Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Target Lock
Old 21 Mar 2011, 04:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Target Lock

Does anyone in the forum use Target Lock? I see there is no use in 5th Edition.
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 06:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use target lock on my broadsides so I can have the unit fire on one vech and the other one to fire on another vech. Also use it on my warfish and sometimes hammerhead.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Being able to fire at different targets is useful in 5th, infact target locks are even better in 5th as you don't need to take a target priority test any more to do so.
Quote-Ork Codex-"Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? we the Eldar or the Humans? and why? Because we sought answers to questions an Ork wouldnt even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
KuroRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 16:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah i do, for the same reasons above,

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah same here i have two squads of three broadsides and each team has a leader with target lock so effectively i have three teams of two broadsides taking up only two force slots and gives me the ability to target three transports first turn.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
Yeah same here i have two squads of three broadsides and each team has a leader with target lock so effectively i have three teams of two broadsides taking up only two force slots and gives me the ability to target three transports first turn.
you have got to love the target lock for that reason alone.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2011, 23:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually i use the heck out of them on my broadsides. I have 2 full teams of 3 broadsides each. The team leader of each team has a hard-wired target lock and a target array, the next suit has just a target lock while the third suit has a target array. In this way I have 2 suits in each team with a +1BS and can split fires from each team to 3 different targets if i feel the need, or 6 targets all total should i be so inclined, which I have done to rather nasty effects a couple times. in one case being able to engage 2 rhinos, a razorback, a predator and a dreadnought in a single turns fires from my broadsides alone, and getting lucky and at least immobilizing all 5 just sealed the match and the look on my opponents face (the dreadnought went boom lol). Especially when a couple turns later one of his SM squads that then had to walk fell victim to my vespids without loosing a single guy (he was down to 7 SMs by then though already I must admit but still).

So in answering your question, yes i too use target locks.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2011, 04:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have not only approved the layout arti mentioned there, but I have heavily advocated its use for years, and I use it more often than most other broadside layouts. Most vehicles in general are armor 12 or less, and it is quite often that such vehicles do not merit more than 1 rail shot. With the standard Tau list filling out all 3 heavy support slots, such a team not only has a ridiculously good chance of popping 3 vehicles a turn, but on the off chance it doesn't take out the high priority target, there will always be a back up team/vehicle ready to take the next shot. This layout just ensures that, should things go right, you can make them go even better.

So yes, target locks do indeed see use in 5th, and they are actually a very useful tool to have. but its not just the broadsides that can do it. I have on occasion deep struck a 3 man crisis team with twin linked fusions or missile pods, with target locks on 2, and a drone controller on 1, to run a cheap mock-up version of a suicide command squad. Considering the obvious missions these teams get thrown into, the substantial points savings of avoiding team leaders and targeting arrays and such, for the roles of broadside anti-vehicle support, these teams of 3 can often destroy the vehicles that the 3 broadsides would, for a fraction of the cost. If you can figure out a way to wait til second turn for them to deep strike, its a tactic worth trying out, especially if you're against the idea of having static elements that are easy to run down.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2011, 17:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well if you prep a second squad to deepstrike, say crisis suits, and have the team leader with the positional relay you could theoretically drop them in on turn one then use the positional relay to give you the turn 2, 2+ on a D6 to bring in the other unit. How do you think that might work?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2011, 19:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If I remember correctly, the positional relay must be on the table for its ability to be used. Thus, you can't deep strike it on a 2+ with the team it comes equipped on. In addition, deep strikers only come in on your turn 2, with the only exception I can remember being space marines (because they shall know no rules)

That being said, fielding a force dominated by highly mobile, cheap reliable shots can be just as, if not more, effective than the standard wave of bullets Tau players normally employ. Having a large mobile force with minimized static elements goes a long way in bringing in the unexpected, and against heavilly mechanized lists, is a perfect counter that doesn't throw away kroots as cheap kill points.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote