Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau 2000pt Army
Old 11 Apr 2011, 01:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Sneaky_Jester Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaky_Jester
Default Tau 2000pt Army

This is my first army build. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tau 2000pt Army PDF.zip (33.0 KB, 7 views)

-Shas'O Sa'cea Dre'koran Ta'ar, replying to the Ultramarines ultimatum prior to the annihilation of the Tau colony on Nimbosa.
Sneaky_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2011, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

had a quick skim over dude. Immediate things I notice are the overpriced Grenades. Do yourself a favour and don't take them. If your opponent knows you have them he will just move away from you every turn. If he even moves a little its a 4+ to hit, 6+ if he moves full, then a 50% after that to do damage just isnt worth it. If you culled the grenades you could probably afford some Crisis Suits in your Elites slot with Anti-tank/heavy infantry weapons.
Consider this:
Firewarrios have S5 weapons, Hammerheads S10/6 (submunition), so Crisis Suits have to fill the gap between by bringing (ideally) Missile Pods (S7 AP4) and either Plasma Rifles (S6 AP2) or Meltas (S8 AP1). They exist to do what Fire Warriors cannot so Burst Cannons (S5) are useless.

Stealth Suits are a debatable choice also. At 40 points each (w/ Targeting Arrays) you are better off taking Crisis Suits. That said, they work well in the sense that they have Stealth Suits and can Infiltrate, but Stealth Suits are seeable (with average 2D6 roll of 7) up to 21" and the range of Burst Cannons is only 18". My advice is, take Stealth Suits if you are low on S5 Fire Warriors, and Infiltrate them to harass your oponent from turn 1, ideally popping in and out of cover.

Ethereals are pretty gay though, I wouldn't take them. If you MUST, add some Fire Warrior Honour Guard (2 pts more expensive then regular Fire Warriors, but +1BS, considering the Gun Drones are 12pts each).

Get some Pathfinders, the marker lights will help you in amazing ways. Example of this is, 4 Pathfinders shoot Marker Lights at a unit (4+ = 50%), 2 will hit. Unload a nearby squad of Fire Warriors (12) from a Devilfish within Rapid Fire range and fire Pulse Rifles. 2 marker lights add +2 to BS (up to a max of 5) which means that the 24 shots are hitting on a 2+. Against T3 foes you are wounding on a 2+ and T4 (MEQ) 3+. Either way thats A LOT of hurt for one unit to handle. Bonus is, any extra Marker Lights (since only 2 can be used to push BS to 5) can be expended on reducing cover saves (for Imperial Guard say) or (I think) lowering Leadership. What ever is left of the squad will (most likely) fail a morale check and fall back, so next turn you can Embark in the Devilfish (which can be the Pathfinders Devilfish) and get the Fire Warriors to their next target.

I could go on, but this comment is long enough
Rayza09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2011, 02:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As rayza said, you need to pay attention to the number and strength of shots available in your army. It's natural to have a high number of low strength shots and a low number of high strength shots etc. But you need to make sure you have each in balance, and with a sufficient number of mid strength shots to add extra punch to which ever end of the spectrum you need more strength in. There are plenty of ways to bring the pain in the low strength area of the spectrum, and 2-3 ways to bring our heavy hitting weapons, but there's only 1 truly viable option we have for bringing in the reliable amount of shots en mass between 6-8 and that's on our crisis suits. Don't completely overload on them... but be sure you make them count.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2011, 02:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Sneaky_Jester Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaky_Jester

Well I'm stationed here in Korea and my resources are pretty limited, I haven't been able to find any Pathfinders or Crisis suits, the only one I've found becoming my HQ. Otherwise they would've been implemented in the army. I guess I could check Forgeworld, but I prefer to buy my stuff in person as I can usually haggle the price down a lot.

Doing a second look, the Ethereal does seem pretty redundant with all my Shas'uis, just adding a weak spot on my army.

-Shas'O Sa'cea Dre'koran Ta'ar, replying to the Ultramarines ultimatum prior to the annihilation of the Tau colony on Nimbosa.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 02:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have a solution my friend... eBay!!!
I used to field 2 units of 3 Stealth Suits purely because Crisis Suits are too expensive. I ended up swooping 6 Crisis Suits on eBay (that needed some fixing admittedly, but are good as new now) for $60AUD incl. postage. It was 2 seperate listings of 3 suits each which were selling for $30 + 10 postage, but I said could you do both for $60 incl. postage and he did.

As for Pathfinders, metal models ****ing suck and are overpriced for what you get. Simple take some Fire Warriors, give them Carbines and call them Pathfinders. I don't see why the Pathfinders don't have legging armour or shoulder pads as they still receive a 4+ save like a Fire Warrior so for fluff reasons you could say these guys are ex-fire warriors and prefer to keep their gear (i dunno, be creative!). If you REALLY can't handle that look, you can go ahead and file off the leg armour and not attach the shoulder pads (green stuff can help with making the helmet longer also).

Don't give in to Games Workshop and their bullshit. IMO playing the game is more fun than modelling/painting, so do what you can to get into it asap
Old 11 Apr 2011, 02:34   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah I could do that, I'd like to have those rail rifles, though.

Old 11 Apr 2011, 02:41   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Once again dude, Crisis Suits can do that job better. Rail Rifles are Heavy Weapons so you cant move and fire them. Crisis suits can get you S6 AP2 Plasma Rifles, more mobility + survivability, potential +1BS/twin-linked. Pathfinders should stick to their role of Fast Attack and provisions of Marker Lights.

Im not saying DON'T so this, so heres some help. Max Pathfinders in a squad is 8, so get a box of 12 Fire Warriors and make 8 pathfinders with Carbines, and 3 with Rail Rifles
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewto...144990#p144990

This way you have the options for a squad of 8 w/ 3 having Rail Rifles, and if you don't like them you can trade the 3 Rail Rifles out for Carbine Markerlights. Converting is the best way to go about things like this, the possibilities are endless and you will have unique looking models you can be proud of and showcase

Don't forget, eBay has MANY cheap Fire Warriors available

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Warhammer-Tau...c#ht_653wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Warhammer-40K...#ht_962wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Warhammer-40K...#ht_962wt_1139

Last edited by Rayza09; 11 Apr 2011 at 02:45.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 02:58   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah that's true, and the pinning effect from the Carbines would benefit them far more than the firepower of the rail rifles.

Old 11 Apr 2011, 03:19   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well, I don't see why you would take the Pathfinders for the Carbines (they cost more than Fire Warriors). Pathfinders excel at adding BS, reducing cover saves and reducing Ld with Marker Lights, and will give your Skyray more opportunities to use the Seeker Missiles. I understand though that if an enemy is closing in on the Pathfinders and no other units can take them out, the Pathfinders can move back 6" and still fire 18" weapons where a Pulse Rifle Fire Warrior could either stay and fire 30" (if enemy is more then 12" away) or move FORWARD and hope the unit can't handle the Rapid Fire (which is risky).
Old 11 Apr 2011, 06:29   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not taking the Pathfinders for the Carbines, I have a team of Fire Warrors for that. I'm just saying they'd be better off with Carbines than Rail Rifles.