Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is there a way to take advantage of the Hammerhead's skimmer rule and still shoot?
Old 08 Apr 2011, 23:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Is there a way to take advantage of the Hammerhead's skimmer rule and still shoot?

Is there a way to take advantage of the Hammerhead's skimmer rule (counts as obscured if it moves flat out) and still shoot? Or you have to do one or the other? If not, are broadsides tougher now, for an anti vehicular role?

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2011, 01:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Generally, in my opinion and experience, I have found broadsides to be better and more reliable for an anti vehicle role. However as for your question if you equip your hammerhead with a multi tracker it will allow it to fire as if it were a fast vehicle.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2011, 02:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
Generally, in my opinion and experience, I have found broadsides to be better and more reliable for an anti vehicle role. However as for your question if you equip your hammerhead with a multi tracker it will allow it to fire as if it were a fast vehicle.
However, the vehicle has to move flat out to gain the skimmer's benefit, and not even fast vehicles may shoot at that speed. Cruising speed does not allow the vehicle to count as obscured, so in theory the multi tracker is not nearly as helpful as it used to be?

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2011, 16:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Broadsides are definitely better for anti tank with twin linked shots that cost less and no theres no way to move flat out and shoot at least not for Tau.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2011, 22:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Teach me to speak off memory without checking my books lol.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2011, 11:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've always sent by broadsides up against tanks and saved my hammerhead for the massed infantry. When all the tanks are gone i usually fire the twin-linked railguns at the most important target.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 02:02   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hammerheads have a greater height/view though, which means that you can almost always negate the 4+ obscured save that Broadsides will forever have to consider on enemy vehicles. Not to mention the Sub-munition shot that can be used when the Vehicles are dead. Large Blast S6 AP4 means a lot of enemies will face no armour save (AP4) and instant death (S6 v T3). Mobility also pays off for Hammerheads, but Broadsides can possibly survive longer with 2 wounds and 2+ armour saves (but then think of disruption pods ). Just some aspects to take into consideration.
Rayza09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2011, 11:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Why are we comparing Hammerheads with Broadsides? Thats like comparing Icecream to Mountainbikes. Are the two even related?
The Broadsides are tank killers who can throw very limited damage after infantry.
The Hammerhead is an infantry killer who can throw very unreliable damage after tanks.

Basically if you want to kill some infantry you take the hammerhead. If you want to kill tanks you take broadsides. Point fdor point they just do their primary role much better than the other.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 04:48   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hammerheads are a reliable tank killer dude, they are high enough and mobile enough to get into positions where they can see the best armour side and negate obscured saves. Broadsides lack mobility and have to HOPE the target isnt 50% covered and make do with what side they can see. IMO take a Hammerhead first, then use the 2nd Heavy choice on a Broadside unit (2 would be nice).
Rayza09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2011, 16:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayza09 View Post
Hammerheads are a reliable tank killer dude, they are high enough and mobile enough to get into positions where they can see the best armour side and negate obscured saves. Broadsides lack mobility and have to HOPE the target isnt 50% covered and make do with what side they can see. IMO take a Hammerhead first, then use the 2nd Heavy choice on a Broadside unit (2 would be nice).
Obviously your not using markerlights broadsides may generally hit front Armour but with more shots and twin linked they have a better chance against most vehicles than the hammerheads single shot even against side or rear armour.

oh and real tau players don't HOPE their opponents tank isn't 50% covered they TELL them they have no cover
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote