Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Yet another question from the noob....
Old 09 Jan 2011, 05:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Yet another question from the noob....

Ok so thanks for all the help so far but now i have another question:

the Tau hammerhead gunship, ive been looking into building my army and i know i will have at least one hammerhead however i would like to know how people have had them build namely for the secondary weapon set, i was thinking that burst cannons are the best bet, but wanted to get some input. and perhaps see how everyone outfits there hammerhead with other gear.

Thanks in advance.
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2011, 06:36   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It all depends on how many points you have at your disposal and if you want to spend them. If you have the points to spend on the more expensive SMS then go for it, if not then definatley get the Burt cannons. I hope you know this but if not never take gun drones, they are next to useless and when killed are just extra kill points for your opponent. By the way I also posted on your other question about the crisis suits.
Gradejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2011, 09:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Your right in my opinion i fit my hammerheads with a disruption pod multitracker and burst cannons bringing it to 165 now the crucial reason i take the multitracker is so i can fire the railgun after moving 12 inches but even with the multitracker you can only fire one weapon so regardless of your secondary weapon you can't fire it.

When moving six inches or less which i rarely do since i'm trying to maneuver to take advantage of rear armour or to evade enemies you get to fire all weapons meaning if you take burst cannons you get 6 shots instead of four with the sms now someone will probably come on and tell you SMS is better because it can potentially ignore cover and they have a point or the extra 6 inch range.

but the range for me isn't worth the extra 10 points and the loss of two shots as for the ability to negate cover doesn't matter to me for two reasons the main enemies you'll fight are space marines who have better armour than a cover save and i field a lot of markers so i can give my burst cannons the same ability.

so all in all it's a clear choice for me.

Whether it is for you is for you to decide after hearing everyone's opinions and playing a few games.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2011, 22:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
Your right in my opinion i fit my hammerheads with a disruption pod multitracker and burst cannons bringing it to 165 now the crucial reason i take the multitracker is so i can fire the railgun after moving 12 inches but even with the multitracker you can only fire one weapon so regardless of your secondary weapon you can't fire it.

When moving six inches or less which i rarely do since i'm trying to maneuver to take advantage of rear armour or to evade enemies you get to fire all weapons meaning if you take burst cannons you get 6 shots instead of four with the sms now someone will probably come on and tell you SMS is better because it can potentially ignore cover and they have a point or the extra 6 inch range.

but the range for me isn't worth the extra 10 points and the loss of two shots as for the ability to negate cover doesn't matter to me for two reasons the main enemies you'll fight are space marines who have better armour than a cover save and i field a lot of markers so i can give my burst cannons the same ability.

so all in all it's a clear choice for me.

Whether it is for you is for you to decide after hearing everyone's opinions and playing a few games.
That is true you will have to see what works for you. I field my HH's the same way. I usually field 2 one that way with a railgun
the second i use the ion cannon same setup + a target lock
I sometimes will throw a SMS on it also
I have find the rail gun intimidates so bad that they will spend severeal turns trying to take it out while the ionhead does tons of damage.
Romulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2011, 14:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I field mine a little different from the rest of the guys it seems. I use the same basic load out as Anti but I field mine with the burst cannons for use against orks which I am finding myself facing more and more. My main local opponents are still space marines though and I go for two broadside teams and sniper drones against them. I field the hammerhead against orks mostly for the large blast template and the burst cannons to help cover me should I get cornered by a mob, not to mention basically doing "drive bys" when I dont have to haul tail around the battlefield at top speed.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ahh i use burst cannons so you kit it exactly the same as me ARTI ^_^
Old 11 Jan 2011, 16:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So which style of tau tactics does that usually fall under? I'm good at the fighting but not so good with all the fluff even now.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm pretty sure hammerheads however equipped would come under Mont'ka which is all about moving fast hitting hard and staying mobile while Kauyoun think thats spelt wrong is all about static powerful guns stuff like Broadsides and static firewarrior gunlines.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 21:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Okay, so i mix them, great nothing new being all confusing for everyone and all. I never could stick to a static, regimented plan. Have driven so many commanders nuts that way lol.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 14:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always think its best to go with burst cannons and a railgun. I don't see much point in a ion cannon because why would you choose that when you can have the mighty railgun. Ok the SMS is better than the burst cannons but you can save points and not make your hammerhead too exspensive.