Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Modelling Question
Old 06 Jan 2011, 08:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666
Wink Modelling Question

Hey Everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on here, but I'm back and fixing up my army.

The question I have today is about Crisis, Devilfish and Hammerhead modelling.
Or more specifically, does anyone here know how to model them using Rare-Earth magnets so that weapons and equipment can be easily switch out, so that those on a budget (such as myself) don't have to buy a new suit for another weapon config.

And before anyone says it, I am aware of the existence of that mystical substance known as Blu-tac.
But it really looks kinda bad when you have that nicely painted suit and gun, with the blu-tac sticking out in between...

And does anyone have any idea where to actually get the magnets?
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 13:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

k+j magnetics
Old 06 Jan 2011, 13:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey, thanks for the reply, but I should have specified that I was after an Australian supplier.

I found one, finally, that has everything I want in a neat little starter kit, complete with proper drill sizes. I will provide the page if anyone is interested, I think they ship overseas too.

At the moment, all I'm after is some Instructions on how to go about it. Does anyone remember that guy that did the Hammerhead conversion a while back? I have that manual, I was just after something for a Crisis or Broadside.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
Old 06 Jan 2011, 15:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't know about instructions I just kinda fumbled through it myself. Got magnets off ebay (100 for like $8 including shipping), double checked my polarity, found a proper sized drill bit and made my holes using zap-a-gap glue to secure them into the holes. Then did the same thing for my weapons. Already had them primed and just did the paint afterwards leaving the magnets exposed so no paint would get in the way. Big and heavy weapons I used 2 sets of magnets. But that was just me fumbling my way through.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 21:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Apologize for my short response also I was on the way out of the door and wanted to point in a general direction. but I'm the same as Arti. Got the magnets from a site that my buddy recomended and I had a dremmel so drilled away with a bit that I liked and it's worked fine. The only problem you may run into is melting plastic. Also would recommend some kind of vise grip to hold what you are drilling in place as going free hand can lead to more ... miss drilling???
Old 06 Jan 2011, 21:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i have an "octopus" helping hands for soldering my wife bought me off amazon. 3 "gator clamps" and a magnifying glass help when doing fine work of many kinds.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 01:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah well, It was worth a try. Thanks guys.

I guess I'll just have to adapt the FAQ I've already got.
Quote: