Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sheild Drone confusion and drone confusion in general
Old 24 Jan 2011, 22:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Sheild Drone confusion and drone confusion in general

Hello all, I'm new to these parts having come from running Daemon Hunters and Codex Space Marines.

I am just starting a Tau army and there are a couple of things with which I'm still confused and haven't been able to find an answer.

1) Does a commander with 2 drones have to take a morale check when losing one of them, and count as less than 50% if both die?

2) If a commander with 2 drones is assaulted can the commander be picked out or do the drones count as a retinue for assault purposes?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this was already answered somewhere else that I wasn't able to find.
fuzbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2011, 22:44   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i know the drones can be assaulted and then the unit counts as being assaulted, both drones and commander
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 13:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzbuckle View Post
I am just starting a Tau army and there are a couple of things with which I'm still confused and haven't been able to find an answer.

1) Does a commander with 2 drones have to take a morale check when losing one of them, and count as less than 50% if both die?

2) If a commander with 2 drones is assaulted can the commander be picked out or do the drones count as a retinue for assault purposes?
Hi, i am not expert not having played in a long time. However Assault rules still apply across all races so let me take a stab at answering.

1) I believe drones are considered as Battle-suit Warear pg.25, and are not part of a unit as such. Drones are only a unit when they are in an independent squadron pg.38

To answer your question, no if you loose both drones you do not loose 2/3 of your unit as you only have guy in your squad, the commander. Count the drones as extra Wounds, so if you take 2 wounds, you can choose to allocate them to the commander or to the drones and then the respective unit would roll their own saves. eg. drones on a 4+ or commander on a 3+

2) same as all assault rules. Wounds can be allocated when the unit comes into assault, in your case your unit is the commander and drones are just wargear. Enemy can allocate wounds to which ever. eg. if they have 10 attacks they may put 6 on commander and 2 on each of the drones. Enemy would roll separately for each and then you would take appropriate saves against the relevant dice.

eg. from 6 attacks commander may receive 2 wounds, then he would roll 3+ saves

from 2 attacks each, drones may only receive 1 wound and you would roll a 4+ against those.

CC gets more complex with wound allocation and base to base contact when there is a mix of different troops within a units. Eg. Commander with bodyguards, with drones. Each can have very different stats so each can be attacked individually (if they are in base to base contact). This is why rules require "pile in" so that as many units are touching as possible.

this the way i understand it, in a nutshell.
Tautastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2011, 05:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

According to page 31 of the codex, Drones are counted when determining 25% casualities.

So if unit of 1 loses one of the drones then a morale test is needed because there were 33% casualities.
Artiee is offline   Reply With Quote