Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How can i beat these space marines?
Old 23 Jan 2011, 22:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How can i beat these space marines?

Me and my friend are still really new to 40k. He plays Space marines and i play Tau.

My problem is that he has like 3 drop pods, 2 land raiders, and 2 rhinos.

He basically drops a couple drops pods near my deployment around turn 1 or 2. While his rhino's and land raiders move up 12 inches and deploy more marines.

My issue is that before i know it i have his entire army on top of mine. He has 2 assault terminators who really do some serious damage to my units. So on like turn 2 there are a couple units of assault terminators, a few squads of marines, and a couple land raiders firing upon my army. I currently have 2 fir warrior squads of 8 men, 2 kroot squads of 15 men +1 shaper, and 9 battle suits, and 2 hammerheads.
lhowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:01   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

correct me if i am wrong, he is not able to bring in reserves (via Deep Strike) or otherwise on Turn 1.

In addition he will have to roll to bring them in on consecutive rolls. Drop pods may have special rules but i would certainly double check that. I believe No Reserve turn one if fairly universal to stop exactly whats happening above.

Otherwise consider doing same thing he is... keeping the suits in reserve, and then deep striking around his key units. Consider spreading your forces. For example. Either LHS ro RHS of your side of the table that way he will have to drop in the middle or in-front of one of the groups... and then choose which area he will move towards to shoot and assault. This way you would be splitting his forces. Add deep striking suits to this combo and he will have three factors to consider. Not just the one clump of Tau.

Are you always playing Annihilation games. If you play objective games (official rules state you need to roll to see which game you play) the entire game strategy changes. a small force can defeat or at least draw with a much more power-full one.

This is just basics which dose not take army lists into account but may turn the tide. If you are fighting lots of heavy stuff maybe worth thinking about using Ion Cannon instead on at least one of the Hammerheads. the AP will negate most of his armour. It'll help you with the smaller stuff.. and you cna kit out couple suits for tank killing duties.
Tautastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

drop pods come in turn one
Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i only know tau...bearly. heh! hope the other stuff helps.

Hey if you are not going first you can always start everything in reserve then roll to bring deep striking units in first on the other side of the table.

I believe drop pods (from what I've just read need to have at least 1/2 deployed in 1st turn) so he would have to deploy his units.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 10:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

We play annihilation mostly. Its difficult for me to get rid of his 2 land raiders with only 2 hammerheads. Its very hard to get rid of his land raiders when my hammerheads get blown up because an assault squad was dropped very close to them and it got assaulted. Thanks for the tips guys!
lhowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Add a pair of broadsides in a broadside team, with shield drones. With their twin linked railguns thye are more likely to take out his heavy gear and gives a larger group of targets he has to eliminate to stop your tank stopping power. Also if you can figure out how to use them vespid are great for wiping out squads of regular marines. There are many threads discussing these tactics.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2011, 12:00   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

try equipping your firewariors with a leader and a markerlight. Because it'a heavy gun it stops the squad from moving, but even if you miss your guys can still fire the single shots from position.

However if you hit... you can give another unit +1BS (balistic skill). so you try and fire the marker-lights first (provided you don't want to move your firewariors)

and then use the marker-light hits to guide seeker missile or fire of some Hammerhead pain with much more accuracy.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 17:53   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

How are your Suits kitted out? If he's running assault Terminators and is rushing you with a Mech list, it would be useful to have Helios or Deathrain. What's the Point Limit you're playing at?

Please be more specific so that we can help you easier. Since he deepstrikes with Drop Pods, put a unit to screen your hammerheads for at least the first turn. Maybe even leave one of the Hammerheads in reserve. I usually leave one unit of Crisis Suits to Deep strike behind his transports. Also if playing Annhialation, remember his Drop pods are free kill points. They're fairly easy to destroy and this can give you an edge.

It also seems like you're playing a static list. If you give your Hammerheads Multitrackers, they can move 12" and still shoot one gun. If you do that it takes 4s to hit in close combat on a vehicle. Disruption pods are a must as well. It makes it so much easier for your unit to survive enemy fire.

More details make it easier to help you with your list and strategy.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Junkinggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:04   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdigitalblue View Post
drop pods come in turn one
Nope, half of your drop pod numbers may deepstrike on turn 1 (rounding up if odd numbers are owned), after this the normal deep strike rules apply like any other unit.
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 15:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

reserves and deep-strikers cannot enter play on turn one (its says in the rulebook, need I say more?)

What you need is alot of heavy firepower such as broadsides or hammerheads to destroy the enemy vechiles. spread your army out so if he does drop in you'll have more of a chance. Deep strike your battlesuits and attack him from the rear.