Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau...don't suck in close combat?
Old 06 Feb 2011, 08:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Arrow Tau...don't suck in close combat?

I was recently looking in the rulebook, at the roll to hit for assaults. and it turns out that for a model with WS2 needs a 4+ against models with WS3 and WS4!
A 4+ isn't bad (well, tau shooting hits on 4+ so i can't say its bad!)

so, what do you make of this?
Old 06 Feb 2011, 08:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's all relative they get fewer attacks have lower initiative lower strength lower toughness stack all that together and yeah they do suck hitting on a 4+ isn't very good if all your guys are dead before you get the chance to roll.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2011, 12:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

YOUR JOKING! 0_0 i've been hitting on a 5 or 6 for no reason at all!? ARGH! , at least I stand a chance now
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2011, 14:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
It's all relative they get fewer attacks have lower initiative lower strength lower toughness stack all that together and yeah they do suck hitting on a 4+ isn't very good if all your guys are dead before you get the chance to roll.
Actually, the last time my fire warriors were in combat with SM bikers they did pretty well and I didn't lose many, i didn't kill anything though.
Old 06 Feb 2011, 22:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No actually you are right we are not really all that bad in close combat. Infact we may even be fairly decent. But everything else is better.
We got high tech high powered guns that can fire twice as long as anything else the universe has to offer... And our close combat capabilities is almost as good as that of a butterfly...
How the Tau managed to survive long enough to invent guns remains a mystery. (asuming there are butterflies on T'au)
Old 07 Feb 2011, 00:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It is possible to have firewarriors get locked without taking extreme casualties, it's happened to me one or two times. However, you should by no means count on it. Statistically, a Meq squad is always going to hit first, hit more, and hit harder than your firewarriors, leaving very few to swat them back, a doubly innefective venture.

Keep in mind, thats not always a bad thing. If you deploy them on the front line, you can use them as a screen for your suits. They won't give you cover, but if any infantry gets close, they'll be able to weaken it up with pulse weapons before blocking them from assaulting your suits. This way, the suits can take care of other business until the FWs are dead, then clean up the rest of the assaulters, all while relatively out of harms way.

Last edited by Exigency102; 07 Feb 2011 at 00:17.
Exigency102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2011, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
No actually you are right we are not really all that bad in close combat. Infact we may even be fairly decent. But everything else is better.
We got high tech high powered guns that can fire twice as long as anything else the universe has to offer... And our close combat capabilities is almost as good as that of a butterfly...
How the Tau managed to survive long enough to invent guns remains a mystery. (asuming there are butterflies on T'au)
you have a point, how did tau survive long enough to invent guns? I reckon in the really early days they must have used bows/crossbows then later on muskets etc etc.

That also raises another question, if tau see close combat as a primitive form of warfare how come the Ethereals do it?
Old 07 Feb 2011, 17:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatshaper2 View Post
you have a point, how did tau survive long enough to invent guns? I reckon in the really early days they must have used bows/crossbows then later on muskets etc etc.

That also raises another question, if tau see close combat as a primitive form of warfare how come the Ethereals do it?
The Ethereal are meant only to engage in ritualistic/ceremonial combat their NEVER meant to engage in actual combat.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2011, 20:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Irtehdar and Greatshaper: Tau would actually be fine in close combat against each other. Their shortfalls are really against more skilled/bulky/natural opponents such as Space Marines/Orks/Tyranids. In fact, I'm fairly certain that they DID fight hand to hand before they invented guns in the time of the Mont'au. This is, I believe, the reason they abhor hand to hand fighting so much, they fear it will bring the return of the Mont'au (I think that's in the Codex somewhere). Also remember that during that time the plains tribes (later the fire caste) were ganging up on the other smaller and weaker tribes of the mountains (air), valleys (water), and... dirt (earth)?

Anti: Just to clarify, I believe you're right that Ethereals aren't meant to engage in combat, but they aren't above it, hence seeing them on the battlefield armed with honor blades.
Exigency102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2011, 15:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Irtehdar and Greatshaper: Tau would actually be fine in close combat against each other. Their shortfalls are really against more skilled/bulky/natural opponents such as Space Marines/Orks/Tyranids. In fact, I'm fairly certain that they DID fight hand to hand before they invented guns in the time of the Mont'au. This is, I believe, the reason they abhor hand to hand fighting so much, they fear it will bring the return of the Mont'au (I think that's in the Codex somewhere). Also remember that during that time the plains tribes (later the fire caste) were ganging up on the other smaller and weaker tribes of the mountains (air), valleys (water), and... dirt (earth)?

Anti: Just to clarify, I believe you're right that Ethereals aren't meant to engage in combat, but they aren't above it, hence seeing them on the battlefield armed with honor blades.
you have a point, prehaps thats why the tau hate CC. The Ethereals might still use close combat as a sort of very old tradition that only memebers of the ethereal caste can use.