Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help against Chaos
Old 20 Mar 2011, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help against Chaos

My friend recently got a Chaos Nuurgul Army for Christmas, and I'm starting a Tau army. I was wondering if I could get some advice on an army list and tactics playing against him. He is an experienced player, and I really want to kick his ass.

What he has:
Chaos Spehss Mahrinz
Defiler
Land Raider
Daemon Prince
Flying gargoyle things (Forget what they're called)

I know this isn't a lot of info, but I don't remember the exact numbers and I need some help.

Thanks in advance!

Hudoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2011, 18:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The defiler is vastly overpriced and underarmored of an element as far as Tau armies are concerned. With our rail guns and its gigantic profile, it almost literally has no where to hide. You should be able to target it from about anywhere on the board and basically auto-rape it.

The land raider is overpriced as well, and 1 good volley from the broadsides will usually be enough to take it out. If those are his only vehicles, you'll be running circles around his army, so if you can, verify if he has any additional rhinos.

The Daemon prince is a tad bit more worrysome since it can hide behind the land raider, but with markerlight support, a full fire warrior squad is more than sufficient to take down a prince, even the nurgle variety. and on the off chance that doesnt work, crisis suits can easilly finish it off then.

I don't recall what the 'flying gargoyles' are in their codex, but if its raptors, treat it as you would any other marine variant. The chaos raptors suck compared to the normal space marine variety.

as for the nurgle space marines, their T5 FNP will put a serious dent in our anti-infantry weapons effectiveness, but if they aren't pushing forward in vehicles, they're never going to catch a Tau player... run and gun with your crisis suits, and snipe away with railguns once the vehicles are gone. Helios builds will of course, be your best friend here, but the fireknife's missiles will be drastically reduced in effectiveness. Thanks to the expenses of the units themselves and the other vehicles, i don't think you'll have to worry about the numbers being an issue,

That's just a general overview, update with more list details when you can.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2011, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My brother plays a nurgle list of 35 plague marines 3 rhinos two daemon princes and four obliterators which he deepstrikes so i get regular combat against them.

the two main things you need are pathfinders to negate cover and a way to field an abundance of high powered weapons the two best ways to get this are helios suits and broadsides with plasma rifles and multitrackers.

But in the end your tactics should be the same as with most enemies.

First you need to slow him as much as possible this means prioritizing his transports like rhinos or that landraider and perhaps those raptors if thats what they are or that daemon prince if it has wings.

After that it's whatever that can do the most damage to you like the defiler which should be easily taken out by broadsides.

after that it's exactly as tehlegend suggests use any mobile units you have to keep away from his infantry as much as possible you should hopefully be able to whittle away his troops and take any objectives that may exist though admittedly removing a squad of plague marines from an objective is very difficult.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes, the Daemon Prince is indeed winged. I am pressed to take out his defiler with my railguns first because of him threatening me with it EVERY DAY, and then its on to the DP, as it has cluster****ed my SM scouts last game.

The "gargoyle things" I mentioned aren't actually winged, I now remember they were in fact Possessed Marines.

I don't have any pathfinders, but I have invested heavily in markerlights on other units, so that shouldn't be a problem.

By "Helios suits" do you mean a modification of Crisis suits? I am a noob, but the don't seem to be in the codex. Forgeworld?

Also, fireknives? Help me out here.

Thanks for your support, waiting for more!

P.S. On a side note, I'm also new to the forums, so why doesn't anyone have avatars?
They're not that hard to make...

Last edited by Hudoste; 21 Mar 2011 at 18:31.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Helios suits are fusion blaster plasma rifle and multitracker

fireknives are plasma rifle missile pod and multitracker

and the answer to the third question we're very very lazy but i'll make one if you like them.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
Helios suits are fusion blaster plasma rifle and multitracker

fireknives are plasma rifle missile pod and multitracker

and the answer to the third question we're very very lazy but i'll make one if you like them.
yep lazy we are mine is just a image copied from a website.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh thanks for the tips, didn't think there were specific names for equipment combinations. Do you think these are the optimal choices for my Crisis suits?
I'm still pondering on what to put on 'em.

And how lazy do you have to be to post on forums, but not be able to google a random image and slap it on here? It takes like 2 minutes.

Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudoste View Post
Oh thanks for the tips, didn't think there were specific names for equipment combinations. Do you think these are the optimal choices for my Crisis suits?

And how lazy do you have to be to post on forums, but not be able to google a random image and slap it on here? It takes like 2 minutes.
Ah very very lazy like i said ^_^

Those settings are considered the best for space marines for horde light tanks deathrains twin linked missile pods with or without a targeting array or firestorms burst cannon missile pod multitrackers are generally considered best it depends on what your playing.

Most people field fireknives for tournaments though as space marines are common and they represent a nice balance.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 18:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudoste View Post

we have all been brainwashed by the imperium and alll we can think about
warhammer40k

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2011, 19:08   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So I'm guessing two Fireknives and a Helios would be appropriate.

Amirite?