Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mediocre Player, new to Tau
Old 06 Jan 2011, 18:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Mediocre Player, new to Tau

hey guys
for the better part of my hobbying career, I have played SM and other Xenos, and i would like to start a Tau Army. I was thinking on having a 1500 point list to build up to.
here's a list that i have built:

HQ
Shas'el Commander
Flamer, Fusion Blaster, Hard Wired Drone Controller, 2x Shield Drones, Shield Generator
121 points

Elites
Crisis Battle suit Team 3x
3x Flamers and Fusion blasters, Drone Controller, Shield and Marker-light drones.
163 points

3x Flamers and Fusion blasters, Drone Controller, Shield and Marker-light drones.
163 points

163 points

Troops
Fire Warrior Team
Shas'ui, Bonding Knife and Marker-light
Devilfish Disruption Pod
220 points

Fire Warrior Team and Marker-light
Shas'ui, Bonding Knife
Devilfish with Disruption Pod
220 points

Kroot Carnivore Squad
10x Kroot Carnivores
70 Points

Heavy Support
Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun, Burst Cannons and Disruption Pods
155 points

Hammerhead Gunship
155 points

Hammerhead Gunship
155 points

1500 points

What do you guys think about this list? It has plenty of anti-tank and anti infantry, i will planning on being mobility based in the extreme, and with this i can move around a lot and blast with the with Crisis' and Firewarriors.
My only concerns would be the Kroot. they are a very weak combat unit in comparison to most things, so at best i can use them as a speed bump for my Hammerheads, or as a in your face assault unit against other Tau or IG.
What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance for any input.
evian
evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 19:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's a good start but i would suggest you drop the marker drones as they are very expensive the best way to get them is through pathfinders and since you seem to want to take devilfish it's a lot better and cheaper as you can give their devilfish to the firewarriors so nothing changes except you get a lot more markers for a lot less points.

The crisis suits are also far too close ranged the missile pod is by far and away the best overall suit weapon you should use a lot more of them for me flamers are a sort of backup weapon i give to my Hq and team leaders as a third weapon.

and generally speaking fusion blasters should be paired with plasma rifles as they complement each other well.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 21:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Anti has a great point with the crisis suits and missile launchers, personally i have been enjoying the mobility and range of twin linked missile launchers for a little while now allowing a reroll of missed shots at great range.

Also on your heavy support i see your mobility point but personally I favor broadside suits. Not as mobile but once again the twin linked ability the broadside's railguns have is amazing for taking out armor or big nasty characters.

You are also very deficient in the FA slots though if you take anti's advice on the fielding of pathfinders it will help you some there.

Also what kind of forces are you fixing to be fighting, that will make a big difference in tactics and force composition.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

As a personal choice I'd drop all the flamers and go for something else.
IMO if you're close enough to the enemy to use a flamer you're doing it wrong :P

My personal fave with the Commander is to have anice light Fire Support guy:

Shas'El, Burst Cannon, Missile Pod (totally agree about these), Multi-Tracker, Stim
Injectors.

Comes to less than 100 Points, less than 90 too I think. Plus he can take on a variety of units rather well, from hordes to light tanks and everything in between, The stim-injectors make him that little more hardy and annoying.

For the Elites, VARIETY!!! It makes them much more useful. By all means, have each team kitted the same, but vary the teams. Otherwise you just cripple your options.
Again, its my personal opinion to drop the flamers. If you're after horde hunting:
Burst Cannon with Airburst, then Burst and Plasma or Missile Pod for the others. I might throw in a CIB just for a bit of variety now and then, and just to throw a new wrench at opponents :P

Your Troop Choices look all good to me. But ditch the markerlight, as said before, Pathfinders are much better. Your troops need to be maneuverable, Markerlights cut this down rather hard.

