Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork & Tau Team List
Old 05 Apr 2011, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Ork & Tau Team List

Hello,

I just came back from a big team tournament (Adepticon) and I enjoyed it so much that want to start planning for the tournament next year; at least loosely, figuring out what armies we want to play and some of our background. We were thinking about a Tau and Ork team. If the Tau focused on shooting and don't have to worry about getting into CC they can do much better than they do in one off games. And the Orks don't have to worry about blowing up transports they can just focus on killing the guys inside the transports.

Tactically I was wondering if you can think of some good combos if one player used Tau and one used Orks.

--Normally I would say that every ork list needs lootas but I think the Tau have that covered with broadsides and crisis suits.

--Tau don't need to worry about anti infantry so they can take small fire warrior squads and hide them in troop transports for scoring.

--battlewagons with deff rollas are normally an awesome choice for orks but they aren't as necessary if you have a tau ally

--three large mobs of boys with a mek could so especially well since all they have to do is fun forward and destroy what is left after the tau shooting. My only concern is that in a tourney setting you rarely have enough time for more than 5 turns for horde armies.

We basically have 1000 pts (each) to use and we have to share the force org chart. I was thinking about running a Warboss, ~6 Nob Bikers, ~20 shoota boys for anti infantry and holding home objectives, and maybe a squad of killa kans. Tau could take a commander, a squad of crisis suits, a squad of broadsides, and two min firewarrior squads in devilfish.

Thoughts? I am looking for all sorts of list ideas.
BFTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 19:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've actually played this (my wife can never decide rather to play orks or Eldar so I have built her an army of each). We play at larger numbers in local team battles but she normally runs with a warboss and mobs of just normal boys with sluggas and choppas while I run with a commander, broadsides and firewarrior teams. She worries about nothing but mauling the enemy while I lay down nasty fires and seize/hold objectives with firewarriors after she has swarmed across them. Opponents throw anything ugly out against her and it eats railguns, if they hunker down she hacks it to bits.

Basically so for orks look to your cheap mass mobs while Tau do what we do best. But that is just my opinion from limited experience.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 20:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Personally i'd probably get a couple of mass ork mobs with some broadsides as their support but instead of firewarriors get huge kroot hordes outflank them and literally sandwich your opponent between ork and Tau Hordes....escape is impossible..death is inevitable (insert evil laugh)
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 20:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I do run my kroot squad in team matches but many folk dont like kroot and would think it redundant but I do love it.
Old 05 Apr 2011, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
I do run my kroot squad in team matches but many folk dont like kroot and would think it redundant but I do love it.
it's not redundant it's a highly planned strategically superior pincer attack and will referred to as such from now on.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well I horde orks is my least favorite strategy. Not because it is ineffective but because it eats up so much time and in a tourney environment you might not be able to get past turn 5. But I will make sure to try it out. Any other types of ork lists? What about nob bikers? kan wall? boys in battlewagons?

I think kroot are garbage for their points. In a practice game for this tourney we played against a tau team and they charged a kroot squad (~18 kroot) into a Black Templar squad and they were practically cut down to the man before they even swung.
BFTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2011, 14:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You have to watch how and when you use your kroot. If you use them just as a meat shield then that is all they will ever be. Mine are commonly a mass squad of bullet soakers and I will admit it but they cost my opponent alot to score 1 squad kill point. In other instances I have destroyed ork mobs with only the loss of 1 or 2 models (kroot hounds I=5, Kroot I=3, ork Nob I=3, ork boyz I=2) In one match I actually managed to assault into an ork mob of about 20 with a nob with my kroot squad (missing about 4 models from gun fire) and only the nob managed to swing and kill 1 model before the entire mob was wiped out, it was beautiful. On the other hand against SM they do have problems, but if strung out properly can also challenge or hold multiple objectives at once (did it to an ultra marine player who made the mistake of basically ignoring my kroot then realized as we ran out of time that in my last move they had stretched out and were within 6" of 2 objectives and even though he had nearly decimated my Tau troops my kroot forced him into a draw. He laughed at himself for hours, good player.

But not everyone agrees with me and kroot like vespid are not for everyone.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 16:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah their not for everyone because not everyone knows what their doing.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 17:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

wow i'm crushed spam monkey caught me out go collect your paycheck from the grammar police
Old 06 Apr 2011, 17:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would make other more entertaining comments about the grammer police rewarding the spam monkey for his cutsie use of fluffy ponies but that would not be correct of me and we must adapt to out envirnoment and be tolerant of others sexual and mental problems and illnesses.