Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Army Ideas?
Old 07 Jan 2011, 23:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Talking Tau Army Ideas?

I have recently started playing with the tau army after collecting and playing a 4000pt space marine force. In my army I currently have:

2 crisis battlesuits( both used as commander shas'os)
6 stealth suits
36 fire warriors
24 kroot carnivores
2 devilfish
10 gun drones(14 if you include devilfish drones)
1 hammerhead with railgun
2 marker drones

I am open to any suggestions army list wise for around a 1500pt army at the moment I do not have any preferences as to build and I play against many different armies(tau, space marines, chaos marines, tyranids, and orks.
Gradejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2011, 16:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well don't use the gun drones or the markerlight drones i'm not a fan of devilfish unless the pathfinders force them on me.

so not a lot of options if you want a 1500 point list definitely play both crisis suits anyway might as well tag on a couple of gun drones with a hardwired drone controller for throwaway wounds if anyone tries to instadeath you with high strength weapons.

as for weapons your going to have a lot anti horde here no matter what you do so make them both fireknives plasma rifle missile pods maybe even tag a fusion onto it as well as they will have to deal with the big boys like terminators you may even need them for tanks since you don't really have much in anti tank.

so fusion plasma rifle missile pods as weapon hardwired drone controller and multitracker with two gun drones. that comes to 144 i think x 2 so 288 so far

definitely field the hammerhead i recommend disruption pod burst cannons and multitracker so 165 .

also field two squads of 10 man kroot infiltrate them on objectives if their are any and keep their heads down 140

i'd field all your fire warriors with rifles and nothing else but we may end up needing to upgrade just to use points.deploy them in cover if possible and use them as a gunline with good spacing between squads 360

all the stealth suits with targeting arrays.Split them into two groups you have plenty of slots 240.upgrade each team with a team leader and give them hardwired drone controllers and two gun drone if you have them. Extra 50 points

all that comes to 1243 unless mistaken so i guess you'll have to field the devilfish after all have loads of points so might as well make them warfish

SMS disruption pod multitracker 120 x 2 240

brings us to 1483

ok toss in an extra couple of kroot i suppose 1497.

For future purchases strongly recommend more crisis suits and some broadsides hope this helps and welcome to the greater good.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2011, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thank you alot anti and by the way around 50% of the people I face are tyranids or orks so that's reason for anti horde when I play marines I tend to try and isolate termies with alot of shots and finish them off with AP2 and 1 weps on crisis suits. I sometimes drop a small stealth team behind the enemies when possible with 1 or 2 marker drones and mark vehicles and take shots on rear armor with the fusion blaster then jumping back hopefully into cover or behind the Newley wrecked vehicle. This is surprisingly effective if done on something like a predator or sometimes a vindicator as they have fairly weak rear Armor. Again thx for ur help.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 08:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradejam View Post
Thank you alot anti and by the way around 50% of the people I face are tyranids or orks so that's reason for anti horde when I play marines I tend to try and isolate termies with alot of shots and finish them off with AP2 and 1 weps on crisis suits. I sometimes drop a small stealth team behind the enemies when possible with 1 or 2 marker drones and mark vehicles and take shots on rear armor with the fusion blaster then jumping back hopefully into cover or behind the Newley wrecked vehicle. This is surprisingly effective if done on something like a predator or sometimes a vindicator as they have fairly weak rear Armor. Again thx for ur help.
Your welcome it sounds like you have a good tactical head on you so you should do fine in the future
Old 09 Jan 2011, 16:05   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Oh and also If you or anyone else has an idea of how to play with this force feel free to tell as I am open minded on how to play them.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Definitely sounds like he has a good tactical head on his shoulders, will definitely make a welcome addition to the forum. Definitely needs to add a broadside or 2, some more crisis suits and maybe some kroot hounds though. And of course sense looks like he prolly has the head for it my personal favorite auxillary, vespid.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
Definitely sounds like he has a good tactical head on his shoulders, will definitely make a welcome addition to the forum. Definitely needs to add a broadside or 2, some more crisis suits and maybe some kroot hounds though. And of course sense looks like he prolly has the head for it my personal favorite auxillary, vespid.
Nah he'll use my favorite Unit the Skyray and make everyone respect it RESPECT THE SKYRAY.^_^
Old 10 Jan 2011, 18:30   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

With the release of the new DE army list
everyone and their mom will be buying a new army
so i need a new list
Gun line or Mechanized?
im working on a fully mechanized list right now
needs to be mobile
too bad its against tau doctrine to have heavy weapons in the squads
Romulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2011, 16:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I will probably end up buying 6 crisis suits from a friend and then hopefully some vespid as from what i can see they are extremely mobile in cover and with ap3 weps they will make good marine finishers. But they would need to be used just for quickly finishing squads I suppose as they can't outshoot
marines. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Gradejam; 11 Jan 2011 at 16:28. Reason: Spelling
Old 11 Jan 2011, 17:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hahaha, see Anti, he has an excellent head for warfare, he has chosen the vespid warriors rather than your old garage junkies tinker toy.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote