Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis suits: magnetize weapons?
Old 10 Dec 2010, 14:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thumbs up Crisis suits: magnetize weapons?

I was looking in the tau codex the other day, in the bit that tells you about there way of war. the tau have two ways of winning a battle, mont'ka and kauyon. The mont'ka goes something like this:

the hunter will wait patient for several days for the order to strike, and practise the exact movements until the time comes...(etc etc)...The hunter will usualy be a crisis, stealth or broadside team with weapon selected for the particular prey

So that got me thinking...could you magnetise crisis weapons? or is there another way, and how would you do it? and help, adive or links would be great!
Greatshaper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2010, 15:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Heck yeah, I started out and have most of my crisis suits weapons glued on but bought a hundred appropriately sized magnets off ebay and a hobby drill from the local shop and now have the four since I got the supplies all decked out with magnets. I can mag weapons back and forth dependant upon mission or desire with ease, and it saves on buying more suits.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2010, 15:15   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would recommend using square ones, so your weapons don't spin and fall, but its harder to get tiny square holes.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B221

I used these tiny round ones, and used a hand drill to make a little hole for them. It worked surprisingly well and the magnets are relatively cheap.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D101-N52
Crisis Suit: O'Shovah, we know you no longer serve the Greater Good! And also, didn't you used to be a lot more Tau-like and a lot less Farseer-y?
Farseer: It's a trick of the light! Onwards, for Khaela Mensha Khaine!
Crisis Suit: Hey, you ARE a Farseer! Sic 'em, Rover!
Kroot Hound: Err, actually, I'm a Wraithlord.
Albinobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2010, 15:08   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

K&J is a wonderful place to get them, but mini-wargaming has a good list for the sizes and where to use them.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
Seaulbriga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2010, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I just got into this hobby myself and I've magnetized two suits already, did a good job on the first one and better job on the second. It's very easy with a pin vise. Just remember to CHECK YOUR POLARITY!

All of my suits are polarized the exact same way. Just put a magnet into the arm, drill out the hole for the magnet in the gun, place a magnet on that arm so that the polarity is right, dab the glue into the gun hole and press the magnet sticking off the arm into that hole then slide it off, clear up any excess glue, and let it dry.

After that, to do the rest of the magnets on the body of that suit and future ones, place a magnet on the already magnetized gun, drill a hole in the arm or suit's backpack, drop some glue in there, push the magnet on your gun into the hole, slide it off, clean up the excess glue, and let it dry.

If you take your time and do that right, then all the accessories on all of your suits will be interchangeable, which really is the point.
DangerousFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2010, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousFat View Post
Just remember to CHECK YOUR POLARITY!
Quoting him for emphasis

Also, It might be better to add magnets after you paint, because I had to scratch off the thin layer of paint of my magnets so they would stay.
Crisis Suit: O'Shovah, we know you no longer serve the Greater Good! And also, didn't you used to be a lot more Tau-like and a lot less Farseer-y?
Farseer: It's a trick of the light! Onwards, for Khaela Mensha Khaine!
Crisis Suit: Hey, you ARE a Farseer! Sic 'em, Rover!
Kroot Hound: Err, actually, I'm a Wraithlord.
Albinobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2010, 00:38   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The magnets for my crisis suits are strong enough to pull lead out of your blood. lol I haven't had any issue with that, but YMMV.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 08:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I magnitized all my units with circle magnets I didn't have an issue until the metal weapons those tend to dip the missile pods however were the easiest
newdigitalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2010, 08:36   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've seen people use the super small magnets and drill a second hole offset from that first into the weapon and the mount (arm/shoulder) and that little bit of extra magnetism tends to hold the heavier weapons in the proper orientation.

I agree though, my magnets are very strong and the weapons do not drift at all. I haven't mounted any of the pewter ones as I don't field those weapons.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 14:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm not sure I would bother with magnets on broadsides and stealth teams, there not alot of weapon or support system options for them.
Greatshaper2 is offline   Reply With Quote