Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

List check plz
Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default List check plz

Greetings!

been into tau for yonks but have not played in a long long time. Have a tournament in 2 weeks time, just a local one to check out the scene.

I am unsure of the opponents but lists are 1k otherwise all standard rules apply, ah and it's also a round robin so i assume you would get a few random enemies on your way to the playoffs. The guy at the shop said there are a couple of flavors of marines (red, black etc.), and collection of the less common races. More tau, necrons, tyranids, orks, chaos deamons... etc?. All you can eat basically!

So I've been juggling a list for a week now and would like to hear some thought from the greater good. The aim is a jack of all trades, master of none sort of list.

SQ1[8]: x7 Firewarriors pulse rifles, x1 Leader with Marker-light
SQ2[6]: x5 Firewarriors pulse rifles, x1 Leader with marker-light
SQ3[6]: x5 vanila pathfinders, x1 with railrifle
- with mandatory Warfish (SMS, x2 SM, TA, DP)
SQ4[1]: Hammerhead (Railgun, SMS, x1 SM, TA, DP)
SQ5[5]: x4 Stealth Team, x1 Leader with FB (ML & Multi-racker)
SQ6[1]: x1 vanila broadside with TA
SQ7[1]: Shas'el Commander with TL-MPods, and FB (Multi-tracker)
SQ8[1]: x1 Crisis suit leader with BC, Plasma & TA (multi-tracker)

997pts.

Tactics behind the list:
Hammerhead with throw around pie plates, and solid shots depending on the enemy. SMS will give a bit more sting, TL would be nice but cant afford it.

Firewariors will do various things, anywhere from ride around the fish to hold objectives. Rapid fire or provide markerlight support and 30" shots.

Stealth team gets the fun role. Infiltrate 18" from enemy during setup maybe 12" from vehicle. This is particularly if i get first go. I don't think many people expect 12 shots (S5,AP5) plus a Fusion in the face 1st round. When placed carefully may weaken some of the grunt squads and confuse the enemy. still tossing up on the fusion.

C-Suits are just general support. probably try and keep em closer together so that they can protect each other. Not quite sure what these guys will do... Prolly bunch of Jump Shoot Jump for annoyance.

Pathfinders will be on markerlight duty, with a railrifle just as a spare cheap S6, AP3... prolly mostly static until they die. by round 2-3

Im hoping the Warfish will draw attention away from the weaker units, and also give the enemy two vehicles to worry about rather then obliterating the railhead in round 1. Both of the vehicle do have 3 seekers (total) to play around with and i will be unloading them as soon as i have markeright hits as i am bound to either loose too many markerkights or vehicles with their seekers still onboard by round 2-3

that's kinda it... Thoughts? suggestions? 1k is pretty hard cant take fluff like drones. particularly if ur fighting both horde and mec army's

PS: i don't do kroot

Last edited by Tautastic; 24 Jan 2011 at 08:59.
Tautastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2011, 12:06   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

aww come on... somebody.. any body? bump!!!

the stealth infiltration rule confirmation would also be good hope i eam reading the rulebook correctly. Deploy anywhere on the table within no closer then 18" right?
Old 24 Jan 2011, 18:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Can't have a 5 man squad of firewarriors spilt it to two groups of 6 and give one of them the devilfish

drop the markerlights off the firewarriors squads and increase the size of your pathfinder squad

drop the rail rifle off the pathfinder and get more pathfinders

drop the SMS off the hammerhead and get a multitracker allows you to move 12 inches and fire the railgun.

drop the fusion blaster markerlight and multitracker off the stealth team leader get more stealth suits and/or add a drone controller to you leader for two gun drones (throw away wounds to save stealthsuits)

give the suit leader missile pods instead of burst canon and drop the fusion blaster off the shasel for a plasma rifle join those two together and if you have spare points form all my cuts add gun drones to both of them.

P.S this should be in the army list thread hope this helps
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 08:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Can't have a 5 man squad of firewarriors spilt it to two groups of 6 and give one of them the devilfish
I don't have a 5 man team. it's a 6man team because there is a leader in there also. (idea was the 6man Firewariors would sit in the same Fish as the Pathfinders. So when pathfinders get off to markerlight camp fish would move on with the firewariors 6 firewariors

Quote:
drop the markerlights off the firewarriors squads and increase the size of your pathfinder squad
How do you combat lack of markerlights later in the game, or that pathfinders can only light up one enemy unit?

