Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau army list ideas
Old 22 Dec 2010, 00:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to TauGamer
Default Tau army list ideas

Tell me what you think.

50 Points
Ethereal(I know what your thinking, but for he gives everyone in line of sight re-rolls on leadership tests. which is very helpful for tau.)

157 Points( These guys give the fire warriors marker light support and the broadsides support with their cover save denial marker lights.)
Pathfinder Team(6man)
Devilish:disruption pods

157 Points
Pathfinder Team(6man)
Devilish:disruption pods

140 Points
Fire warriors(12man):Shas'ui with markerlight

140 Points

140 Points

141 Points( the crisis teams give support fire for the firewarriors, taking out transports from afar, then flaming infantry when they get really close.)
Crisis Battlesuits(3man): TL missile pods, flamers.

141 Points
Crisis Battlesuits(3man): TL missile pods, flamers.

119 Points (outflank and take an objective, or screen assaulter s to keep the firebase safe.)
Kroot Squad(12 kroot, 1 Krootox)

270 Points( this is where the real firepower is, with a Shas'vre with a target lock, he can split his fire. making these squad devestating to any mech army.)
Broadside Battlesuits(3man) Shas'vre w/ HW target lock and Drone Controller,Targeting array(+1 BS) All have targeting arrays.

270 Points
Broadside Battlesuits(3man) Shas'vre w/ HW target lock and Drone Controller,Targeting array(+1 BS) All have targeting arrays.

270 Points

I think I may have make a pretty good list, It should be able to take on all comers.(might have trouble with horde tyranids.) but with so much anti-tank with the broadsides, and the FW's being able to dish out allot of accurate shots(thanks to the pathfinds) I think its acually quite balanced.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

(\_/) this is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TauGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 01:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sorry dude, this list has some major flaws. Let's Start from the Bottoms. You cannot take a Drone controller unless you take at least one drone. I'm guessing maybe you forgot to list the shield drones? If not, B-side need Shield Drones! Spending the extra 5 points on a 'vre vs. a team leader is throwing away points unless your looking for special issue wargear. There's an extra 15 points you have tied up into that. Broadsides in general are better served having the ASS than TA's. Especially with the number of Pathfinders your fielding. Static gunlines of Fire Warriors have not worked since 4th. Unfortunatly untill we get a new Codex that many FW's are more a liability than help.
Kroot CANNOT infiltrate with an Ox.
If these are your models and the only thing you have to work with then with some help you can tweak this list to be more effective but the majority of conventional wisdom of utilizing Tau effectively as an all-comers list is not reflected in this list. By all means give it a few tries and see how she rolls and let us know how it goes.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 08:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not so negative about this list but i do think you shouldn't bother with the shas'ui firewarriors unless you have a target lock whats the point there not networked markerlights after all and you don't need the leadership boost since you have an ethereal.

I also hope you haven't overlooked the fact you NEED to field a crisis suit HQ it's not mentioned here and as has been said you can't outflank with that krootox which are pretty much a waste of time due to that fact.

and i disagree with andy about the targeting arrays markerlights aren't just for boosting BS their for negating Cover too which in my opinion is more important and you specifically mention that here but i do think one of those squads probably the center one should have ASS for balance.

and yes they very much need shield drones hope you forgot to mention that or assumed we would know their there.

Also Andy doesn't seem to realize you have a transport for two of those firewarrior squads which will help you field them into cover and with twin linked moral will be unlikely to break up and the third firewarrior squad will be fearless as i assume the ethereal will be joining it and i'm sure you'll find some cover for them on your frontline.

and as for the static gunline comment thats rubbish the best tactic for tau is still dual firebases and this army doesn't seem that static to me either except for the obvious candidates.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 22 Dec 2010 at 09:01.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 14:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The guys are pounding most of the points with good, accurate fire though one thing not mentioned so far and a personal must, especially as a take all comers list, is to drop one of your broadside units and replace it with sniper drone teams. Gives you more spread out power with the stopping power to take out entire units and damage or possibly take out vehicles tripling the number of shots from that one grouping/slot.

