Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

ethereal+ hounor guard
Old 18 Jan 2011, 20:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Question ethereal+ hounor guard

hey everyone i am a new tau player and was wondering what you think of Ethereals and if its worth taking honour guard
thanks in advance
enderwiggin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The usual belief about Ethereals is that the price of failure outweighs the benefits of the Honor Guard that you can gain. The only way I have used an Ethereal efficiently is having an honor guard of 11 Warriors and putting them all in a Devilfish. If the enemy gets close I put them all in the Fish and get the heck out of there. Also it's easier for the rest of the army to get line of sight.

Even in doing this, the enemy often targets the Fish with all his heavy weapons. If the Vehicle explodes or is imobilized there is not hope for my Ethereal and when he's dead, the rest of my army is likely toast.

Even if you take an Ethereal as an HQ choice you are still required to take a Commander, so it's a points sink.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Junkinggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 21:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If the honour guard was a scoring unit as well maybe it wouldn't be so bad but yeah the ethereal is a risky unit twin linked morale is great especially for units like pathfinders but the risk is too much if your playing 1500+ a good choice is Shadowsun if you really need that leadership boost she gives all units within 18 inches of her 10 leadership a lot more reliable than LOS and no risk she also counts as the HQ choice so if you take off 50 points for her ethereal like morale boosting she's actually a fairly good choice.

125 points for two fusion blasters and shields out the you know where.Great little tank buster at BS5
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 14:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

shadowsun is a good choice with ethereal and the honour guard are worth it because the +1 bs can make them quite shooty, and dont matter what you say, Tau with Aun'va dead are punchy (although still in3 when charging) they can take care of themselves good enough
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 16:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well...I hate to say it but Ethereals arn't as good as they should be. Yeah you do get some nice bouneses but if your Ethereal dies every unit (not the kroot, vespid or drones) have to take a morale check. you might do well and most pass and every unit gets the preferead enemy rule, which lets you re-roll hits in...close combat....tau suck at CC. and some units might FAIL the morale check anyway. so its not all that good really.

My advice is: is you have a big army and you want so more points, go for it. but if you have a kinda small army (500-2500 points) you would be better off with a crisis suit commander.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyar View Post
shadowsun is a good choice with ethereal and the honour guard are worth it because the +1 bs can make them quite shooty, and dont matter what you say, Tau with Aun'va dead are punchy (although still in3 when charging) they can take care of themselves good enough
Yeah if it wasn't for the small matter that Tau with Aun'va dead are usually running off the board.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 16:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Yeah if it wasn't for the small matter that Tau with Aun'va dead are usually running off the board.
you can say that again!
Old 19 Jan 2011, 18:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well not if you have a LD of 10 :/
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 20:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyar View Post
well not if you have a LD of 10 :/
What so your taking Shadowsun and Aun'va and PLANNING on getting Aun'va killed that is just pure FAIL and possibly one of the biggest wastes of points i've ever heard.

seriously is that the plan REALLY???????
Old 19 Jan 2011, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah but is one sacrificing one's own life for the betterment of the whole not in line and teaching with sacrifice for the greater good? Would not one wish to sacrifice oneself were it to mean the survival and success of a dozen of one's fellows?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote