Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I like Ion Tank
Old 02 Mar 2011, 22:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default I like Ion Tank

So this might be a little unpopular but hear me out.

The Ion cannon really arenít that bad. There are several reasons to this thought.

1. It's cheap. with upgrades and burst cannons etc the Ion head tank is only around 135 points or cheaper. That's one of the reasons I like it as a support tank because it's really almost as cheap as a devilfish. Speaking of troops it's a great anti infantry tank in small doses. Especially against SM. It's funny to see squads of SM freshly popped out from their transport and to start popping them off with an ion head and there's squat they can do about it. And with its range of 60" it's something that it can do from almost anywhere on the board. I think that's what the Tau have over most forces is we can reach out and touch you far before you can do the same to us. Lastly it can still take out transports. Itís not a near grantee like the Rail Gun. But it's not impossible either.

Now with those reasons the Ion isn't a main tank. I see it as a support tank to take if points allow. In my opinion it's always better to take the Rail gun first but if you are looking to take a second tank an Ion head is a nice finishing touch as anti elite or anti infantry. Realistically I would take team of 2 broadsides with target lock, a Rail Head and one Ion head. When used properly it can smack a huge hole in the enemy that's hard to recover from using the 3 rail guns to open up transports and tanks and then to follow up with a Ion cannon wasting what comes out. It's a nice little surprise for any opponent.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 05:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The real drawback of an ion head to me is that it's strength 7 instead of str 8 so it does not negate feel no pain which can be quite common in some army lists like blood angels making it relatively ineffective against such lists especially considering the cost.

It's quite good against a list like tyranids though for monstrous creatures though.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2011, 06:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

FNP marines are thankfully a rarity, thus i dont explicitly try and build against them. None of our AP3 weapons are capable of negating FNP on marines anyways, and i dont think it was intended in our army. or any army save IG anyways. the Ion cannon is great simply for being able to consistently pop 2-3 marines a turn wherever it is, and it excels at it over the railgun thanks to its multiple shots. It's true strength is that it allows a 2+ wound on all MEQ variants, including those on bikes, while ignoring armor.

I wouldnt complain if the Ion Cannon were a S8 weapon, but it would kinda negate the seeker missile for most of its current uses. why pay 10 points for a 1 shot when u have a weapon that can consistently put out 3 of em a turn?
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2011, 17:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlegend View Post
FNP marines are thankfully a rarity, thus i dont explicitly try and build against them. None of our AP3 weapons are capable of negating FNP on marines anyways, and i dont think it was intended in our army. or any army save IG anyways. the Ion cannon is great simply for being able to consistently pop 2-3 marines a turn wherever it is, and it excels at it over the railgun thanks to its multiple shots. It's true strength is that it allows a 2+ wound on all MEQ variants, including those on bikes, while ignoring armor.

I wouldnt complain if the Ion Cannon were a S8 weapon, but it would kinda negate the seeker missile for most of its current uses. why pay 10 points for a 1 shot when u have a weapon that can consistently put out 3 of em a turn?
FNP is quite common where i come from in my last tournament i was pretty much crushed by a CSM army featuring a lot of plague marines my brother plays a full on nurgle list where every troop is a plague marine i also fought a blood angels player in the same tournament that used it to it's utmost with sang priests and death guard featuring.

and considering how popular blood angels and death guard are these days it's definitely something you want to be thinking about.

and an ion head usually only gets one kill a turn since it's statistically going to miss one out of every three shots and if your target is in cover 50/50 chance of losing another which IS common so i don't know about you but 135 or so points for one dead SM a turn assuming he has no FNP.....no thanks.

it has a place alright against certain lists but i consider it more a defensive/blocking unit than an offensive one.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 21:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Feel no pain is common for some SM and CSM. Everyone else it bypasses FNP because mos everyone else has a toughness of 3. I'm trying to look at this objectivly not relying on what the people here do or "location specific" or "player types" but just armies in general. And when you look at it in that factor it's really not that bad. However a Str 8 shot would be a nice upgrade in the new codex
Old 03 Mar 2011, 21:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdigitalblue View Post
Feel no pain is common for some SM and CSM. Everyone else it bypasses FNP because mos everyone else has a toughness of 3. I'm trying to look at this objectivly not relying on what the people here do or "location specific" or "player types" but just armies in general. And when you look at it in that factor it's really not that bad. However a Str 8 shot would be a nice upgrade in the new codex
yeah i get your point but honestly how you can you not see something as simple as FNP turning your fairly cool fairly cheap tank into almost totally ineffective rubbish as anything less than a MAJOR problem and the toughness 3 thing is irrelevant because most stuff with toughness 3 has 4+ 5+ armour so you really don't need a TANK to kill it anyway your buying it SPECIFICALLY to kill SM.

FNP is not an expensive upgrade it's not like oh my plasma rifles still ok against terminators because thunder shields are expensive kind of thing.
Old 04 Mar 2011, 00:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

FNP is an upgrade that Nurgle marines and blood angels get mostly and although there are a lot of BA armies about thanks to crow syndrome, it won't last and in the normal run of things a standard space marine army or even a space wolves or black templars...or even dark angels, don't have entire squads of FNP troops to my knowledge.
Quote-Ork Codex-"Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? we the Eldar or the Humans? and why? Because we sought answers to questions an Ork wouldnt even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
KuroRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2011, 06:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

nurgle are expensive and thankfully don't have a bite to match that T5 FNP. you can, and i routinely do, outlast through sheer attrition of shots. just deny the assault.

blood angels are far trickier, since they can bring it in a flood. but for better or worse, they rush US for the assault, and thus, rarely claim the cover save. jetpack assault rines will almost never jump into terrain and thus, almost never claim such a save, while mechanized or drop-pod will be very fractured, in small groups of men rather than 1 large mob, making it easier to single out and destroy the models providing the FNP bubbles... while they can cover more ground, they won't be able to jump over obstacles, so you can delay them for ages with vehicles.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2011, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok if you feel so you feel so but i don't see how people can criticize army lists for being weak against certain types of armies far rarer and more scenario specific than this but seem to be ok with something as glaring as this.

Well in my opinion it's a glaring and unacceptable weakness so i won't take ions to a tournament especially since i predict FNP will only get more common.
Old 04 Mar 2011, 21:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually the blood angels opponent I faced in the tournament a few weeks ago utilized a mastery of terrain to cover even his big tailed assault transports (the names of which escape me at the moment). He prevented me from gaining angle of fire beautifully until he was in a more advantageous position and then disembarked his troops dang near in my face. So if you have an intelligent opponent dont wager on his confidence in his armor.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote