Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Taking Reccomendations
Old 13 Apr 2011, 23:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Taking Reccomendations

Hello friends. I am new to the Greater Good and 40k. I would appreciate some advice from veterans on what units to acquire and how to equip them. Thank you.
cwidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2011, 23:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Some of the main tips:

Battleforce Kit is a good start

When buying hammerheads or really any main tank buy the skyray it's 3 kits in one (Hammerhead Skyray and even Devilfish)

If you think of playing Kroot then Kroot hounds are a good purchase

You can mod FW's into pathfinders so you don't have to buy the metal ones

Magnets for Crisis suits highly recomended by me. Place magnets into arm and weapon and then you can tailor your crisis suit to whatever you want whenever you want

(on a side note square magnets work best with the CIB and AFP otherwise the weapons tend to dip down)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head
Old 14 Apr 2011, 15:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Additionally, if you have the points get broadsides. Personally i always try to field at least one even as low as a 500pt match. I play larger games these days so I field full teams/squads of three. My team leader I field with the twin linked plasma rifles and the other 2 with the smart missile system though some like Antisocialnerd I believe field them all with twin linked plasma rifles. My team leader I also equip with hard wired drone controller so I can take a pair of shield drones, a hard wired target lock and (excuse my brain fart) but the device to up your ballistic skill by 1. the 2 with smart missiles one will get a target lock and the other the device for +1 ballistic skill. Thus 2 of the units have a +1 to BS and 2 can split their fires. That way if need be I can slam all my railgun fires into one nasty target or if facing something like dark eldar I can split my fires against 3 lighter armored targets possibly (usually) crippling or destryoing multiple targets at once.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2011, 02:32   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Thanks

Again I say thank you, and add the question, "Where can you get the small magnets?" Also, what would you recomend to take against armies of IG and Black Reach units?
cwidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2011, 13:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwidje View Post
Again I say thank you, and add the question, "Where can you get the small magnets?" Also, what would you recomend to take against armies of IG and Black Reach units?
hammerheads for the large blast template, a command crisis suit with the AFP (airbursting fragmentation projector), anything with burst cannons and firewarriors with pulse rifles (30" range and cheap). Probably also some kroot for CC but that is just me.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 16:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I started out with only some kroot and a squad of fire warriors, I became the bane of small battles at the local gaming club!
Old 15 Apr 2011, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh with the current rules and other armies updated codexs our real bread and butter are small engagements of 1000pts or less. Really 500 to 750 is best, we are a terror at those pt levels. We can still fight and win a decent percentage of the time in bigger matches but in the smaller fights we rule.
Old 17 Apr 2011, 16:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The battleforce is the best place to start though.