Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

need advice on eldar and dark eldar.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Exclamation need advice on eldar and dark eldar.

hey guys,

i need some help on something so here's the question;

Which, eldar(s) are a bas%$^d's to kill need help got too more players at the local club both eldar need to know who are harder to kill that is all.

that is all, thanks in advance.

-maddosammo-

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2011, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I haven't played the new dark eldar codex but normal eldar are a real pain from what i have seen of the dark eldar though i would prefer to play them as i feel their a lot more vulnerable particularly their transports
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2011, 00:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dark Eldar are unbelievably painful to play against. Every time i've faced them i've been completely wasted. Their main strength is speed, chances are your average DE player will mount all their infantry in raiders, these need to be totaled as quickly as possible.

Sit your army on the edge of the board and rush forward fusion blaster piranhas to bring down the raiders along with railgun support. After that things get easier. At least that's my plan for the next time I encounter them.
Quote-Ork Codex-"Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? we the Eldar or the Humans? and why? Because we sought answers to questions an Ork wouldnt even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
KuroRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2011, 07:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes the DE speed to get to you and CC you is how you get your Day ruined. your Crisis suits just can't stay away and their bikes really are a threat. best bet it so get them out of their transports and then template them with your HH's. and roll good because you probably won't get a second chance.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 12:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok versus dark eldar
get loads of fire warriors na deathrains
those AV 10 boxes are dead meat against deathrains (with target locks)
get some kroot to run forward and get shot up (this will distract them and give him something to think)
or place some in woods and let them go to the ground every time (2+ cs)
shoot the boxes with pulse rifles and deathrains
shoot his tougher vehicles with rails (u dont need more then 2 broadsides for this)
make sure you kill those incubi soon because it's over VERY soon when those get the grips of you
depending on if he has the dude with the 2+ inv save
if he has that one give him the first turn and DROWN him in shots
make sure u keep you kroot a line befor you FW's and take loads of 'finders
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2011, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

As someone who used to play Tau, and now plays Dark Eldar. I think that "easier to kill" goes to the dark eldar. We'll be working with 5+ invul saves on our raiders, and that's about all that we're going to get. (Especially with the FAQ now saying that if you move flat out and your vehicle pops in the subsequent turn, everybody on it dies.) Also, the answer if not Fusion Piranhas, it will pop the raider you're after, but it's a gross over allocation of resources and will get your piranhas killed, missile pods on your crisis suits will be plenty to take down raiders. Where eldar are constantly working with holo/energy fields, making your rail gun still only count as S8, and have pathfinders with a 2+ cover save, and squadrons of war walkers (Which means a lot of vehicles you need to break).

However, unless the eldar have tooled out their list intentionally to beat the Tau (Which if you let Eldar work out their list to fight a specific army, they're probably gonna win) they're not going to be able to kill you as fast. Knowing Tau, if the Dark Eldar bring their usual list, you'll have Witches and Incubi deep striking next to problem targets. And the Tau don't have a full proof way of eliminating two squads of Incubi, and they can all catch your crisis suits due to Fleet. But if you're up against Eldar, the biggest thing you'll really have to worry about is infiltrating striking scorpions. Banshies start too far away and don't have a method to get there fast enough, and all of their guns are less than yours.

Conclusion: Eldar are harder to kill, but not as good at killing you. Dark Eldar die like flies, but will wreck you faster.
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2011, 18:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i should have said in my first posting that this is an alrounder question as the others guys in ma club want to know the answer but that was my fault for not telling you.

also with me being a old/ex dark eldar player i should really know there in's an outs pretty well(but i obviasly don't) and since the new codex came out i'm not that sure what has changed.

And to everyone who has responded thanks guys (and girls)

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

Last edited by maddosammo; 22 Feb 2011 at 18:32.
maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2011, 00:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I haven't seen a great deal of Craftworld Eldar players I think I've only ever played against two in the entire time I've been playing and I used space wolves both times. All I really remember about them is that dark reapers hurt...a lot.
Quote-Ork Codex-"Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? we the Eldar or the Humans? and why? Because we sought answers to questions an Ork wouldnt even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."
KuroRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2011, 07:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To be honest, i think a few extra kroots to force a larger buffer zone is about all thats necessary. VS DE, with the usual railguns any Tau list brings, we've usually got enough to take down atleast 4 outright. plus missile pods on crisis teams, and thats another 2 atleast, and since kroot are able to glance the things with their guns, its possible they can mobility-kill an extra raider if they infiltrate close enough. Thats an easy 6-7 raiders assuming certain base elements are present and you deploy just close enough to be in range without falling short due to their range reduction ability all in the first turn.

after that, your kroots will hold em off for a turn and you'll get to clear out the remaining vehicles, and concentrate fire on troops that remain. If i remember correctly, their raiders dont count as tanks and therefore, they can't use them to break through kroot. With the right spacing and movement, it should be easy enough to force them to stop in front of you thanks to the lack of landing space anywhere behind that front line.

Havent played enough eldar to know them inside out, but even with the STR reducing abilities, your sheer volume of fire power should be enough to break the serpents and such.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2011, 04:14   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlegend
To be honest, i think a few extra kroots to force a larger buffer zone is about all thats necessary. VS DE, with the usual railguns any Tau list brings, we've usually got enough to take down atleast 4 outright. plus missile pods on crisis teams, and thats another 2 atleast, and since kroot are able to glance the things with their guns, its possible they can mobility-kill an extra raider if they infiltrate close enough. Thats an easy 6-7 raiders assuming certain base elements are present and you deploy just close enough to be in range without falling short due to their range reduction ability all in the first turn.
First, you bring 7-9 rail guns that can fire on separate targets? I've never seen a Tau player bring so many, even with the model capacity to bring it (They have to hit, so if you have 6, 4 hit, 3.33 get past the shield, and you'll kill 1.1666 of them) Which means you need 12 to reliably kill 2 of the Raiders. Also, the DE player will most likely hide their raiders behind terrain, since they can fly over, well, anything, which greatly limits your targets.

The missile pods are an honest threat, but not until the second or turn when the raiders have already started to run forward (Since they only have a 30" range against them) But really the amount of damage Tau can put down at 24" is the thing to worry about, squads of ten firewarriors should be able to stop (and potentially kill) a raider each.

I doubt you can get the Kroot in close enough with the range reduction to really damage them, since you would have to start the game less than 12" away to double-tap, and getting one shot each, with a 5+ invulnerable save, and needing a 6 to glace, means that you're probably not going to stop any of them with Kroot. So even a full sized squad of 20, less than one glace happens. (10 of those hit, 1.66 of those glace, .88 of those get through the shield) And then there's only a 50% chance to actually hurt their movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlegend
after that, your kroots will hold em off for a turn and you'll get to clear out the remaining vehicles, and concentrate fire on troops that remain. If i remember correctly, their raiders dont count as tanks and therefore, they can't use them to break through kroot. With the right spacing and movement, it should be easy enough to force them to stop in front of you thanks to the lack of landing space anywhere behind that front line.
Since they're skimmers they can fly over the Kroot without having a problem, they can get past. If they equip their raiders like I do (with the shock prow), you can also Tank Shock and Ram anyway.

I play about three games a week, about one of those against Tau, I do find that a REALLY good way to take down my Dark Eldar is to deep strike Stealth Suits. Squads of three of them will take down a Raider each, or at least stop them, and since you get to make the assault move, even though you deep struck that turn, keeping you out of the real danger zones (assault range)
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote