Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

ARE PATHFINDERS GOOD ????
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default ARE PATHFINDERS GOOD ????

ARE PATHFINDERS GOOD AND WHAT DO THEY DO PLZ HELP
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: ARE PATHFINDERS GOOD ????

Umm...Try searching.
But for now, go here:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=8819.0
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6139.0

There are plenty of topics already available for this question.
You are not the first person to ask this, so I ask you try using the search funcion before you ask a question next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:08   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

THEY ARE AWESOME FOR FINDING PATHS :P

Edit by RJay: Really...

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 29 Jul 2005, 03:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i had an Epiphany (sp?) the other day, regarding Pathfinders.. see, i didnt see much point for them, mostly because the Seeker wasnt up to my standards for a 'missile' (it is, after all, a single shot Krak missile, which costs LOTS of kit to set up), and for the assisted shooting, i figured a Markerlight on each Shas'ui and Stealth Shas'Vre would be good enough.

then i played along these lines, and was very very dissapointed. i was facing SMurfs.. and they were hitting a lot more with everything than i was.... Markerlight assists included. so i asked myself why? and what could i change about it? then it hit me:

whats better than a markerlight lighting up a tank OR Squad i want to eliminate???? why, four or FIVE Markerlights lighting up said target! (duh!) before i thought the were wasted markerlights, then, i realized.. i could assist SEVERAL different Hammerheads or Crisis teams to ensure a wipeout. the redundant 'lights really shine against units of troops/termies/orks/WHATEVER... what if i dont have enough heavy Crisis/Tank weapons to use every markerlight? why, THATS when Seekers step in!

see where im going? (i know i have TONS of GOOD ideas, but tough ways of getting those ideas OUT) after this epiphany, having 2-3 markerlights sprinkled through my army to knock out 'oh NO!' Targets with a SINGLE seeker in a turn seemed... stupid! example: an Ork Mob of a full 30 getting too close.... what do you do?

BEFORE: Markerlight attempt to light up mob.. 50% chance.. to assist Pie Plate Rail Round in one corner of Mob.. then Fire Warrior salvoe... again 50% hits... then Crisis shots.. 50% chance... Stealths.. 50%...lousy LOUSY responce, eh?

AFTER: Pathfinders light up mob.. lets say 5 hits... light 1: Pie Plate, Light 2: DeathRain shot, Light 3: Stealth Burst.. Light Four, other Stealth Burst... Light 5: Crisis Plasma Rapid Fire.... all at 83.3% to hit... Remainder Fire Warriors, Stealths, Crisis Weapons and other suits, also contribute their fire at normal 50% to hit.

now, with above example, which comes out better in a hard results review? you got it. and its not even considering the easy anti-tank role.

well, maybe its common sense to everyone else, and im stating the obvious, OR maybe its a graduating Epiphany that all players eventually hit.... but thats where i came to stand regarding Pathfinders.... theyre handy... Darn handy!

PS: why oh WHY put Pathfinders out in front? hmm? look at weapons ranges, and imagine Mordian style Firing lines: Kroot: 24", Fire Warrior: 30", Pathfinders: 36"... which has front rank, second rank, third? now, tactically, which really aught to be first second and third rank? doesnt this seem to be designed this way- where all 3 Ranks saturate fire into the 30" range (from FW rank)?? (Byline of Pathfinder Epiphany, btw... lateral thinking, folks.. it causes headaches, but it works! :P )
Old 29 Jul 2005, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I was just wondering about where to deploy them myself, as I just got a squad of 8. On my usual 4' by 4' tables, just the pre-turn move is enough to set them up somewhere in my territory with sight of the whole darn board. There's no need to deploy out in front, or even forward really.

In this case, fast attack means... you finish shooting at targets fast, because they're dead!
Old 29 Jul 2005, 03:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

put it this way they give you the opinion to ignore cover save and in 4th that a big thing because ever one love to hide in cover

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 29 Jul 2005, 22:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
put it this way they give you the opinion to ignore cover save and in 4th that a big thing because ever one love to hide in cover
thx ever one but it still doesnt answer my queston''a re pathfinders good and if so how '' im just a noob that needs help and oh ya those links help a lot thx
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 29 Jul 2005, 23:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Honestly, Calaban spelled it out perfectly; I had a similar epiphany about 3 weeks ago (seriously, that is the word to describe it, because I thought they were pointless too). I don't care for taking the Devilfish, but it occured to me I'd need more than 4 seekers anyway (on the HH), so bumping it up to 8 with the DF solved that problem (I mean, with 11 ML in an army (what mine has) you need plenty of Seekers). Not to mention the crossfire you can set up if you deploy well - Railguns from one direction, Ion from the other, fire from everywhere else, and Seekers falling from the sky - it gets pretty deadly pretty quick, esp. if you get turn 1.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 30 Jul 2005, 10:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pathfinders are only useful in games of 1500+ points, for the simple reason they cost a bomb.

I dislike them for their cost, and for the fact they are so handicapped by the rules.

Are they useful? Sure, if you take a 5+ strong squad of stealthsuits, and/ or a 3 man crisis team, they can spot for them, and the team could wreak havok. On the other hand, they are a small fragile unit that must stay static to be effective, with a devilfish that can do nothing, and that wilts like paper under any enemy fire.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 30 Jul 2005, 22:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

I have to agree with Deadnight; if it's under 1500 pts, the Pathfinders are far too points-intensive; you end up loosing way more firepower than you end up directing, and it simply becomes too much of a points sink. For the cost of a Devilfish and 6 Pathfinders (80+72=152 poiints) you could lob on another two Broadsides that are going to hit almost everytime anyway, another FW squad that's kitted out well, 20 Kroot, etc.; you see my point.

Yeah, I despise the deadweight of their points cost, and once they run out of seekers, unless you're set up really well, the Pathfinders become sitting ducks. That's also assuming they survive past turn 2, since you usually have deploy a little ways forward to get a good spotting position.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Closed Thread