Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Most effective fast attack agianst MeQ?
Old 02 Jan 2011, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Most effective fast attack agianst MeQ?

Hi, I have an upcoming tournament and have yet to purchase some fast attack choices (tournament rules). A lot of the players and MeQ (generally Necrons and Space Marines) and I'm torn about what to choose.

The tournament rules state minimum one squad/unit per FOC choice, and It is a 1,500pts tournament. What fast attack options would be recommended?
Old 03 Jan 2011, 01:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Vespids are my personal favorite, especially a full sized squad. When I have more time tomorrow I will expand further on them.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2011, 04:05   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I was thinking this, but Necrons would just shoot them down before the damage output could live up to the points.

Would Piranhas be any good at all?
Old 03 Jan 2011, 08:59   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hello there,

As fast attack choice, i would get some pathfinder with rail riflein your pathfinder squad.
Versus SM, SW and Chaos marine, i usually run 7 pathfinder with 3 rail rifle.
For 22 points, it's 50% hit (without marker used), 83% wound with no save, three times a round with pinning test.

I play them in addition to drone sniper team (usually 2 or 3 if i have the points).

I don't see what a piranha would add, as the FB would bring you close enough to get grilled.

X.

Last edited by xilh; 03 Jan 2011 at 09:03.
xilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2011, 09:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with arti if your just going for one fast attack slot then Vespids would be best but depending on the rest of your army pathfinders could be more useful overall but don't get the rifles as they will never pin space marines or necron and are too expensive since without markers your opponent will nearly always have a cover save.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2011, 09:20   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Alright, that settles It.

I've wanted to get some Vespids anyway, since they look very unique, and I'll tell you how It went.
Old 03 Jan 2011, 09:54   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie95 View Post
Alright, that settles It.

I've wanted to get some Vespids anyway, since they look very unique, and I'll tell you how It went.
As the vespid don't have jet pack, they won't move after shooting. Most of the time their range will bring them out of cover to be able to shoot.
At a 12" range with E4 save 5+ i can't see how u will make them any profitable.

10 of them firing at 10 SM, even if the SM aren't in a cover won't have a chance:
10 vespid (166pts) : 10shot, 50% hit, 66% wound, 3.3d (72.6 points killed)
10 SM (200pts) : 20shot, 66% hit, 50% wound, 6.6d (109.56points killed)
Ld test will most of the time be failed, so the 3-4 lasting bee will run away for ever.

I harldy see how spending 166pts on them can ever worth it.

My 2 cents.

(sorry for my english, as it's not my mother language)
xilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2011, 10:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

even with those odds which im shore are actually better than that they can severaly put a dent in there squad and knock em for six, i would deffintly go for some vespids.

Oh and you engish is good.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2011, 11:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Your English is fine my friend. Here is how I usually run my vespid. I maneuver for terrain until I can get to a proper range/assault positioning (have yet to have a problem doing so (have honestly never faced necrons but face Sms all the time with the occasional CSM as well)). Fly in and shoot downing 3-4, assault phase vespid assault. About half the time somehow manage to wipe out the rest of the squad the other half of the time there has ever only been 1 or 2 left. I dont treat them as Tau shooty troops but as assault troopers and usually pray for 1 marine, just 1 to survive because I may loose a couple extra vespid but will usually finsh them off during their own CC phase thus helping to protect my vespid from being slaughtered by enemy fire and freeing me up to move, shoot and hopefully assault again on my next turn. In one exceptionally good match I moved both my vespid squads in and fired on then assaulted 2 seperate SM squads. One was completely wiped out without my loosing a single vespid and were shielded from fire by their own wrecked rhino while the other had two SMs left which both died in their own turn without, thanks to bad rolls, killing a single one of my vespid. Drove on my next round with a huge hole in my opponents lines. That was my best experience but using move shoot assault I dont think I have ever had them not pay for themselves but that could just be luck too.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2011, 13:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Vespids sound good, they are don't have alot of armour but they do have the neutron blasters which is AP3, and alot of neutron blasters could really eat away at space marines in their power armour and necrons. (I think necrons have +3 save)

I havn't actually used vespids but I've seen them used by my friend so this info might be a little rusty
Greatshaper2 is offline   Reply With Quote