Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question on Shield Generators
Old 19 Jan 2011, 11:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Question on Shield Generators

Ok so i know this may be an easy one but i gotta ask cuz the answer will determine how i bulid another army list:

Per the Tau Codex a Shield Generator: The Cohesive energy field projected by the Shield Generator confers a 4+ Invunerable save.

Now would this grant the save to the whole unit or just the equipped model, it seems just the one model to me but just thought id ask.

Thanks for the Help.
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 12:04   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Pretty simple answer for this one. It only gives it to the Equipped Model. You can, however, put it on each model in the squad but that is extremely expensive.

A suggestion for you however. Use those shield generators to convert Gun Drones into shield drones. Simply glue the shield Generator to the bottom of the Drone's "frisbee" and drill a small hole in the bottom for the stand. These are 15pts a piece and have a 4+ invul. I use these in place of generators.

Ultimately its up to you, whether you give your team leader a SG or get SDs instead.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Junkinggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 12:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok cool thats what i thought it was but it does make more sense to take a shield drone for the squad, its cheaper and can be fodder if absolutely needed....
Old 19 Jan 2011, 13:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

double post sorry, but here is another question, would the drones be able to move the 6" during the assault phase with the crisis suits?
Old 19 Jan 2011, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

shield drones are better because they also give fodder wounds

but you can only take 2 PP
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 14:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes when drones are attached they gain the movement and advantages of their controlling unit. So if with infantry they move with/like infantry, when with crisis suits they move with/like crisis suits, if with stealth suits they gain the stealth field advantages and move with them like crisis suits I do believe and have fought as such never being corrected even by other tau players.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 14:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
double post sorry, but here is another question, would the drones be able to move the 6" during the assault phase with the crisis suits?
yes, although why you would want to because tau suck at CC.

Last edited by Greatshaper2; 19 Jan 2011 at 15:58. Reason: ...
Greatshaper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 16:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatshaper2 View Post
yes, although why you would want to because tau suck at CC.
Nah his asking can he do JSJ with them not going INTO assault.

Though shield drones have disadvantages in that they only protect for a couple of shots due to having to evenly spread wounds whereas a shield generator will protect from all shots if my understanding is correct.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 17:22   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You are correct that you would have to divide the wounds equally, but putting 2 instant death Lascannon shots is better than putting it on a Suit. The Shield drones get the 3+ Save of your Crisis suit and a 4+ invul. If they bite the dust it's not as bad, but their main purpose is for those instant death shots. Some people think that Gun Drones are better, but remember they're Toughness 3 so they'd lower your Majority toughness if you have too many. For 5 points more, you can get the 4+ invul, and it's worth it. Our enemies know that Crisis suits can pack a punch so they hit them with a lot of stuff. If you can Shield drones are huge and they make it at I4 so they can get a hit (or at least as swing) in CC before you give them as a Casualty.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Junkinggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 17:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkinggravy View Post
You are correct that you would have to divide the wounds equally, but putting 2 instant death Lascannon shots is better than putting it on a Suit. The Shield drones get the 3+ Save of your Crisis suit and a 4+ invul. If they bite the dust it's not as bad, but their main purpose is for those instant death shots. Some people think that Gun Drones are better, but remember they're Toughness 3 so they'd lower your Majority toughness if you have too many. For 5 points more, you can get the 4+ invul, and it's worth it. Our enemies know that Crisis suits can pack a punch so they hit them with a lot of stuff. If you can Shield drones are huge and they make it at I4 so they can get a hit (or at least as swing) in CC before you give them as a Casualty.
Oh no i'm not arguing for generators VS drones i'm just saying so his aware of the gap that shield drones open up thats all if your in a situation where your taking three or more Lascannon hits to the face your in trouble no matter what you got
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote