Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A use for your Stealth Squad
Old 18 Jan 2011, 20:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default A use for your Stealth Squad

Now I know most people hate their Stealth Suits, but when running a Farsight Enclave there is a great use for these guys. Farsight only lets you take one unit of Pathfinders so It's tough to get a wealth of Markerlights.

Since Stealth Suits are Relentless (via Jetpacks) all heavy weapons may be fired even after moving. Putting a Markerlight on your team leader and adding Markerlight drones can be useful. This Unit will be very expensive and if killed early game can be a huge problem. It's also good to mix in gun drones for extra wounds. Of course in doing this each suit will be a minimum of 60 points. For the squad of 3 that I use in my army it costs a total of 215pt.

100 - 2 Stealth'ui - BCs, Drone Controller, 4 Gun drones
115 - 1 Stealth'vre - BC, Markerlight, hwTL, Drone controller, 2 Marker Drones

215 points may be seen as extremely expensive for 3 markerlight hits, but keep in mind that this is a mobile set and it also has stealth. If these models Jump in and out of Markerlight range, it will be nearly impossible for enemies to shoot at them.

It is good to keep this unit near help. One thing that scares my opponents silly is keeping the unit in between two units of Fire Warriors. I run 4 squads of 9 in my 2000 pt. list, and they think twice about deep striking into the crossfire of 49 Pulse shots, from the three units shooting. Of course the Stealth unit can get the heck out and leave the Fire Warriors to fend for themselves, something they do well...until the enemy charges.

This arrangement takes some getting used to, but it is extremely useful. I've learned not to infiltrate, unless there is some reason there is more space on the enemies side of the table, or a nice piece of cover that is just begging to be taken.

Hardly ever do I use this unit's burst cannons, but it can be used, even the BS can be bumped by the Drones Markerlights since they're networked.

I'm kinda interested on your thoughts about this. Have any of you tried this? Or do you have any suggestions?

C&C is accepted.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Junkinggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

While i don't play farsight i have tried this as i think a few others here have but the general consensus is that it's not enough bang for your buck and i think most people under such restrictions tend to spread their marker out across a number of firewarrior squads in shas'uis or give them to their actual crisis suits who can make better use of their own markers.

Personally i kinda like stealth suits in the role they suit best horde killer the ability to infiltrate take cover and toss out 5 5 shots like noone business makes them great at this job especially if you have a number of sources for markers like pathfinders and skyrays and you can make them massively survivable by taking a lot of gun drones if you can afford it.

for example a squad of three suits with six gun drones is 15 shots for 150 points same as firewarriors but you gain 3+ armour jetpacks stealth field and a pile of throw away wounds but you do lose scoring ability and the drones can;t use markers but there a lot more cost effective anti horde option than firewarriors but unfortunately takes up an elite slot.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2011, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

But FWs have a 30" range if they are stationary. Even if the Stealth Suits jump in and out of Carbine Range, they can only be 24" out, leaving them in range of those Jump Infantry. Maybe it's just at my LGS, but there are usually the fast armies. Necrons are the only real exception to this rule, but even so they're scary if you can't mass your fire.

These guys have also survived every game but one. and in that Game, I lost all of my Units in that game though so that isn't that bad. It is unfortunate that this unit won't be scoring, but when it gets near endgame, I get them in a position to contest an objective.

Most people don't fear my Stealth unit, but often times they get a couple kills and assist my Crisis teams, making it that much deadlier. In Annihilation the fact that they aren't scoring has no impact. But they still help in killing the enemy. My list is 1 short of the 2000 limit otherwise I would give my leader a Fusion blaster. That one point would probably go unnoticed, but I still go with the BC because I don't know what else to cut that would be worth it. Maybe the Blacksun-Filter on my Broadside, one turn of not firing might not be a bad thing, but getting that Landraider is pretty nice.

I don't like the Skyray in concept, especially since there aren't going to be a whole lot of Markerlights to take advantage of. I've experimented with Team leaders of the Fire Warrior squad getting Markerlights, but I try to keep mine pretty mobile. They Work in Groups of 2 each giving cross fire that can cover the others back. So they take turns moving in order to keep one firing at max range and one getting into a better position.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Old 18 Jan 2011, 21:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well the range doesn't reall matter since you can literally plant stealth suits 18 inches away from your enemy then fall back as you shoot.

As for jump infantry they can only assault 18 inches as far as i know jump 12 assault 6 and besides this is where you have to be smart about where you deploy your troops infiltrators go last so try to keep them away from jump infantry.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 23:55   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

My bad about the jump Infantry. One of the players this weekend said that his blood angels were able to move 12" in assault. I questioned it, but he was adamant about it. Not having a Blood Angels Codex myself, I couldn't refute this statement. Since I was winning at the time, I just let it slide, but then another squad came on the table and hurt me a bit. He also tried putting a blast template on my Stealth Suits and claimed he didn't have to roll for sighting distance. They were out of the 36" range so he wouldn't have been able to see them with a double 6. I pointed him to the BRB and showed him where that was only Barrage weapons.

I know Blood Angels are fast, but sometimes it's just ridiculous. I kept my Battlesuits in reserve to deep strike, the Pathfinder devilfish is always off on its own when I use this strategy. Well, with a unit of FWs nearby, and a Broadside covering from a distance.

My Sniper Spotter is another one that gets a Markerlight shot, but he is often using that for the snipers. What I usually do is fire my Pathfinders at a squad of Dangerous Infantry. Then I use my Snipers at BS5 and use the left over markerlights to lower leadership.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Old 19 Jan 2011, 14:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i also think Blood angels are overpowered
death to Death Company
but these might be mobile markerlights but isnt T'au supposed to be static mostly
and pathfinders fill that job greatly for most people
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokyar View Post
i also think Blood angels are overpowered
death to Death Company
but these might be mobile markerlights but isnt T'au supposed to be static mostly
and pathfinders fill that job greatly for most people
Well there are two styles Kauyon which is pretty static and Monk'Ta which is all about mobility most people play a mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkinggravy View Post
My Sniper Spotter is another one that gets a Markerlight shot, but he is often using that for the snipers. What I usually do is fire my Pathfinders at a squad of Dangerous Infantry. Then I use my Snipers at BS5 and use the left over markerlights to lower leadership.

Yeah i do much the same but with skyrays i try to soften them up with some 5 5 shots burst canons SMS etc then a few missiles to finish the more valuable targets if there is one in the squad.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 19 Jan 2011 at 16:16.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 17:11   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I don't play static Tau, but neither do I put my stuff in transports. The Devilfish is just too darn expensive both points and money-wise. Sometimes I use the Mandatory devilfish as moving cover to block line of sight from his heavy support. Odds are, it will be staying put, as long as id doesn't explode, it provides cover for my Infantry or any other units. I use my Pathfinders in Tandem with my Sniper Squad. This often can pin a unit of Space Marines by using the Markerlights to lower leadership. I've bought time for my Fire Warriors to get to an objective or escape an assault for a turn.

The Stealth Team is meant to provide support to my Fire Warriors and Crisis Suits. I make sure that they hit at at least BS4 otherwise 4 shots hit instead of 6. (I run squads of 9) If an enemy squad Really needs to die, I focus my Markerlights on that and pulverize it.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...
Old 19 Jan 2011, 17:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Max size for a stealth squad is 6
Old 19 Jan 2011, 17:59   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

4 Squads of 9 Fire warriors I meant. 1 Squad of Stealth Suits usually 3 in the unit. Sometimes more depending on point limits.

My Farsight Enclave
Vs Tyranids 1-4-01
Vs Anything Else 10-2-3

I need some Bugspray...