Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau Player!! FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!
Old 05 Jan 2011, 03:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New Tau Player!! FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!

Hey All Im new to the warhammer 40k universe and ive decided to go with the Tau Empire, majorly due to the fact ive always enjoyed them in the computer game. So i am starting off with the battleforce set so i have:

1 Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit (includes 1 multi-part plastic Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit and 2 Gun Drones)
1 Tau Devilfish APC (includes 1 multi-part plastic Tau Devilfish APC and 2 Gun Drones)
3 Tau Crisis XV25 Stealth Suits (includes 3 multi-part plastic Tau XV25 Stealth Suits and 1 Markerlight Drone)
12 Tau Fire Warriors (includes 12 multi-part plastic Tau Fire Warriors and 2 Gun Drones)
12 Kroot Carnivores.

I plan on buying a second set of the battle force set and then one or two hammerheads.

I have a basic understanding of the Tau in that the Crisis Suits seem to be the bread and butter of the force. Just kinda wondering if there are any suggestions on perhaps some models i should think about getting and maybe some ideas on how to use the Tau.(I know to keep away from Close Combat with these guys)

I appreciate any help anyone could give.
OrangeSmurf321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2011, 16:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd recommend checking out the army lists and seeing what kind of armies are popular or that you like the sound of and build towards that.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2011, 16:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And of course as always take into consideration what kind of enemies you will be facing. The force you will be up against makes a great amount of difference in some of the fine tuning of your army. i for instance face alot of Space Marines so I field vespid, broadsides and sniper drone teams almost never putting my hammerhead/sky ray on the table. But that is just me and the forces/players I wind up against.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 07:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

Do you have any idea of what armies you will likely be coming up against?

If you can find out that, then we can help you out that little bit more with relevant advice on what is going to be best for you.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 15:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well i should be going up against some orks or Space Marines, my buddy is new to the game also and he is getting the assault on black reach set, so either one of those, but he seems to lean more towards the orks tho, likes their looks a little more for the time being. so not really any big forces yet but im sure they will grow if he gets more into it.

So Basically, and advise to combat Space Marines or the Orks would be helpful. (please assume that the army dont consist of just the starter sets)
Old 07 Jan 2011, 01:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

Ok, now we have something to work with.

For both Orks and Space Marines, I highly recommend dropping the kroot (unless its a jungle board....) and taking more Fire-Warriors, lots more.
Against Ork poor armour, each hit from a FW is likely gonna result in one less Ork. For the mobs anyway, I'll get to Commander and Elite choices later.

For Space Marines, I tend to find that unless you can ignore their armour, as in the case of some of our Crisis configs, its much easier to bury them under a sheer weight of shots.

Transports for both armies are another matter, for these you want to look at the vehicle damage table in the main book, to get the best result, use a Railgun.
Fusion Blaster's are fun, but they require you to get much too close, and risk a charge next turn, better to take plasma due to Crisis special rules when firing rapid-fire weapons.

For their commanders, this is where you use your heavy hitters, keep them at arm's reach, if not a little further.
Remember, Crisis suits and Stealth Suits can outrun any unit with standard movement, with a little practice, you can get him to chase your Crisis suit all over the table, while you whittle down his army with everything else.
IMO its better to use a Stealth team for this tactic, they're harder to hit :P

As for what you're buying next, I'd get a Hammerhead, or a Broadside, then the next Battleforce.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2011, 11:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Really between the broadside and hammerhead depends on which way you want to go. Personally i field mostly broadsides in fights due to the twin linked railguns "oops i missed, let me reroll that". However if fighting an orc mob/horde with tons of models the hammerhead can use the beautiful large blast temple submunition instead of just the straight shot railgun ammo. Great for wipping out large numbers of troops the large blast template is once again a one shot one roll weapon once again though though generally with good placement it does not matter. I have however found the submunition virtually useless against marines.

Okay I may have clouded things a bit so in summary, broadside for marines and vehicles with the reroll ability (personal favorite); hammerhead for large blast template against mobs and ability to still use solid shot against vehicles and big baddies but no reroll.

Last edited by articulategrunt; 07 Jan 2011 at 14:32.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 12:58   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Excellent thanks for all the advise, i am buying a hammerhead next, seems to have a more active role then broadsides at the moment. do you think it is benificial to get more then one broadside or should i try to stick with 1?
Old 07 Jan 2011, 14:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personnally depending upon the fight i either field, in large fights: 2 teams of 2 broadsides for 4 total broadsides and 2 to 3 teams of sniper drones taking up my last HS slot or 1 team of 3 broadsides, sniper drones and a hammer head filling all 3 slots in matches large enough for such formations. basically I always try to field a pair of broadsides but with one able to split off his attacks to another target depending upon the field of battle.