Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammer head or ion head
Old 04 Mar 2011, 04:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Hammer head or ion head

So guys I'm gearing up my force to proceed into the 2000pt fights coming up and aside from fielding 2 teams of 3 broadsides each am looking at fielding a hammer/ionhead in the slot i previously had sniper drones filling. Considering i already have 6 TL railguns in the fight I am looking for some pros and con opinions on deciding which type of tank to field as the list is static and I am facing mostly marines, though there are orcs, eldar, dark eldar, IG well at least 1 of just about every army but also generally just 1 of each except for marines, of which there are tons (like 9 or 10 out of 17ish armies/players)

Thoughts/ideas?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2011, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
So guys I'm gearing up my force to proceed into the 2000pt fights coming up and aside from fielding 2 teams of 3 broadsides each am looking at fielding a hammer/ionhead in the slot i previously had sniper drones filling. Considering i already have 6 TL railguns in the fight I am looking for some pros and con opinions on deciding which type of tank to field as the list is static and I am facing mostly marines, though there are orcs, eldar, dark eldar, IG well at least 1 of just about every army but also generally just 1 of each except for marines, of which there are tons (like 9 or 10 out of 17ish armies/players)

Thoughts/ideas?
question why'd you get rid of the sniper drones?

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2011, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddosammo View Post
question why'd you get rid of the sniper drones?
They FAILED him for the last time ^_^

i think they did quite poorly on his last tournie outing he has posted about it a little oon the impending fight thread.

As for pros and cons on the two tanks

Ion head

Pros

Cheap

Good at killing 3+ armored opponents

Cons

Singular purpose performs poorly against non MEQ armies

Low offensive capability compared to point cost

Hammerhead

Pros

Highly effective against horde

capable of taking out tanks as well so dual purpose rather than specialized

Cons

None compared to an ion head other than point cost and it's definitely worth the extra points

so for me theres no contest if you have the points
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2011, 21:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes unfortunately my illustrious sniper drones were not so. Through all three fights of the last tournament they failed to take out a single enemy model of any kind and only took out 1 model total in my last 2 fights preceeding the tournament. So though they have excellent potential lady luck has determined I am not to have good use of them in my forces. So I am replacing them with a hammerhead.

As for points I am reworking my force to ba able to bring both my broadside teams up to 3 broadsides each (with a pair of shield drones/team) and add the hammerhead. Next point increase as we work towards 2500 I intend to add a second pathfinder team which I have already picked up the models for (once again with seekers on their devilfish) and another 3 suit team of deathrains with 2 shield drones as my current team were MVPs of my tournament fights. The final 250 to reach 2500 I'm not sure what I will do with yet but I am already examining options. What i have to look at is that the 2500pt force will be what i will try to take district, regional and try to qualify for 'ard boyz with so...
Old 05 Mar 2011, 17:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ionhead doubles as a light vehicle popper since it's basically a longer ranged version of a missile pod concerning strength. against av10-11, its less likely to fail you on the hits thanks to its 3 attacks. Lady luck pretty much makes any anti-vehicle gun fail when i roll for it. The damn railgun solid shot and piranha fusion blaster will consistently roll 1's either for the hits or the armor pen, so I've pretty much dedicated my anti armor resources exclusively to broadsides and their twinlinked goodness, or weapons that can bring the shots in wholesale volume.

I don't know what the rest of your army is, but have you considered the skyray? its a vastly underrated vehicle for what it does and you can put alot of mileage on it thanks to its av13.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2011, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlegend View Post
Ionhead doubles as a light vehicle popper since it's basically a longer ranged version of a missile pod concerning strength. against av10-11, its less likely to fail you on the hits thanks to its 3 attacks. Lady luck pretty much makes any anti-vehicle gun fail when i roll for it. The damn railgun solid shot and piranha fusion blaster will consistently roll 1's either for the hits or the armor pen, so I've pretty much dedicated my anti armor resources exclusively to broadsides and their twinlinked goodness, or weapons that can bring the shots in wholesale volume.

I don't know what the rest of your army is, but have you considered the skyray? its a vastly underrated vehicle for what it does and you can put alot of mileage on it thanks to its av13.
Yeah a cheap skyray is better than an ion head if your short points.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 21:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Think I am going to go with the Hammerhead with railgun, burst cannons and a pair of seeker missiles attached. That plus my final proposal of 2 devilfish with my pathfinder teams each also carrying 2 seeker missiles lets me spread them it and makes it much more fire power and planning intensive to take out all of my seekers, especially since i like to initially stage them behind terrain and buildings (dont forget your sensor spines). That added to the 2 pathfinder teams, my Shas'O having a marker drone and possibly a marker light attached to the team leader for one of my fire warrior teams, point allowing, and it will be very difficult to stop my target spotters as well. Well thats the plan at least.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 22:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
Think I am going to go with the Hammerhead with railgun, burst cannons and a pair of seeker missiles attached. That plus my final proposal of 2 devilfish with my pathfinder teams each also carrying 2 seeker missiles lets me spread them it and makes it much more fire power and planning intensive to take out all of my seekers, especially since i like to initially stage them behind terrain and buildings (dont forget your sensor spines). That added to the 2 pathfinder teams, my Shas'O having a marker drone and possibly a marker light attached to the team leader for one of my fire warrior teams, point allowing, and it will be very difficult to stop my target spotters as well. Well thats the plan at least.
Sounds like your approaching a similar style of play to me.
Old 07 Mar 2011, 22:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well have worked up my new force for the 2000pt fights which i shall post in detail when i have more time. But I have reduced down to 5 vespid, added another broadside to each team bringing them to the full 3 +2 shield drones, added the hammerhead with railgun and...managed to afford the points without sacrificing anything to add a krotox to the massive kroot squad making it so opponents need to kill 9 models instead of 8 to cause a leadership check and with the krotox adding additional wounds, and a light vehicle/nasty opponent gun to help dish out some more fire power.

Now my thought and question with that is, with rapid fire and range of 48" how does that shift if it moves? I can only find examples in the books for rapid fires with 24" ranges...
Old 08 Mar 2011, 03:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Rapid fire is 12 inches period. No matter how far the range.