Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau names for other races?
Old 23 Feb 2011, 13:26   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to lpetersson

That is quite useful, thanks Exigency.
It's a shame they don't name their sources, but I'll use it for now :-)
lpetersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2011, 04:18   #12 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigency102 View Post
It answers your question as to what the Eldar are called: Ar'cea
Unfortunately you can't just tack on the word for darkness, "da," to make Dark Eldar because it's actually a phrase composed of the words for "High" and "Civilised" or "Enlightened."
I'm guessing that the Tau call Dark Eldar Ar'cea as well, none of the other non-Eldar races have been really able to distinguish between Eldar and the Dark Kin yet.
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2011, 13:23   #13 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I'm guessing that the Tau call Dark Eldar Ar'cea as well, none of the other non-Eldar races have been really able to distinguish between Eldar and the Dark Kin yet.
.... What makes you say that? I find it hard to believe that nobody can tell the difference between the grace and terrible beauty of the Eldar and the sadistic malice of the Dark Eldar. If you can't tell just by appearance, then the next thing would be technology and after that behavior. That's like saying an eagle and a crow are the same thing because they're both birds.
Exigency102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2011, 13:53   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

dunno
maybe they don't mind
there is also a HUGE difference between SM chapters
the light blue of the barbaric space wolves and the blood red of the haughty blood angels
maybe they think the same about eldar
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2011, 16:45   #15 (permalink)
Shas'La

But those are subtle differences. Space Marines are still Space Marines, differences between the Chapters are as differences between apples or breeds of dogs. Eldar and Dark Eldar have a major fundamental difference, despite their singular origin.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 23:45   #16 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Very much so, the Eldar and Dark Eldar are (in every way except biologically) incredibly different. However, when they appear to other races, Dark Eldar always just seem like a hasty version, and not that far off. Both are ruthless tactically and in personality, they are both incredibly skilled and graceful. Throughout the Tau story in the DE codex, the Tau recognize them as "Eldar", even though it was a Haemonculi that appeared before them. And very few races that get close enough to really witness them survive the fight.

It's not like confusing a crow and an Eagle, it's like looking up at a soaring bird, it could be an eagle, it could be a vulture, but it only made one swoop and flew off into the direction of the sun.

I know the Imperium of Man can't tell the difference, and neither do the Orks, I don't think Tau have had enough contact with them to deem them separate races, just different factions (if they even recognize that). No more than Commander Farsight to the rest of the Tau.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 01:38   #17 (permalink)
Shas'La

I disagree. Just because a few individuals were fooled doesn't mean the Empire as a whole is unaware of the difference, but without having read the fluff, I can't say definitively that that's the case. However, to emphasize my point, can Tau tell the difference between Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines? THEY both have identical origins as well, but the Space Marines are noble, fervent warriors fighting for something they believe in (the Emperor and mankind as a whole) whereas Chaos Space Marines just kill to sate the thirst of their twisted Gods (and themselves).

Look at it completely objectively. If you were FIGHTING (not talking to like in the Codex fluff) an Eldar army one day, and the next you're fighting a Dark Eldar army, wouldn't YOU yourself be able to say, "Wait a minute, these guys are different. Yesterday those guys were scary, but had a terrible, ancient beauty about them, and killed with a practiced grace. Today, they ride about on skiffs adorned with warpaint and gruesome trophies of war as they laugh maniacally in the heat of battle and cause pain seemingly for the enjoyment of it. Oh, and they're capturing my comrades and taking them as slaves. The guys we're fighting today are really different from the ones yesterday, they're DARKer." Now you add to that the fact that the Tau have the Ethereals to guide them in their profound wisdom as well as the Water Caste who have had innumerous transactions with other races, collecting information on likely whatever they can, being a young and growing race.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 04:59   #18 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I know in the Imperium of Man, they consider them two factions, but know very little about them (Either one), and they simply call them Eldar Raiders, considering them the same thing with different tactics.

Eldar RARELY attack the Tau, and the same goes for Dark Eldar. The spirit of the Tau people is so much weaker than that of a man's, and there aren't as many of them, so there is no reason for the Dark Eldar to raid them on any kind of regular basis (It's like taking a donut hole instead of a whole donut.) Combined with the Tau average life span being something along the lines of 30 years, it could be confused. Also, the Dark Eldar army isn't a giant cackling fest, that's really just the Hellions. The Warriors are extremely well trained gunmen, the Wyches run around as gracefully as a banshee, and the Incubi look very similar to the striking scorpions. So my personal answer to your question is no, each race has so many different pieces of technology that they can draw from, seeing a few different types of guns, armor, and vehicles wouldn't change who they were.

Although if (in their arrogance), one of the Pirate Kings announced his presence and introduced himself as Dark Eldar, then that would be the only real way to get to "Dark" Eldar. I would choose cruel, dead, or pale above Dark, from an analysts viewpoint.

Last edited by Dread; 25 Feb 2011 at 05:03.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 11:07   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

vespids are Mal'kor bye the way
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2011, 17:24   #20 (permalink)
Shas'La

It doesn't matter what the Imperium actually calls them, all that matters is that they know the difference. The frequency of encounters doesn't matter either, the Empire is not a vast collection of systems and territories bogged down by bureaucracy like the Imperium. If the Eldar or Dark Eldar have been encountered (which clearly they have, as shown by the Tau and DE Codices) then the whole Empire is going to know about it. Finally, I can't believe you just actually argued that Dark Eldar and Eldar look alike. The only thing that's similar is their build. None of the comparisons you made are valid. Also, as I believe I may have mentioned before, the Tau are SMART. They are NOT going to look at Dark Eldar, see the same size and general shape of the bodies, and then ignore the darker colors, different armor, different weapons, different transport, different mentalities, different tactics, etc, etc and just decide they're the same as Eldar. Add that to the previous arguments and there's just no way that they don't know the difference.