For the Hammerhead, pay the extra for the Smart-Missile-System, more shots, greater range, and you don't even need line of sight. Trust me, it's a nasty tactic I use all the time.
I would also consider dropping one Hammerhead to pick up a team of Broadsides, Twin-linked railguns that can each shoot at a different target is really handy, especially if you're not rolling well with the Hammerheads. They can also get a SMS, so I'd take that over plasma.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 15:00   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Plasma would also work very well to replace Flamers, now that i look at it.
With Pathfinders, how many Markers do they give me? Don't have a codex on me, but do they give me multiple or a one or two Markers?
I would like to keep the Hammerheads instead of Broadsides, partly for mobility but mostly for durability, especially with Disruption Pods.
btw, do Ion Cannons work as anti-meq? Long Range plasma shots would be pretty good, but i haven't seen done in practice. What do you guys think.
Also, for my Crisis Suits, one thing that i have learned over my time playing with SM's is that redundancy is a great thing, especially alongside target saturation to make them waste shots.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 15:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

For my noncommand unit crisis suits i have grown to truly like twin linked missile pods on a team of 3 suits, 2 with flamers the third/squad leader with something different such as a plasma rifle or special weapon and the squad leader with a hard wired drone controller and 2 shield drones or 1 shield drone and a marker drone. But thats just one of my favorites.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 17:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE666 View Post
As a personal choice I'd drop all the flamers and go for something else.
IMO if you're close enough to the enemy to use a flamer you're doing it wrong :P
WHHHHHAAAAAT this from the same guy who says to use photon and EMP grenades make up your mind flamers are great for anti horde the best in a lot of cases should you be that close ideally no but still for four points as a third weapon WELL WELL worth it far more so than than completely rubbish photon grenades

as for pathfinders every pathfinder has a marker light they come in squads of 4-8 so you get 4-8 markerlights i nearly always take the full four since with BS3 you should only reliably get four marker perfect for raising to BS5 and negating cover

As for the ion tank yes and no the ion canon is clearly a Meq killer and reasonable against light tanks bu no matter what secondary weapon you take it's not going to be good against Meq so in the end it's like taking a crisis suit equipped with a plasma rifle and a burst cannon make up your mind what your killing if you try to do both you'll only end up doing neither that well.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 07 Jan 2011 at 19:20.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 03:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

If you'd ACTUALLY read what my post said, AND read the dates on the posted thread, Its been years since I wrote that.
Grenades have their place, this was backed up by people I have far more respect for. Go read the rest of the thread before you start flaming me.

And did you even stop to consider the situation we're talking about here? I'm talking about Crisis suits, dunno about you, not Fire Warriors.

In my Opinion (and I'm entitled to one) flamers are a waste of points on a Crisis Suit, They require you to get far too close to an enemy to use. Crisis should be all about Range and mobility, considering their special rules.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2011, 17:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE666 View Post
If you'd ACTUALLY read what my post said, AND read the dates on the posted thread, Its been years since I wrote that.
Grenades have their place, this was backed up by people I have far more respect for. Go read the rest of the thread before you start flaming me.

And did you even stop to consider the situation we're talking about here? I'm talking about Crisis suits, dunno about you, not Fire Warriors.

In my Opinion (and I'm entitled to one) flamers are a waste of points on a Crisis Suit, They require you to get far too close to an enemy to use. Crisis should be all about Range and mobility, considering their special rules.
Look you can talk about what you like grenades are rubbish and yes suits are about range they are about mobility but can you honestly say you never have and will never be facing down a horde of orks/tyranids who have ran their ass off to get to you or have pushed you to the table edge and are now within flamer range whether you like it or not in those situations a couple of cheap back up flamers can make all the difference ALL the difference WELL WELL worth it.

and also could you point out what you think i missed about your post which i did read because it was a load of antiquated nonsense you can't simultaneously make the excuse for that rubbish of it's an old post while claiming if i read it i'd somehow agree with you either update your post stop linking to old bullshit or STFU about it

and you can shove your respect up your ass if i wanted the respect of idiots i'd be a jock.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey, guys, relax. There's no need to get angry over an old discussion about grenade upgrades.
Anyway, for the Crisis', i was thinking on replacing the flamer with plasma, but what about a third weapon/support system? Short of the drones which are all on one guy, what could i give the other two suits for backup?