Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Devilfish and the Force Organization Chart
Old 27 Jan 2011, 22:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Devilfish and the Force Organization Chart

The main rulebook states that dedicated transports don't use a FOC slot, but instead count with the unit that took them. So the Pathfinder's Devilfish is Elite in that instance but doesn't use an elite spot in the chart. However, I see nothing that says a transport cannot be taken on its own. The Fire Warriors don't have an option to "take a Devilfish as a dedicated transport." So in this case, what is the ruling? If I take 12 Fire Warriors and a Devilfish do I HAVE to assign it to them, in which case it doesn't count as a second troop choice or can I simply take a Devilfish as a troop slot in the FOC?

Thanks!

***Edit:
Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited by DangerousFat; 28 Jan 2011 at 01:57.
DangerousFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2011, 08:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to lpetersson

Given how it's listed in the codex, I would argue that yes, you can take a Devilfish as a troop choice.

It's listed as a choice under Troops, and unless I missed something, it doesn't seem to say that it may only be taken as a transport...
Or did I overlook something?
lpetersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2011, 09:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would agree the devilfish can be taken on it's own but why would want to?
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2011, 14:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That's the exactly how I felt about it, but it's specifically called a transport and to the left, in the margin, in faded text, it says transport. The issue is, if it can be taken as a stand-alone troop choice, then an EMPTY Devilfish could capture control points as only troops can capture control points. It's basically a problem with clarity, 5th edition codexes have cleared this up. The Devilfish can only be taken as a dedicated transport, now, what you do with it after that is your business. You can unload it immediately and send it off on its own or in the case of pathfinders, unload them and perhaps throw some fire warriors in it. But to make sense with the rules, it apparently cannot be a stand-alone troop choice.

Or at least, this is how it was explained to me, what makes sense to me, and how we're going to be playing it in our friendly games.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 15:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
I would agree the devilfish can be taken on it's own but why would want to?
I'm not sure how useful this would be, but for 105 points youd get a vehicle that has decent(ish) armour, and a burst cannon + sms at BS4.
This might not be a game winner, but it could be an excellent harassment unit which will force some saves and hopefully attract some fire which would otherwise be heading towards something more fragile.

*And* it can claim objectives.

Sure, another crisis suit will usually be preferable, but a vehicle running interference could be very useful...
Old 28 Jan 2011, 15:46   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetersson View Post
*And* it can claim objectives.
That's the thing, in 5th edition it can't, an empty transport cannot capture points, it has to have troops in it.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 16:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousFat View Post
That's the thing, in 5th edition it can't, an empty transport cannot capture points, it has to have troops in it.
Hmmm, just reread the relevant section.
It doesn't actually matter so much that it's an empty transport, but that it's a vehicle...
Shame, there was so much potential...
Old 28 Jan 2011, 18:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As it has been argued and is held by the gamers in my local area, and thus why I generally dont bother except with my pathfinders, a devilfish cannot be taken as a designated transport and you have to expend a troop slot for every devilfish you take more than are with your pathfinders and they cannot take objectives unless they have troops with them which have to dismount in order to take the objective.

Thus why my force is basically infantry aligned with the occasional hammerhead and the devilfish for my pathfinders. Okay and sometimes some pirahna just for the fun of trying them again (I suck with pirahna...)
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2011, 07:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Transports are taken as an upgrade for a squad, in the same way you can give a Shas'ui fire warrior a markerlight, or a chaos champion a power fist.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 12:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats what I always thought but "its not what the codex says, your firewarriors don't say they can take a designated transport". Gotta love um, then shoot their troops in the face and watch them cry.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote