Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot?
Old 07 Jan 2011, 13:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Kroot?

Ok So ive been looking into improving my beginners army and im looking into the kroots for some support, ive always liked the kroot in dawn of war but the tabletop version obviously plays much different.

I was planning on using the kroot as a shield for my ranged units since tau are horrendous at close combat, but i was just wondering should i just be using carnivores or should i add shapers, hounds and krootox riders?

any help would be great! thanks
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 14:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

kroot carnivores are great, adding hounds makes them better in CC. Most including myself will advise against the shaper, he is just to expensive for what he gives you. As far as the krootox riders I actually dont have any and have never fielded them so I actually have no experience with them, wish I did. Usually see mixed reactions and debates about them when they come up though so really cant put in much of anything on the krootox. Personnally i dont both because i have plenty of range fighters able to take out vehicles so my kroot focus on being cheap skirmish troops to slow the enemy.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 15:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

A friend of mine who uses Kroot runs with 20 per squad along with Hounds for I5 goodness. Shaper seems like a waste of points for what he gives you, looking at the codex.
evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah i commonly run with 2 squads in big games, 1 with 10 kroot as a blocker and a second with 20 kroot and 8 kroot hounds(all the hounds i have) to flank or infiltrate and worry the heck out of my opponents. That is a large enough force you cannot ignore it.

Last edited by articulategrunt; 07 Jan 2011 at 19:27.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 17:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i was looking in to the codex for them, seems the krootox is ok but would prolly be used as a stalling unit, plus his gun shoots a bit farther, and how to the hounds really work, like i have a squad of 20 kroot and 8 hounds so it would be 28 total or 12 kroot carnivores and 8 hounds?
Old 07 Jan 2011, 19:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

nope 20 kroot and 8 hounds for 28, they add together not one or the other like firewarriors and drones. As i have understood it and never been corrected that is.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 20:50   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

nice understood, so im gonna need to get some hounds too
Old 07 Jan 2011, 21:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah they are the best way to turn our kroot into the tau equivalant of a mob/horde, which despite what some may say can overwhelm and overrun opponents, especially if they are watching out for the big squads of vespid on their other side...whichever they ignore it gonna hurt lol.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 23:28   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey,

Ive just used hounds for the first time a few days ago and they proved most useful to get those first attacks in against the chaos I was fighting with their I5. It meant that I won a battle against 4 chaos marines and a Deamon Prince so I cant say that they arnt worth having.

As for the shaper ive used one once and it proved useless as their armour save is so high that any weapon with an AP value kills outright anyway.

I do own a kroot rider and have played 1 game with it, however it didnt get the chance to see close combat so I cannot comment on how good it is in that situation, but the S7 weapon wont come in wrong Only problem with a rider is that it stops you from being able to infiltrate when playing a game.
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2011, 00:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah arnt the hounds a great addition to the regular kroot warriors?