A second thing to consider if you are fighting battles with enough points for it is that I noticed you have an open fast attack slot, consider some vespid. If you are going for a take all comers list they are great against SM and CSM, can be handy against demons and big tyranids but not near as much so as against marines.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

"Also Andy doesn't seem to realize you have a transport for two of those firewarrior squads which will help you field them into cover and with twin linked moral will be unlikely to break up and the third firewarrior squad will be fearless as i assume the ethereal will be joining it and i'm sure you'll find some cover for them on your frontline."

and as for the static gunline comment thats rubbish the best tactic for tau is still dual firebases and this army doesn't seem that static to me either except for the obvious candidates."

I did miss the Crisis HQ, but I didn't miss the fact that he has Two 'fish from his Pathfinders. The two together just don't make the most effective combo to me. You either hiding a lot of points in FW inside a 'fish doing nothing for you the first turn, or trying to find cover for them, in which case unless there's an enemy with 12" of that deployment you've missed a round to shoot them at 30". Or your trying to save them before they get assaulted and hope for the best. Say and Average 12 man FW team with a Basic 'fish is 220pts. A six man team in a Smart 'fish is a scoring unit, can hide effectively while still adding firepower on the move and behind your lines or blocking cover is only 180pts leaving you more point for your suits where our real advantage lies. And as for the dual firebase, yeah thats not predictable at all and no one ever expects that from a Tau player. To throw out a quote "You need to know when to hold them and know when to fold'em". We are not the best shooting army and thats well known, IG just out shoots us period. We're not the fastest, the Space Elfs got the market cornered on that. But Tau move and shoot like no ones business! Between the Multi Tracker on vehicles, JSJ of Crisis and Stealths, and the B-side ASS, Tau are able to move and keep the heavy firepower going. So greater success can be found in being able and willing to fold your lines up and sacrifice units to move your line and create more opportunities for firing. Having so many points tied up into FW's is pretty static and not utilizing that mobility. Unless your looking to Fish of fury someone and thats still a pretty big gambit for that many points. So in short, yes start with firebases/firebase but be willing and more importantly ABLE to ditch the base when the time comes.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619

Last edited by AndyinUT; 22 Dec 2010 at 19:41.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 21:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I do agree the points invested in the firewarriors can be better invested and in much of what you say but your simply wrong in your assumptions about tau Tactics Dual firebases predictable or not is the best tactic flatout it's called the MONO build for a reason nearly everyone says you need at least one firebase most think two is best can your style work as well of course can it be good of course can it be successful of course but to abandon tried tested and successful tactics out of fear of one army which can outshoot us and ONLY if configured to do so.

I'd say your tactics and mine have quite a lot in common more than you seem to think clearly your quite competent and i feel we're arguing over very minor differences in the grand scheme of things.

Out of curiosity could you post an army list or link me to one of yours so i can have a look at your style and see more clearly what your talking about.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 22 Dec 2010 at 21:51.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I never said anything about doing anything out of fear of one army. I was mearly using those two examples because people of get the misinterpretation we're the master of one or the other. I refuse to build lists to a specific opponent for two reasons. I think although advantageous is cheesy and I travel a lot to play in tournaments or for fun at LGS so I never know who or what I'll be playing. for instance I'm going to SLC to visit the inlaws and may get a game in at a store or with Blue Table Painting. So I don't have the luxury of taloring lists. I guess I could have a stack of lists, each with a generic Anti-army build but I'd rather find an army list that I can work with for everything. And it's that style of list I give the most council on. TG is asking about his all-comers list which I think is a good start, but it's not "all-comer" enough.
BTW lists are posted in Tau lists...which incidently is where this thread should be as well. Where in the hell are the moderators anyway???

Old 23 Dec 2010, 05:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah all thats fair enough personally at least where i am i think the best results ARE indeed to tailor to a specific enemy i.E Space marines since they represent around 75% of your opponents in their various forms and such a list serves well enough against necron and indeed other Tau and other Mech lists maybe i'm just less ambitious than you but i don't really believe Tau are really capable of winning tournaments at the moment so this method would yield a better overall result and lets face it facing 6 different space marine and ior mech list armies in a single tournament is not out of the question?

so we'll have to agree to disagree at least until the new codex anyway but you are right in that you should play a list and army that is fun and enjoyable to you as a general rule.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 06:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Right on. Agreed! Now where is our new 'dex and new freakin plastics!

Old 23 Dec 2010, 14:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Being sat on in order to better generate timely sales income...
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote