Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

500 Point Tau vs Space Marines Escalation Campaign
Old 09 Jan 2011, 05:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 500 Point Tau vs Space Marines Escalation Campaign

Hey all,

New to the forum, but I'm starting an escalation campaign with a longtime space marine player. I've never played fewer than 1500 pts, so I'm a bit out of my element crafting this list. Every game the campaign moves up 250 points, and you can change 20% of your points if you win and only 10% if you lose. My initial idea was this, though i worry starting without a Shas'O since I'll want him later in the campaign...

HQ
90 - Shas'El, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker

ELITES
186 - 3 Sha'sui Crisis suit, Plasma Rifle, Missile Pods, Multi Tracker

TROOPS
80 - 8 Fire Warriors, Pulse Rifles
70 - 10 Kroot

HEAVY SUPPORT
70 - 1 Broadside SMS

496 points

I'm pretty new to Tau and 40k in general so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
canucklehead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2011, 06:59   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Personally I wouldn't use kroot in the first match because I don't think they will do that much before being shot down and so the points would be better spent on just reducing the squad of fire warriors to 6 and adding a second squad of them for more flexible shooting. You can then spend the extra points on what you want maybe protection for broadside or just increase the number of fire warriors in the squads until you are at your max points. That's just what I think I'm sure many will disagree with me but still.
Gradejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2011, 09:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ahh the kroot thing i kinda agree with and kinda don't in a lower point game their ability to infiltrate on top of an objective is very good since you generally can't afford transports.

But longer term and overall a stronger gunline of firewarriors will probably serve you better a tough decision i'm afraid.

The one thing i disagree with is the broadside at this point level i think their too expensive for what you get especially if you go up against a non mech opponent which anyone could field at this point level i'd transfer the points into into giving the shas'el a fusion blaster and upgrading the team leader of the suits for the same and concentrate on getting in close or hitting side/rear armour for your anti tank and maybe even consider giving them gun drones or purchasing extra firewarriors/kroot.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2011, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for the tips. my biggest reason for going with the kroot, is that my next list at 750 pt i was thingking increase the FW's to 10, adds another 10 man kroot, hounds to both squads, devilfish, and 4 pathfinders
Old 09 Jan 2011, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Kroot ended up as MVP, killed a 5 man tac squad, razorback and landspeeder to tie the game for me
Old 09 Jan 2011, 21:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ha ha very nice, I guess it al depends on how you use them, you obviously use them well good job
Gradejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was actually going to suggest dropping 1 fire warrior to add 2 kroot hounds to your kroot but you had it well in hand, good job.

So since you tied does that mean you both get to change up your list by 15%?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead42 View Post
Kroot ended up as MVP, killed a 5 man tac squad, razorback and landspeeder to tie the game for me
Thats both very impressive and very unimpressive if your kroot managed to do so much and you still tied most of your other units must have underperformed.

Any chance of a battle report or a statue built in honor of your kroot
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2011, 18:31   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Unfortunately no battle report, we're doing them for the rest of the campaign. My crisis suit squad did well, but my broadside and fire warriors definitely underperformed, they did better in the 750 point objective game when i was able to protect them with a devilfish and some shiled drones
Old 17 Jan 2011, 16:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

take kroot with hounds
the IN 5 will kill a few
in later games i will advise XV9's with melta's because he's bound to have termies
and u MUST take pathfinders
lokyar is offline   Reply With Quote