti horde to hammerheads and firewarriors for example.

if you have any specific questions let me know and i'll do my best to answer them
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2011, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, so whats a fusion blaster stats and its for tanks right? I rilly like plasma rifles, MY friend likes Tanks and ratlings, I will need a: 50% anti-tank, 30% infantry, 20% emplacements. I would like to have the pros+ cons of all weapons available for crisis battlesuits. Like I stated before, I would like to have plasma rifles. You can have 2 plasma rifles right (not twin linked)? Thanks for helping me so much!

Old 15 Apr 2011, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And what are missile pods best used for (stats if i may) is it for infantry? no need for stats for fusion blaster, i got them in rulebook. also, when the crisis battlesuit is moving with jet pack does it get bonuses?

Old 15 Apr 2011, 19:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmaster View Post
Ok, so whats a fusion blaster stats and its for tanks right? I rilly like plasma rifles, MY friend likes Tanks and ratlings, I will need a: 50% anti-tank, 30% infantry, 20% emplacements. I would like to have the pros+ cons of all weapons available for crisis battlesuits. Like I stated before, I would like to have plasma rifles. You can have 2 plasma rifles right (not twin linked)? Thanks for helping me so much!
Fusion blaster is str 8 AP 1 12" range for 12 and it's a melta weapon Assault 1 yeah it's mainly for tanks but is naturally quite good for terminators and the like as well.

ok so pros and cons of each weapon (in my opinion)

Airbursting fragmentation projector

Pros
Large blast
Ignores cover saves

Cons
can only have one
It's special issue

Burst Cannon

Pros
Cheap

Cons
limited range
limited firepower

Cyclic Ion canon

Pros
Effective or at least can be effective against a wide range of enemies
Lot of firepower
High AP considering the number of shots and cost

Cons
Limited range
low strength relative to other Tau weapons
Somewhat relies of luck for rending.
it's special issue
can only have one

Flamer

Pros
very cheap
very effective against horde

Cons
very limited range which makes it quite dangerous to use

Fusion Blaster

Pros
Best anti tank weapon for crisis suits
Effective against a lot of high value enemies

Cons
Limited range which can make it dangerous to use

Missile Pod

Pros
Massive Range
Effective against a wide variety of targets
relatively cheap
Best crisis suit weapon

Cons
None considering the cost

Plasma rifle

Pros
Good range
Effective against a wide variety of enemies
Rapid fire

Cons
Expensive

and for the last question you can not have two of the same weapon unless they are twin linked the one and only exception to this (for now) is Commander Shadowsuns Advanced target lock which allows her to have two fusion blasters.

Quote:
And what are missile pods best used for (stats if i may) is it for infantry? no need for stats for fusion blaster, i got them in rulebook. also, when the crisis battlesuit is moving with jet pack does it get bonuses?
stats of a missile pod are range 36" str 7 AP 4 Assault 2 costs 12 points.

Missile pods are one of the most versatile weapons in the codex it's used on anything between the extremes of 2+ armour troops like terminators and heavy tanks/transports like 12 or more armour.

It's probably BEST against really fast infantry bikes and the like because of it's range you can fire every turn and keep your distance it's also quite effective against light transports like rhinos or any dark eldar vehicles.

As for moving with the jetpack it doesn't really get bonuses per say other than the ability to move 6" in the assault range which is the jetpack of course the only thing that could be considered a bonus i suppose is the fact it also confers the relentless special rule on the crisis suits

You can't for example turbo boost for cover or anything like that.

in response to the 50% anti tank 30% infantry thing thats gonna have to be up to yourself how many of each type of suit you bring and where and how much you leave that task to other units in your army for example i wouldn't generally recommend using crisis suits for anti infantry because their best anti infantry weapons are 18" range which can leave them vulnerable to assault from certain types of units i find it's best to leave anti infantry to hammerheads and Firewarriors.

Emplacements also isn't so much a thing for suits as for markerlights to be effective against things in cover all Tau units be it crisis suits or firewarriors etc the best way is to use markerlights to negate cover.

For example against the ratlings you only really have three choices get close enough to use flamers (not recommended) fire so much at them that their cover save doesn't help (not very efficient) or use a pathfinder team to markerlight them negate their cover and toss some missile pods or whatever you want at them.

Of course the airbursting frag launcher ignores cover too but ratling squads tend to be small and well spaced so a single template won't do an awful lot but the ratlings will probably run since their leadership sucks so bad.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 15 Apr 2011 at 19:54.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

your wright fast...

Old 15 Apr 2011, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the help, that will be all. Although, the basic crisis is what you said earlier, but what other ranks are there, how much do they cost, and what do they give you for bonuses? (thanks for help so much)

Old 16 Apr 2011, 00:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Thanks for the help, that will be all. Although, the basic crisis is what you said earlier, but what other ranks are there, how much do they cost, and what do they give you for bonuses? (thanks for help so much)
The first level up is Team leader for 5 points this small price increase gives you access to the the non-special issue battlesuit wargear list the best of which are the hardwired mulitracker and hardwired drone controller the benefits of hardwired gear is that it does not take up hard points on the suit.

for example you can upgrade your fireknife we discussed previously to plasma rifle missile pod targeting array AND hardwired multitracker.

The next level after that is shas'vre for an additional 5 points or 10 points over the basic suit cost this allows you access to the special issue wargear like the cyclic ion blaster or the stimulant injector

it also gives you +1 to you weapon skill and initiative

After that your into your HQ's first of which is Shas'el his 50 points for this he counts as a HQ for your army list gets +1 BS +1W +1 attack and +1 leadership over the shas'vre model and like the shas'vre access to all weapons

and the last is the big daddy Shas'o all the thrills of shas'el but you get a further +1 WS +1BS +1W +1A and +1 leadership his 75 points
Old 16 Apr 2011, 01:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Is there anything I can do to get my toughness up? A lascannon can cause instant death to all of them! A hardwired multi-tracker, doesn't that give you access to three weapons fired per tern?