Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how do i kill marines?
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jul 2005, 15:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default how do i kill marines?

any one have luck against marines? how do you beat them?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: how do i kill marines?

Usually you can just mass up pulse weapons to kill them. Either that, or Plasma. Plasma is always good against SMurfs ^_^.
Often though, such large numbers of Plasma weapons are going to hurt you agian when you face armies that use numbers over armour saves to survive.
This is why Pulse weapons (such as FWs and Stealths) are so good. If you make the SMurfs keep taking armour saves, then you'll get eventually get a few kills.
On the other hand, while the Plasma is more effective and reliable, you still won't have that many of them, and it's possible that they can just overwhelm you with numbers instead, which would be sad if this is any competent SMurf player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 15:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Sound advice, just approach these guys like you would any other army to be honest. Tactics can change of course but army selection doesn't neccesserily have to, here are some pointers that I have learnt -

I find pathfinders always useful against Space Marines, because there are less of them and they have tougher armour it is much more important that our big guns (battlesuits, tanks) hit home - and markerlights do just that - creatnig deadly hails of railgun, plasma or ion cannon fire.

When selectign heavy stpport make sure you have an Ion Cannon in there somewhere - it is great at armour splitting, and rhino/landspeeder busting.

A common problem is terminators - especially if they deepstrike, however I find that if I just keep my Crisis Suits (inc. commander_ spread between my lines, each with plasma rifles, then there are never enoguh to cause me serious problems (i.e getting into assault with me).

Old 29 Jul 2005, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

Did you try using the search function when you wanted to ask this question? There was just an article on how to kill SpaM. Thee best weapon to use against them, the Plasma rifle, and only one unit that can have them, Crisis Suits.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
Old 29 Jul 2005, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Broadsides can have plasma rifles remember, and so can Hammerheads if you play by forge world rules! Although plasma is very good, never get to attatched to it over everything else, some space marine armies can have missile launchers and lascannons in abundance which (if they hit and wound) will kill outright our plasma toting suits.

I prefer to use my plasma as a last resort and instead use the suits defensivly to move around and support parts of the firing line where marines are closing in. I haven't enough suits to try an all out plasma offensive, but remember at 12" (where plasma works best) things can get messy and you may learn that Crisis Suits aren't really that survivable...I prefer to keep mine out of the direct firing line and support where necessery, just my way of handling power armour and it has never let me down!

Old 29 Jul 2005, 17:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

There has been a million topics about killing space marines...I post up a few for you.

Enjoy! ;D
Old 29 Jul 2005, 18:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

As A'u'nat said, this topic comes up about once a week.

In a nutshell, the best killing machine against SM is the plasma rifle as has been said. Barring a totally bearded list, massing your FW fires is the next best thing.

I find that if I shoot 3 FW units into a SM unit for two turns atlong range, then 2 FW units at short range for one turn, The SM unit will no longer be a scoring unit by time it assaults me (hopefully I'm in cover). This means a typcial unit of 8 SM will have taken something like 120 shots. that comes to 15 shots per SM with an average of 7.5 hits per SM and 4.5 saves by the SM. On average 3 SM died each turn.

Of course, other SM units are also out there, so massing fires also means sacrificing time, space, and troops. You must keep the game's goal in mind always in order to score a victory, which often will be control rather than kills. In any event, killing one unit of SM at a time translates to much better odds than trying to whittle three down at the same time. 8 SM taking 24 long range shots and another 24 short range shots from a single FW units gives you a total of 48 shots, or 6 shots per SM. This translates to 3 hits and 2 SM saves. Six shot per SM over 3 turns means killing one per turn. He has 5 SM left when he assaults.

combined mass FW firing or prepare for CC across the board

Wanax
Old 29 Jul 2005, 19:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Since I made the topic A'u'nat linked to, I have gotten a lot more troops, and I have gotten better at hiding in and behind cover, and running away.

However, a problem I still have is with massively invincible characters, like librarians. I faced a player with the gall to walk straight out into my line of fire - EVERYTHING's line of fire. He had a squad of regular marines, and a librarian right there. It took the librarian two turns to get to me, and I had a turn to fire everything on the table at him, and I caused him to lose one wound total. Statistically it is just about impossible, but all my plasma missed (even the 'el's twin linked! one-one-two-one!) and I think one pulse weapon shot got through.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 22:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You could try

72 fire warriors(no toppings)

2 Broadsides/plasma

2 Ioncannon hammerheads/w burst cannon/decoy launcher/multi tracker

And all of your remaining points in crisis suits equiiped with Plasma/burst/mt or plasma/burst/shield gen/mt for hqs or possibly plasma/burst/gun drones and if you max out at fifteen or so suits dump the rest of your points into squads of gun drones.

Try it for concentrated firepower, then branch off and look for armies that require tactics to win
Old 29 Jul 2005, 23:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

As has been said earlier, massed fire, along with Ion Cannons and Pathfinders, can be dynamite against Marines.

In my 1500 point "all comers list," since I knew I'd be facing a lot of Marines, I loaded up on AP3+ weapons - my 1500 pt. list includes: 2 full squads Fire Warriors (w/ML), 1 18-Kroot Squad 3 Fireknives, 2 Broadsides, 1 Ionhead, 8 Pathfinders (2 w/Rail Rifile, w/ DF), 6 Gue
Vesa (w/ML) and 8 Seekers. By targeting a single squad with the Pathfinders, Ion Cannon, and a squad of Fire Warriors, and then others as needed, I am very capable of knocking down an entire full squad at range with little problem. This setup leaves me a little weak against AP2 stuff, but that's why I have the 3 Fireknives and Broadsides.

That's how I take them down, personally; it works well enough.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Closed Thread