Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anybody have custom flyer bases?
Old 18 Dec 2010, 23:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Anybody have custom flyer bases?

Hey all, I have two cudas and a tiger shark waiting to be mounted, anybody know of any tutorials or have any ideas for making bases to accomidate them?
Altec Laning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2010, 02:32   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

+1
I've always wondered about this.
philthechil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2010, 02:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yup, I've seen people use Brass tubing and brass bases to good effect but my personal favorite I think is easier.

I use lexan wine glasses. I usually buy them at the grociery store for around $3-4 dollars.
They're extremely durable (hey it's lexan!) and you can cut them to a variety of heights. I then epoxy a rare earth magnet to the top, and glue a washer to the bottom of my flyers.
Somehwere on this forum there's a picture of me holding a Dropship from aliens upside down by the flight base with this method.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2010, 09:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah any clear or durable plastics would do if you want extra height or to be able to have your flyer at an angle doing a maneuver or some such i've never bothered as i've never seen a modified flying base that looked cool enough to justify the effort.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2010, 20:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well right now i have a block of wood with a metal stud coming out so the cudas can stay about 8 inches above the table but i really dont like the look of them, and the metal stud isnt thick enough in diameter to support it properly but that can easily be fixed, i have no idea for the tiger shark though, i would like a base that looks good and maybe a minirama on it, but ill settle for plastic red cups if i have to haha ill look into that wine glass deal though, that sounds interesting
Old 19 Dec 2010, 21:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'll post some pics fo you later

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619

Last edited by AndyinUT; 19 Dec 2010 at 22:03.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 01:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thats just what i was looking for! that looks great, and i would imagine you could paint it black or even put rocks or flock on the base
Old 20 Dec 2010, 04:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes and thats what I did for my 'fish. also you can buy Lexan rods and other fixings now that I think about it. I have seen someone else work bases this way, I have no idea where they found them but they are out there.