Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How does the sensor work?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dave
Default How does the sensor work?

the codex tells that you can use the sensor during a shooting phase to scan the area.

What can we see? What means the area (there is no delimitation)???

Tanks for an explanation ;D
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How does the sensor work?

I'm not sure about the scan area, but if you actually bothered to read the entry you would see that it specifically states exactly what you can scan for - hidden deployment and ambushes.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i was wondering the same thing, myself.. unhelpfull jabs aside, id still like to know... see, i dont OWN a Catachans Codex, or a CityFight book, so im in the dark about the Tau Codex references to these rules.. AND- they arent in the 4th ed book.

if no one can state what its about, or really even knows, then ill assume that its the same as an Auspex rules for SMurfs.. without point cost.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just tell your opponent "I'm scanning, would you happen to have a Lictor hidden around here?" and they would be force to reveal it if they did. Not sure about hidden deployment or ambushes, but if they can only be placed in terrain you could assume that you scan a single peice of terrain each turn - otherwise, you could get the benefit of the doubt and scan the entire board.

And about the Auspex - do the rules for sensors state anywhere anything about giving the Auspex anti-infiltrator rule? No, frankly, there's nothing remotely to that effect.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 00:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Sensor spines are a delicate upgrade, meaning they're not the most useful upgrade out there, compared to Decoy Launchers for example. However, they are quite useful in specific situations. Sensor spines allow us to detect Ambushes (Catachans & Kroot) and Secret Deployment (Old Lictor Rules, but Lictors no longer use this). The other useful attribute is that it helps against mine fields. So as you move along, you can scan to detect these kinds of units (example; a bunch of catachans sitting in cover, but you can't see them; or some Kroot in some terrain, but you don't know they're there yet; or in the old tyranid codex, where a Lictor is hiding and waiting to appear). I cannot tell you the D6 roll count for this as that would be giving a published and copyrighted rule to that, so you may want to poke into the codices and check that out next time you're in the store. However, just as a note, there is a range for scanning and you do roll a specific number for it to succeed and it's very short ranged (Secret Deployment that is, codex Tyranid, the old one).

The most recent use of the sensor spines, is against the new whirlwind attacks, the mine fields which it can now lay. Our skimmers with sensor spines can easily traverse the mines with much better odds of not triggering them (and yes, skimmers trigger these mine fields as well as jump pack units).

Now the rules for secret deployment and ambushes are differently worded, so refer to the most recent texts where possible; ie: the free release of Codex Catachans. So the sensor spines have their use, but honestly, they're not all that flashy compared to other upgrades. Consider that all of your battle suits (including Stealths) have this upgrade for free already before buying it for your tanks perhaps.

Finally, if you want more information on Ambushes, the Catachan Codex is available for free from GW's website: Catachan PDF @ GW's main site. Check page 12~13 of this document for the exact process of what you'll be able to do, and how Sensor Spines will work for you.

Cheers!
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

point of note, impretty sure were not talking about the vehicle add-on Sensor Spines, we're talking about the oft overlooked FREE and BUILT IN sensor 'ability' included in all Crisis, Stealth(!) and Broadside suits (Tau Codex Pg 16, 'Improved Sensors&#39....

neat freebee, but, whats it DO?
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
point of note, impretty sure were not talking about the vehicle add-on Sensor Spines, we're talking about the oft overlooked FREE and BUILT IN sensor 'ability' included in all Crisis, Stealth(!) and Broadside suits (Tau Codex Pg 16, 'Improved Sensors&#39....

neat freebee, but, whats it DO?
Improved sensors are the same thing. As page 16 states, which you quoted, it allows you to detect ambush setups (see the catachan codex link above) and it also allows you to detect Lictors before they appear (in the old Tyranid rules). The difference is, with suits, you must scarfice your shooting phase for the model that scans. Vehicles can do the same thing, but can still fire and all while scanning (which is why we have to buy that upgrade).

It's a scanner device. You detect things that it states you can (units which use the ambush and secret deployment rules), and these things are particularly rare in the game currently, compared to say, infiltration. It is not an auspex and does not function anything like one. And no, it's not useful against all the armies out there. Which is why it is probably the least used ability that all of our Tau codex grants us.

Cheers!