Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vs Chaos Marines
Old 19 Jan 2011, 20:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Vs Chaos Marines

Ok so i have a match coming up in about a week and a half with a buddy of mine im going to visit, he is playing Chaos Marines. Would the list i have built before be sufficient or would there be a different kind of tau list i should use like maybe vespid or something...... any help would be appriciated.
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2011, 06:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

depends on the list he's running
has he got elite thousand sons or plague marines with rhino's
or just full meched chaos marine units?
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2011, 11:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

hmm i know he has a defiler and some crazy looking terminator squad, but i dont know enough about chaos to really say...sadly......but i know he will not be completely meched out.
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2011, 12:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to lpetersson

I was about to open a similar thread...

And how would you guys deal with summoned daemons that can assault on the turn they deepstrike?

they could potentially really really hurt a Tau army badly...
lpetersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2011, 13:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetersson View Post
I was about to open a similar thread...

And how would you guys deal with summoned daemons that can assault on the turn they deepstrike?

they could potentially really really hurt a Tau army badly...
Can they i've never seen that what gives them that ability i don't have my chaos space marine codex with me at the moment?

huh Google seems to think they can that kinda sucks not much you can do except grin and take it i suppose.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 20 Jan 2011 at 13:45.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2011, 14:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

not completely meched wont be to hard to deal with
defiler isnt much work (railgun shots with some 'lights) and about summoned demons: keep your troops in cover/in high floor of a building because they always need to risk DSing near terrain (wich can pack out very bad indeed for that unit)
but they need an icon near them for assault on deep strike so you nearly already failed when those marines are THAT close
Old 20 Jan 2011, 16:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I can say, as a chaos player its ganna be dangerous (unless the guys doesn't know what hes doing because in that case its fine) The army will have alot of power armour and terminator armour models so AP3 and AP2 weapons would be useful. if he has any sense he would have given his chaos lord/sorcerer terminator armour, jumpack, bike or a daemonic steed. the Defiler shouldn't be too hard to take out with a railgun because it has a decent armour of 12 (front and side) Summoned daemons are tricky to deal with keep your army fairly spaced out and hope his deep striking fails, and yes daemons can assault after deep strike (I've seen it happen but they were my daemons fortunately) Alot of dakka is ganna be best things like: plasma rifles, fusion blasters (any Ap1, Ap2 or Ap3 weps) markerlights (for that 1+BS)
so...
1: Chaos vechiles have bad side armour compared to front armour, exsept land raiders
2: Daemons are fearless and will fight to a very bloody end, take them out quickly
3. Terminators are very tricky to take out because of that terminator armour
4. The enemy will almost always have a better BS than you, even that out with a markerlight
5. Deep striking crsis suits might be good to take pressaure of your main army, be careful not to get to close...
6. vespids might work well. im not sure about that because I've never used them.

Thats all i can tell you from the top of my head, a little bit more info about the guy your fighting and his units would be good.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 17:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Vespids can work well but have to be careful. Last chaos player i faced I fielded them and though they swarmed over a group of trees and descended upon a squad of CSMs wiping them out they were obliterated on his next turn by a daemon and another squad of marines who fortunately dismounted to get them. Won the fight but it was one of those "uncomfortably close" battles.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2011, 17:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

keep the vespids away from the summoned demons as their low AP shots are largely wasted on them. Once the mechanized bits of the army are crippled, you should be fine with simply playing keep away and tank shocking escape lanes for your suits. the demon princes just have to simply be torented to death due to the armor toughness and wounds it has. 2 squads of full fire warriors with markerlight support will do more than enough wounds on him to take him down.

As for the regular chaos marines, they are largely under the category of 'slightly worse than normal marines' so treat them as such. The exception being plague marines which are just nasty with the T5 FNP. Their ridiculous durability makes all my small arms useless, so load up everything you can and throw it in front of your crisis and broadside as a wall when they get too close.
tehlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2011, 17:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well most of the times pulse rifles are nasty against those marines
but you want to try solid shots from rail gun or farsight (wich ignores there FNP)