Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau help: Space Marine Drop Pod army
Old 21 Mar 2011, 01:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau help: Space Marine Drop Pod army

I found my dusty Tau army in my closet just recently and decided to play 40k once again. I went down to my local hobby shop to pick up a Tau Commander Battlesuit (My old one is missing). My opponent who requested a battle use a Space Marine Drop Pod Army. Is there any advice or recommend equipment?
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You want a mobile army for that one, mount your fire warriors in devilfishes. Take plasma rifles with all your suits and broadsides.
Quote-Ork Codex-"Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? we the Eldar or the Humans? and why? Because we sought answers to questions an Ork wouldnt even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
KuroRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 06:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Stay mobile and spread out a bit. most likely he will have sternguard with vengance rounds plucking off your crisis suits so any ind of save would be worth it.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 16:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroRyu View Post
You want a mobile army for that one, mount your fire warriors in devilfishes. Take plasma rifles with all your suits and broadsides.
Not necessaraly but do go for the above there has been times where i've just stayed in one spot and come out virtually unskathed bar about two units (this is a 700pts game) although this only really happens 1 in about 20 games.

Also do you know what chapter he/she has? As some chapters have different play styles.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i just park two teams of broadsides with plasma rifles and multitrackers some fireknives and Vespid in cover and just demolish them as they come down with the aid of my pathfinders.

if you can do enough damage to the first two/three pods that come down on turn one you'll have no problem dealing with the rest as they come down one or two at a time.

That or you can deploy using these tactics

http://shoot-tau-thrill.blogspot.com...ment%20Tactics

P.S you want deployment 3 heavy deepstrike defense you'll need t to do this if your opponent is using marines that can assault on the deepstrike with heroic intervention i think it's called

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 21 Mar 2011 at 17:24.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
i just park two teams of broadsides with plasma rifles and multitrackers some fireknives and Vespid in cover and just demolish them as they come down with the aid of my pathfinders.

if you can do enough damage to the first two/three pods that come down on turn one you'll have no problem dealing with the rest as they come down one or two at a time.

That or you can deploy using these tactics

http://shoot-tau-thrill.blogspot.com...ment%20Tactics

P.S you want deployment 3 heavy deepstrike defense you'll need t to do this if your opponent is using marines that can assault on the deepstrike with heroic intervention i think it's called
last time i followed one of those tactics i got myself wiped out by turn 2

Sir winston Churchill

Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddosammo View Post
last time i followed one of those tactics i got myself wiped out by turn 2
Not to sound harsh or anything but that doesn't mean the tactic is flawed i've used it successfully as have others.

What exactly went wrong for you.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Not to sound harsh or anything but that doesn't mean the tactic is flawed i've used it successfully as have others.

What exactly went wrong for you.

i don't know really all i remember was that it involved a lot of ordanance weaponary and then it goes black.

Sir winston Churchill

Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well these deployment options are specifically to ward off outflankers deepstrikers and assaulters.

They are most definitely NOT for imperial guard ordnance based armies or any army bringing ordnance weapons.

You should familiarize yourself with your opponent army list before choosing a deployment tactic.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
well these deployment options are specifically to ward off outflankers deepstrikers and assaulters.

They are most definitely NOT for imperial guard ordnance based armies or any army bringing ordnance weapons.

You should familiarize yourself with your opponent army list before choosing a deployment tactic.
i've remembered ive looked throught the vids of some of my games it was a campaign at my school club and my teach thought that it would be a good idea to give the the IG some ordonace because he though that it wasn't balanced, that was the last game where i stratergiesed before the game now i think on the go.

EDIT: an no i will not be posting the vid because of parental issues.

Sir winston Churchill