Quote:
drop the rail rifle off the pathfinder and get more pathfinders
point taken!

Quote:
drop the SMS off the hammerhead and get a multi-tracker allows you to move 12 inches and fire the railgun.
Multi-tracker is a good idea i did not realize it did something different for vehicle then on suits. good call

Quote:
drop the fusion blaster marker-light and multi-tracker off the stealth team leader get more stealth suits and/or add a drone controller to you leader for two gun drones (throw away wounds to save stealth-suits)

Quote:
give the suit leader missile pods instead of burst canon and drop the fusion blaster off the shasel for a plasma rifle join those two together and if you have spare points form all my cuts add gun drones to both of them.
I've tweaked the list. Here is the change

SQ1[6]: x6 Firewarriors pulse rifles, x1 Leader with Marker-light
SQ2[6]: x6 Firewarriors pulse rifles, x1 Leader with marker-light
SQ3[7]: x7 Pathfinders
- with mandatory Warfish (SMS, x2 SM, TA, DP, Multi-tracker)
SQ4[1]: Hammerhead (Railgun, BC, x1 SM, TA, DP, Multi-tacker)
SQ5[8]: x5 Stealth Team, x1 Leader
2 Gun Drones
SQ6[1]: x1 Broadside with TA
SQ7[2]: Shas'el Commander with TL-MPods, and PR (Multi-tracker)
- Crisis Leader - MPod, PR and TA (Multi-tracker)
- 2 gun drones

994pts

Quote:
P.S this should be in the army list thread hope this helps
Thanks. Can an admin relocate this thread?

Can anyone confirm infiltration rule. Am i able to drop the Stealth right at their doorstep on deploy?

What are your thoughts on using the seekers? from experience long time ego i lost them before use... should i fire most off even at the more basic squads (various space marine squads) just to take those insta-gib kills with no Armour saves? or Save them up for anti armour?

I threw a m

Last edited by Tautastic; 25 Jan 2011 at 09:18.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 11:51   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

with infiltration you can put suits anywhere on the map as long as you follow these two rules:
you may deploy your suits 18 inches away from a enemy unit that can see you
and-----
you may deploy your suits 12 inches away if the enemy cant get a line of sight on them.

i couldnt tell you about seekers i have yet to use them myself........
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 18:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

drop Smart missiles on devil (PLEASE dont use the word SM)

drop the SS team if i was you
they always seem to get killed the turn they arrive and wont shoot their points of enemies with those burst cannons
it's a lousy amount of firepower for 150 points
better take more broads and take Shield drones on Shas'o
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyar View Post
it's a lousy amount of firepower for 150 points
better take more broads and take Shield drones on Shas'o
It's exactly the same amount of firepower you get from 15 firewarriors 10 points per shot at BS 3 the only difference is you lose the scoring of the firewarriors and gain 3+ armour jetpacks infiltrate and deepstrike special rules which negate the range difference.

and if you can't get those points back your either not using markers or shooting at the wrong targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tautastic View Post
How do you combat lack of markerlights later in the game, or that pathfinders can only light up one enemy unit?

What are your thoughts on using the seekers? from experience long time ego i lost them before use... should i fire most off even at the more basic squads (various space marine squads) just to take those insta-gib kills with no Armour saves? or Save them up for anti armour?
For first part you can't really other than to get markers from other sources like snipers skyrays or you could give a target lock to your pathfinder leader for the same thing it's just that a BS 3 marker for those kind of points is not worth it.

For second part seekers are NOT for armour unless your targeting rear or side armour and generally speaking shouldn't be used on basic marines unless on the squad has someone valuable in it like a captain or something you could insta kill.

Seekers are valuable and should really be used on prime targets unless you have loads like i do so ideally use them on stuff like expensive 3+ armour tyranids space marine bikers or almost any biker land speeders etc get the most bang for your buck as you can ^_^

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 25 Jan 2011 at 19:38.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote