Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need a little help with wargear and list pls
Old 06 Jan 2011, 20:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Need a little help with wargear and list pls

Hello there, I hope you can help me. I have just got back into 40k after a long break and decided on tau..as I have an elysian army already and the imperial armour 3 taros book I have decided on Tau for my next army (I think the forgeworld suits kind of clinched it too), anyway. I have bought a few things and was wondering if anyone could help with wargear option?...here is what i have.
1x commander r'ymr's
5x xv89 battlesuits (to be used as xv8) they just look alot cooler imo.
1x xv81 battlesuit sms
36x fire warriors
2xdevilfish
2xskyrays (all magnetized for df/sr/hh)
1x pirahna
6x stealth suits
8x pathfinders +3x pathfinders with rail rifles.

I will be magnetizing all the suits i think but i really need some help as i haven't played a game in years.
Rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 20:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well the piranha needs a fusion blaster hands down on that.

The most popular choice for firewarriors is the rifles and NOTHING more photon grenades area a waste of time and EMP if your range to use them your probably already dead.

Skyrays i like to go the full boat with them disruption pods SMS multitracker and Targeting array with this set up you can move the full 12 and still fire ALL weapons since the markers count as defensive and missiles are independent.

Hammerhead i tend to be cheap with choosing burst cannons disruption pod Railgun and multitracker the reason for this is on a hammerhead you can only fire one weapon while moving at 12 even with the multi and it's always going to the be the railgun so don't waste extra points.

i never use rail rifle on pathfinders or equip them with any extras.

other than occasionally a shas'ui with target lock

i only field stealth suits as horde killers i.e all suit take a drone controller and two gun drones and just shoot shoot shoot.

R'ymer can't be changed as far as i'm aware and can't be used in normal games

The Xv81 can't be used in normal games either but if i were to configure it i would choose something that complements it's SMS like missile pods.

Devilfish i generally use "dumb" just a disruption pod i use them to transport and little else i try not to use them at all to be honest but pathfinders force them on me.

Hopes this helps maybe Articulategrunt will come on and give some more advice i'd listen to him as well.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 20:43   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for the help...my local store will let me play forgeworld rules so i am using the new suits. I suppose i could make up another list using equivalent weapons just incase someone gets funny about it.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

Tau Grenades to have their place in an army. I made an old post a few years back about them, I dug it up if you'd like to read through it. I recommend it because of some of the ideas that others have put forward in it.

Tau Grenades

Having said that they are specialized weapons, so only take them if you think you'll be in a situation that calls for them, my views have changed slightly in the 3yrs since I made this.

I'd ditch the Skyrays, too expensive for what they do, take hammerheads.
Rail-rifles are handy sometimes, but they're sort of a one trick pony. Plus you have many other units better suited to that sort of work.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sorry but i find your ideas on grenades particularly photon grenades laughable if your Tau are engaged in close combat you WANT them to DIE .....ALL of them so that line of fire is clear for your other units to attack the unit that just wiped your tau if you take photon grenades and your unit manages to survive like what maybe 3-4 WTF are they going to do NOTHING but block your firepower.

Most enemies would love that since they get FREE INVULNERABLE cover.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 20:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

or they may tie up the attacking unit for another turn?
Old 07 Jan 2011, 21:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
or they may tie up the attacking unit for another turn?
No they will finish the job in your close combat phase and next turn rinse and repeat.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 21:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

True they may but it is not likely to work long enough to prove beneficial to you unless you need the enemy tied up to give you more time to take out other targets.

Lets see Anti covered most of the points pretty well though personally i fight without much armor at all, occasionally a single hammerhead but usually sniper teams and teams of broadsides in my heavy support slots. Dang it I'm having a brain fart I'm exhausted and about to head into worse but here we go. If fighting with 1 broadside I usually equip it with smart missiles for free, a shield unit and a hard wired drone controller so as to take 2 shield drones. If a pair then the second will have the twin linked plasma rifles option to open the defensability up a bit and a shield generator while going back to the team leader and adding a hard wired ?target lock?(like i said brain dead) so i can split their fires. if adding a third I go with smart missiles once again for the massed defensive fires and the no need to see them ability. I also skip the third units shield unit for a target lock so I can split them onto 3 targets if I want to (I have 2 shield drones after all).

Sniper teams i like for the ability to lay down nasty rail rifle fire at long range whcih can chew up (or destroy if focussed) squads, especially with SMs. It is a nice simple unit.

Really my area to shine though is vespids. You have to keep them mobile and they are of little or no use against horde style forces but against SMs, which is mostly what I face, they are death. I will maneuver them to keep them out of fire fights until they can move in, fire and then assault all in one turn. I do commonly field a squad of 10 kroot to skirmish and tie down opponents. Whenever possible I like to pin down units with my kroot to keep them from bringing fires against my vespid and on a couple occasions have destroyed SM squads with vespid only to assault the next turn into a squad or partial squad I had damaged with sniper drones and then pinned down with kroot using the vespid to finish them off.

Alright i gotta go. I would talk more but anti has already taken care of a bunch of stuff for u. Hope to catch you all again tomorrow.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 22:51   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for the pointers guys...I kind of like the idea of a mech though, plus I already have 2 devilfish + 2x hammerhead/skyray/df . I think i will run vespids but proxy them with converted firewarriors as I hate the vespid models. if running fw in devilfish do you take smaller squads?.. how about a small squad of firewarriors in a DF with carbines and emp's as a suicide tank hunting squad? a sort of flying by the seat of your pants squad.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 00:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have a squad of 6 FWs built for semi suicide missions but have yet to be able to try them in an actual match so i cant really give feed back yet but once i do i will do so immediately.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote