Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau army list
Old 29 Jan 2011, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau army list

Hey guys whats crackin? Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I have been browsing this forum for ages now and decided to join.

I have a list I've done up, I'm fairly new to 40k, so if there is something you think is horrible can you tell me why it is, not just the replacement of the unit or what not.

So anywho here is the list.

trying to get to 2000 points.

HQ
Shaso with
Cyclonic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targatting array, Hardwired Drone controller, Hardwired Multi Tracker, 2x shield drones

Total 155

1x Body Guard
with Fragmentation Projector, Plasma rifle, targeting array, Hardwired drone controller, Hardwired multitracker, 2 x shield drones

Total 120

1x Body Guard
with fusion blaster, Plasma rifle, targeting array, Hardwired drone controller, Hardwired multitracker, 2 x shield drones

Total 112

Elites

3 x Helios (plasma rifle, Fusion Blaster, Multi Tracker)
total 183

3x Deathrain (TL missle Pods, targeting array)
total 159

Fast
3x Piranha with fusion blasters and distruption pods and gun drones

total 210

5x pathfinders in devilfish with disruption pods

Total 145

Troops
6x FW in Devilfish disruption pods

Total 145

10x FW

Total 100

10x FW

Total 100

HEAVY

2x Railhead with TL MP, disruption pods, targeting arrays.
Total 340

3x XV88 with TL MP and Multi trackers
total 225

Grand Total 1994

So that is my list, I've done a few matchs so far with a 1000 point army, everyone bashs on the FW but they did rack up heaps of kills for me.

The Piranhas were also awesome tank hunters for me.

So yeah any advice would be awesome!

Thanks
Splatterfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2011, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wont go through your list point by point (not right now) but what I can do is show you my 2k list that I made with some help from a more experienced friend.

Quote:
2000 Pts - Tau Empire Roster

Shas'o (1#, 127 pts)
. . 1 Commander Shas'o, 127 pts ((C:TE, pg. 32); Independent Character; Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Stimulant Injector; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Target Lock; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Relentless)

Crisis Alpha (3#, 186 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 186 pts ((C:TE, pg. 34); Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker; Acute Senses; Deep Strike)
. . . . 1 Crisis Battlesuit (Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker)

Crisis Bravo (3#, 186 pts)
. . 1 Crisis Battlesuit, 186 pts ((C:TE, pg. 34); Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker; Acute Senses; Deep Strike)

Crisis Charlie (3#, 186 pts)

Firewarrior Team (10#, 100 pts)
. . 10 Fire Warrior, 100 pts ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Infantry; Pulse Rifle x10)

Kroot Carnivore Alpha (25#, 170 pts)
. . 20 Kroot Carnivore Squad, 170 pts ((C:TE, pg. 37); Unit Type: Infantry; Kroot Rifle x20; Fieldcraft; Infiltrate)
. . . . 5 Kroot Hounds

Kroot Carnivore Bravo (24#, 163 pts)
. . 19 Kroot Carnivore Squad, 163 pts ((C:TE, pg. 37); Unit Type: Infantry; Kroot Rifle x19; Fieldcraft; Infiltrate)
. . . . 5 Kroot Hounds

Pathfinder Alpha (5#, 173 pts)
. . 4 Pathfinder, 173 pts ((C:TE, pg. 38); Unit Type: Infantry; Markerlight x4; Pulse Carbine x4; Scouts)
. . . . 1 Devilfish ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Transport Capacity: 12 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Burst Cannon; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Disruption Pod; Seeker Missile x2; Smart Missile System)

Pathfinder Bravo (5#, 163 pts)
. . 4 Pathfinder, 163 pts ((C:TE, pg. 38); Unit Type: Infantry; Markerlight x4; Pulse Carbine x4; Scouts)
. . . . 1 Devilfish ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Transport Capacity: 12 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Burst Cannon; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Disruption Pod; Seeker Missile x1; Smart Missile System)

Hammerhead Alpha (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Hammerhead Gunship, 175 pts ((C:TE, pg. 41); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Railgun; Landing Gear; Targeting Array; Smart Missile System; Disruption Pod; Multi-Tracker)

Hammerhead Bravo (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Hammerhead Gunship, 175 pts ((C:TE, pg. 41); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Railgun; Landing Gear; Targeting Array; Smart Missile System; Disruption Pod; Multi-Tracker)

Broadside Team (4#, 195 pts)
. . 1 Broadside Battlesuit, 195 pts ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Twin Linked Railgun; Unit Type: Infantry; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Advanced Stabilisation System; Team Leader)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Twin Linked Railgun; Unit Type: Infantry; Smart Missile System; Advanced Stabilisation System)
. . . . 1 Shield Drone (Shield Generator)

Validation Report:
c-1. File Version: 1.12.1.2 For Bug Reports/www.ab40k.org; b-1. Roster Options: Special Characters; a-1. Scenario: Normal Mission; 1. Enclaves: Tau Empire
Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Composition Report:
HQ: 1 (1 - 2)
Elite: 3 (0 - 3)
Troops: 3 (2 - 6)
Fast: 2 (0 - 3)
Heavy: 3 (0 - 3)

Total Roster Cost: 1999

Created with Army BuilderŪ - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com
Granted, I have only played one game with this specific list against Space Wolves (I lost, but I think Tau is going to be hard to win with against Marines until GW updates the Codex), but my previous 2k lists have been very similar.

Last edited by Exigency102; 30 Jan 2011 at 22:07.
Exigency102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2011, 20:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thats a pretty awesome list, was just wondering why you choose not to have body guards though and why two teams of path finders
Old 30 Jan 2011, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry to double post but I've read that deathrain is a must to have in your army, I took the helios over the fireknife due to the stats making it more well rounded
Old 30 Jan 2011, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

No bodyguards because the way things stand right now with the Codex, Bodyguards cost an extra 10 points for +1 WS. Shasvre are completely useless. Also, I can join my commander to any suit team, what I do is attach it to my broadsides to provide support when infantry gets too close and that way he has the 4+ invuln from the shield drones. The reason the shield drones are with the broadsides in the first place is because that gives them 2+ armor save instead of 3+.

Two pathfinders simply because it gives me more markerlights with more angles. Unfortunately, that didnt really work out too well in game, so I am open to suggestions on that.

I dont know about Deathrain suits, I cant see how useful it would be to have TL Missile Pods when you can have a rapid fire weapon with similar strength and no armor save allowed. As far as taking Fireknife over Helios, if I want to use fusion blasters I can put them on Piranhas instead and keep my suits out of CC range, or I can just use railguns and seeker missiles for tank busting.

Taking Deathrain and Helios seems slightly contradictory to me, because you are shortening the reach of one team and compensating by using twin linked missile pods on the other team.

Also, you probably want 3 crisis teams. They are the lynch-pin of the Tau army due to their mobility and diversity, so use them as much as possible.

Last edited by Exigency102; 30 Jan 2011 at 21:31.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 00:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

How do you attach him? I thought only special characters could attach?

I was going to use deathrain to wale on the troops until Helios gets in nice and close.

The piranhas I want to use for tank hunting so I don't want to get rid of them.

Have you found the shorter range of the kroot rifle a problem?

I agree with the crysis teams. I was going to use my hq as a crysis team so it would still be 9 suits all up.

Pathfinders seem a bit to expensive to run two squads.

Thanks for the help an patience.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 00:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Any independent character can join or leave a unit (See Page 48 of the Rulebook).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterfest View Post
I was going to use deathrain to wale on the troops until Helios gets in nice and close.
The problem with that is that if you're going against troops, you really don't need the fusion blaster. You're only ever getting 1 shot, instead of 2 if they get too close, the S8 over S6 is really only going to help for Instant Death, and the AP1 and Melta only help against Tanks, because Plasma is going to automatically wound at AP2 anyway (unless they have invuln). It COULD potentially work against vehicles, but again, there are better ways to take them down than risking your suits in CC.

I was in agreement with you on the Piranha's, put fusion blasters on THEM and use them for tank hunting INSTEAD of the suits.

The shorter range of the kroot rifle has never seemed problematic to me, it matches up with everything (pulse rifles having 30" is because of Tau's fluff) and is on par with other armies' rapid fire weapons. It's also more balanced because they give kroot and extra attack and kroot are actually good in CC. The problem I DO have with kroot is keeping them alive at all. Often times i deploy them at the vanguard of the army, in cover, and draw fire. This keeps the heat off my other units (sometimes), but they often end up pinned for the whole game in order to give them a chance at survival (due to their significant lack of armor save) and dead before they can even close in CC. However, I DID play a game against nids where they were able to take out an entire brood of gaunts in CC while also engaged by the Tyrant and 2 tyrant guards, so they do have their good days.

You could run the HQ as a crisis squad, but it's more efficient points wise not to, as Shas'vre are 10 extra points for no stats benefit.

Ya, Pathfinders are expensive because of the damn Devilfish, and I might change that. I'll open my Army Builder roster and see what I might be able to replace them with.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 01:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Shas'o (1#, 127 pts)
. . 1 Commander Shas'o, 127 pts ((C:TE, pg. 32); Independent Character; Unit Type: Jump Infantry (Jet Packs); Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Stimulant Injector; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Target Lock; Acute Senses; Deep Strike; Relentless)
you can get more points if you Drop Shas'o and go Shas'el with target array it's pretty much the same thing then.

Quote:
Crisis Alpha (3#, 186 pts)

Crisis Bravo (3#, 186 pts)

Crisis Charlie (3#, 186 pts)
I would suggest making one crisis suit in each time plasma / fusion blaster 1 for AP becaue if an enemy is that close you want them dead anyways or if an opertune vech is there IE preditor or something else. Plus it helps with wound allocation

Quote:
Firewarrior Team (10#, 100 pts)
. . 10 Fire Warrior, 100 pts ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Infantry; Pulse Rifle x10)
Personally I don't like either of our troop choices but if you want to save some points to put elsewhere 4 less fw for 40 points.

Quote:
Kroot Carnivore Alpha (25#, 170 pts)
. . 20 Kroot Carnivore Squad, 170 pts ((C:TE, pg. 37); Unit Type: Infantry; Kroot Rifle x20; Fieldcraft; Infiltrate)
. . . . 5 Kroot Hounds

Kroot Carnivore Bravo (24#, 163 pts)
. . 19 Kroot Carnivore Squad, 163 pts ((C:TE, pg. 37); Unit Type: Infantry; Kroot Rifle x19; Fieldcraft; Infiltrate)
. . . . 5 Kroot Hounds
I have had no luck with Kroot but some people swear by them. I leave it up to you

Quote:
Pathfinder Alpha (5#, 173 pts)
. . 4 Pathfinder, 173 pts ((C:TE, pg. 38); Unit Type: Infantry; Markerlight x4; Pulse Carbine x4; Scouts)
. . . . 1 Devilfish ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Transport Capacity: 12 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Burst Cannon; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Disruption Pod; Seeker Missile x2; Smart Missile System)

Pathfinder Bravo (5#, 163 pts)
. . 4 Pathfinder, 163 pts ((C:TE, pg. 38); Unit Type: Infantry; Markerlight x4; Pulse Carbine x4; Scouts)
. . . . 1 Devilfish ((C:TE, pg. 36); Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank, Skimmer); Transport Capacity: 12 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 0; Burst Cannon; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Disruption Pod; Seeker Missile x1; Smart Missile System)
too few in each team and too expensive to take 2
Quote:
Hammerhead Alpha (1#, 175 pts)

Hammerhead Bravo (1#, 175 pts)

Broadside Team (4#, 195 pts)
. . 1 Broadside Battlesuit, 195 pts ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Twin Linked Railgun; Unit Type: Infantry; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Advanced Stabilisation System; Team Leader)
. . . . 1 Broadside Battlesuit ((C:TE, pg. 40); Acute Senses; Twin Linked Railgun; Unit Type: Infantry; Smart Missile System; Advanced Stabilisation System)
no real complaints... just be warned that even though the HH hits on 3+ when you miss it's like end of days feelings. but with 2 less likely that both will miss unless you are me of course.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 01:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

While analyzing MY list was slightly off topic I do appreciate your input. The only thing I really disagree with is the commander, with a Shas'o you're getting a bump in WS, BS, Wo, A, AND Ld. If I take a Shas'el with TA that's only 15 less points and a lack of hard point that I could use for another weapon or maybe (just considering this option now) VRT.

I have tried suits outfitted for either anti-armor or anti-infantry roles, in fact I have an Enclave list that has teams set up as such, but I've only had measured success so I'll just have to keep trying things.

Quote:
no real complaints... just be warned that even though the HH hits on 3+ when you miss it's like end of days feelings. but with 2 less likely that both will miss unless you are me of course.
Good God, don't I know it. In that SW game I mentioned I was pushed into the corner (Deployment was Spearhead which sucked), and desperately trying to fend off his HQ which was a mounted Battle Leader in Power Armor with 2 Fenrisian wolves. I threw PR and MP at it and managed to kill the wovles, and finally took a shot at him with my Railhead.... Didn't hit it

Basically everything that could possibly go wrong in a Tau fight can be chalked up to it's outdated Codex, haha. Check out my "Tau Codex Revisions" thread, I'm trying to "fix" the rules. Once I have everything set I'm going to playtest them against the friend who chewed me up with SW.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 05:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
While analyzing MY list was slightly off topic I do appreciate your input. The only thing I really disagree with is the commander, with a Shas'o you're getting a bump in WS, BS, Wo, A, AND Ld. If I take a Shas'el with TA that's only 15 less points and a lack of hard point that I could use for another weapon or maybe (just considering this option now) VRT.
Granted you get a lot of "extra" stuff but what do you really use? WS you still are not good in CC. BS is good but I've allready accounted for Wo is ok but if you put him with a team of crisis suits he's already going to have to chew through a lot of wounds to get to him. A again really shouldn't be in CC LD is a moot point by the time they are making leadership checks you'll already be down a lot and it's only one point of leadership for almost the same amount of chance. and they have the same number of hard points. VRT isn't as great as it sounds it's still opposed init and our init sucks balls.