Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pt Tau Army List - need opinions/advice (Broadsides or Hammerhead?)
Old 05 Apr 2011, 04:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1500pt Tau Army List - need opinions/advice (Broadsides or Hammerhead?)

Hey, this is my first post/thread on this forum. Id just like to run my army list by some professional Tau players to get some opinions/advice, and have 1 major question for revisions.

HQ

• XV8 Commander (Firesurge) 174pts
Equipment: Fusion Blaster, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, Multi-Target, Bonding Knife, Shield Drones (2)
• XV8 Body Guard (Firestorm) 75pts
Equipment: Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Multi-Tracker

• XV8 Commander (Hail) 162pts
Equipment: Airburster, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, Multi-Tracker, Shield Drones (2)

ELITES

• XV8 Crisis Suits (2) (Firestorm) 153pts
Equipment: Burst Cannons + Missile Pod, Twin-Missile Pod, + Targeting Arrays, Multi-Target + Bonding Knife (1), Shield Drones (2)
• XV8 Crisis Suits (2) (Stormsurge) 150pts
Equipment: 2 x Melta + Burst Cannon, Targeting Arrays, Shield Drones (2)
• XV8 Crisis Suit (Sunforge) 88pts
Equipment: Twin-Melta, Targeting Array, Shield Drones (2)

TROOPS

• Fire Warrior Squad (11) 125pts
note: Shas’ui with Bonding Knife
+Devilfish 130pts
Equipment: Smart Missile System, Disruption Pod, Targeting Array, Multi-Tracker, Sensor
• Kroot (10) w/ Shaper 98pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

• Hammerhead Gunship #1 180pts
Equipment: Railgun, Smart Missile System, Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker, Target Lock
• Hammerhead Gunship #2 160pts
Equipment: Railgun, Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod, Multi-tracker, Target Lock

I don't want to make my force larger than 1500pts (because against my Imperial Guard friend the games already take around 5 hours),
but am wondering whether I should swap out a Hammerhead for 2 Broadsides?

My thinking is that this force already has enough anti-tank (as my XV8 Crisis suits do a better job, with meltas, against his Leman Russ tanks which show my Hammerheads a front armour of 14).

He uses 2 Battletanks and a Valkyrie in this list (+ master of ordnance) which means that whichever I choose (HH or BS) they will both be prone to template weapons.

I tend to have more success with my Hammerhead submunition shots against his troops.

I would like to point out I actually possess all these models in the list, along with the 2 optional Broadsides and 6 Stealth Suits I do not use. I like to deep-strike all of my XV8 Battlesuits because during deployment all my force would be bunched up and easily hurt by scattering Master of Ordnance and Battlecannon templates.

Im also open to ANY comments about the rest of my force. I usually infiltrate my Kroot in Jungle btw.
Thanks for reading

Last edited by Rayza09; 05 Apr 2011 at 04:35.
Rayza09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 13:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'd say broadsides, but this isn't coming from anywhere near a 'proffessional'. Reason being simply that I personally don't feel safe without taking as much railguns as possible to a firefight, focusing on anit-tank and then having my crisis suits as anti-meq usually with plasma-rifles. But, i usually play smaller 1000 point or less games, so I don't really know how effective a 'crisis suit' list or anti-tank force will be...
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 16:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Theres nothing wrong with the list but you could be a little more focused with it for example fusion blasters don't go well with burst cannons you should put missile pods on instead and focus on tank hunting.

I also don't thing you need quite as many shield generators and shield drones as you take be a little more daring and aggressive.

My advice is to just trim the list a bit make it more efficient for example the SMS on the devilfish should not be there (in my opinion) a much more efficient outfit is the gun drones because if you can shoot any weapons you can shoot your gun drones so when moving at 12" you'll get five shots instead of four and save points as well as have a handy unit to help contest objectives.

As for broadsides and hammerheads i nearly always choose broadsides but imperial guard is a different story as thier one of the few enemies that can take that kind of punishment perhaps you should consider three piranha one in each of the fast attack slots the melta weapons will be a big help against his tanks but that depends on how many troops he has.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 18:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think you might need some more fire warriors. I also have a friend that plays imperial guard, even though fire warriors don't have much AT capability, there great for helping with ambushes. Also, the more you have, the more they fill up the map, making them more targets for your enemy and force him to split his forces even more (Also making him more worried). Also, fire warriors are not as week in close-combat as you think, yes, they are extremely bad in it, but don't make this git in the way of your shooting. At close range, you can take some units out before they get to you. And so, having only 11 in your 1500 Pt. army (even with paring with a devilfish) is not the best choice.

romanmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would take out a hammerhead or a crisis for a few more fire warriors. That's just me though

Old 05 Apr 2011, 18:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well actually you need two troop choices to make a valid list i don't think a devilish actually counts as a troop choice in regards the FOC does it?
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 18:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No, it doesn't.

Old 05 Apr 2011, 18:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

but he does have kroot as well
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2011, 18:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I see your point, kroot can come in handy, sometimes...

Old 05 Apr 2011, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I love my kroot but then again I am commonly fighting at 2000pts to 2500pts right now and field a mass squad noone expects in a tau force, 20 kroot, 12 kroot hounds and 1 krootox. They see that coming and commonly divert far to much firepower for to long and lets my other troops tear them apart at range.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote