Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

opinions on planning for future growth
Old 15 Mar 2011, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default opinions on planning for future growth

Well gents and ladies if any of them are left, as many know I'm building up towards a 2500pt list for competition. For my final 250pts of growth was originally thinking of adding in a 2nd pathfinder team with another devilfish packing a pair of seeker missiles. It has worked well in the past and works well for picking up and relocating a squad of firewarriors. Was thinking though I jight adda team of helios crisis suits. Both have their strengths and advantages to the force overall, both have their detractions. So as I stated in the title line I thought I would hear out thoughts and opinions. So folks whatcha got on the subject?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2011, 23:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

While most people will probably just see big guns and suits and go OOOOOOOHHHHHH i personally favor the pathfinders because simply speaking all the big guns in the world aren't going to do anything for you if you can't hit your enemies.

Also pathfinders start doing their job at full efficiency turn one where as the helions have to get into range for their fusion blasters or wait to deepstrike which ironically when combined with pathfinders is their best practical application.

Helios suits sound better in theory but Pathfinders are better in practice.

Suits have let me down a number of times but i have never regretted taking pathfinders.

Even now when i'm taking three squads though once my Vespid are of tournament quality that may change

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 15 Mar 2011 at 23:21.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2011, 06:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree you need more pathfinders. You have too few pathfinders. Get some pathfinders!
Pathfinders are the Tau equivalent( <--how do you spell that?) of bacon or ketchup. Everything gets better with bacon or ketchup. except miniature wargames. For that you will need pathfinders.
It is supposedly a big deal... Chokolate or vanilla icecream... I say &#39;&#39;Who Cares? Free Icecream!&#39;&#39;
Irtehdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2011, 15:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to lpetersson

I'm still new to Tau, but I too will join the chorus chanting pathfinders.

In the games I've had, they've been absolutely essential to making sure the enemy gets hit hard...
lpetersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2011, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I regretted taking pathfinders once...they ran off the board without marking a single model...>.> 200+ points disappearing with a botched Ld roll...

not that that happens often ^^

I'm not going to voice an opinion myself, as you say both have advantages and drawbacks and having not seen the rest of you list I can't say what I think would compliment it better.
Quote-Ork Codex-"Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? we the Eldar or the Humans? and why? Because we sought answers to questions an Ork wouldnt even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
KuroRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2011, 17:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

rest of list (just units not wargear)

Shas'O, bodyguard, 2 shield drones, marker drone

2x Deathrain teams: 3 crisis suits/ w 2 shield drones per team

2x fire warrior teams (7FW each) with pulse rifles

1x fire warrior team (6FW)with carbines and emp grenades

kroot "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT DOING IN A TAU FORCE!" squad with 20 kroot, 12 kroot hounds and 2 krootox.

Pathfinder team: (6 pathfinders)4 normal pathfinders, 2 with railrifles, devilfish w/seeker missiles.

Vespid squad

Hammerhead

2x Broadside teams of 3 broadsides and 2 shield drones each.

There that should help.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2011, 17:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A vespid squad? interesting, yeah I'll agree with the otehrs and say more pathfinders would be good, filling out the existing squad to 8 might be an idea too.
Quote-Ork Codex-"Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? we the Eldar or the Humans? and why? Because we sought answers to questions an Ork wouldnt even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
Old 16 Mar 2011, 17:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroRyu View Post
I regretted taking pathfinders once...they ran off the board without marking a single model...>.> 200+ points disappearing with a botched Ld roll...

not that that happens often ^^

I'm not going to voice an opinion myself, as you say both have advantages and drawbacks and having not seen the rest of you list I can't say what I think would compliment it better.
How does that happen when a full squad of pathfinders is 96 points did the Devilfish run off the board too?

and running off the board is something all Tau units suffer just ask Art about his broadsides now that really is 200+ points running off the board.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

...fair point the devilfish did't run away no, 136 points if you tack on shas'ui and rail rifles >.>
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroRyu View Post
A vespid squad? interesting, yeah I'll agree with the otehrs and say more pathfinders would be good, filling out the existing squad to 8 might be an idea too.
yeah arti does use vespids and so do i in my opinion they're great at certian ascpects like killing marine and imperial guard( Deamonic laugh) but can easiliy get outflanked with there blind speed.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote