Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wut tau units should i get and wut upgrades for them
Old 07 Dec 2010, 15:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Post Wut tau units should i get and wut upgrades for them

I need help to start a tau army I'm wondering if anyone could help me by telling me good units and the advantages and what upgrades are good for those units.

Last edited by ricco546; 07 Dec 2010 at 21:57.
ricco546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2010, 20:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

what kind of enemies do you play then we can help you figure out some help and upgrades.

Also please don't use that font colour again it's a wee bit hard to read.
actually it's very hard to read.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2010, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh it only burns the eyes a little Maddo. There are numerous lists and designs put forth already ricco that will help a good bit but as always someone or many will be happy to assist. Aside from what Maddo has already asked do you know the common points range your area usually fights at?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2010, 21:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

unfortunately thats a matter of opinion for example i hate hammerheads and think their pretty rubbish most people here will like or even love their duality of purpose.

as madd said a large part of it is what your playing vespid are great against space marines and necron rubbish against orks and eldar.

Honestly your going to have to play it all but you don't have to buy it all to try it all if you have a willing friend try proxying units i.e use another model to represent something else or even just put a piece of paper on an appropriate sized base and write "hammerhead" or "broadside" on it play around see and learn for yourself what units are good.

Noone can be told this kind of stuff you have to learn it for yourself through experience sure we can tell you our experiences and OPINIONS but you being unique in your own tastes and play style presumably may completely disagree or feel uncomfortable playing according to our styles.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2010, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Im mostly probely going to try and fight three armies blood angels orks and necrons
Old 07 Dec 2010, 21:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

also what armies does tau have advantages on
Old 07 Dec 2010, 22:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricco546 View Post
also what armies does tau have advantages on
Definitely space marines since we have a lot of high AP weapons like plasma rifles Vespids and rail guns.

heres some pro and cons for units from Tau of war

Hammerhead
The Pros
Tough: The Hammerhead is an AV13 vehicle, making it a durable mobile weapons platform. Upgrading it by purchasing a Disruption Pod makes it even more durable.
Firepower: For your first Hammerhead, I suggest you put a Railgun on that bad-boy. This is weapon can be fired on two settings: solid shot at S10(!) and S6 AP4 submunition as a large blast. The Ion Cannon is nice, but for now, let’s get a Railgun.
Mobile: With a Multitracker, your Hammerhead can fire its main weapon while moving at cruising speed (7-12 inches). You can tank shock with it, ram other vehicles and contest objectives. It is relatively fast and ignores terrain as long as it doesn’t end it move on it.
The Cons
Not a reliable anti-tank unit. Even though you get an S10 Railgun, the weapon is not twin-linked so if you miss you miss. Plus it is only one shot, so if you hit and roll a 1 for penetration, you’ve wasted your shot. Alternatively, if you fire your submunition at troops, even if you miss you might hit something. Broadsides are much better at tank-hunting because a Broadside unit of similar points-cost has 2 Twin-Linked Railguns.
One Weapon Tank The Hammerhead, while sporting an secondary weapon system, is really a one-weapon tank. One weapon destroyed result will make it combat ineffective.

Mandatory Upgrades: Disruption Pod, Multitracker.
Optional Upgrades: Target Lock.
Useless Upgrades: Any others.

Tactics: The Hammerhead is pretty awesome. It has a huge gun, can still move 12 inches and fire it, and has AV 13 on the front and a 4+ cover save from it's Disruption Pod. It's range with the Railgun is such that you probably will only need ot move to get a better shot that negates cover. The Hammerhead needs protectiong though, as meltaguns make a complete joke of armor. You'll need to make sure this tank fires every turn and doesn't get melted. The best thing to do is keep it at range from the enemy as best as possible. Deploy it in a far corner for example or create your distance by screening it with Kroot. By bubblewrapping your Hammerhead with Kroot, you'll be able to prevent infantry armed with meltaguns getting in range and destroying it. So keep it protected and blaze away. Remember to fire your submunition at troops as priority and your solid shot at vehicles only if needed.

Crisis suits
The Pros
Mobile Autocannons: Crisis Suits have access to plenty of weapons from Plasma Rifles to Flamers, but only one of these weapons is really needed in every Tau list; Missile Pods. By adding two more Crisis Suits to your army, you'll be filling up on much needed S7, AP4 R: 36 shooting power. Why are they important? Because they're the best weapon for immobilizing and destroying transports.
Durable: Adding 2 Crisis Suits and attaching them to your Force Commander and giving them Gun Drones, will make for a pretty durable unit that will not get owned by a well-placed lascannon or meltagun shot like the Hammerhead.

The Cons
Vulnerable to the Assault: Unlike Hammerheads, Crisis Suits are vulnerable to assaults from just about any unit out there. Hammerheads, with Multitrackers, can move 12 inches per turn and still shoot, so assaulters will need 6s to hit, whereas your Crisis Suits will almost always be hit in assaults on a 3+.

Tactics: Crisis Suits are there to shoot and shoot some more. Do whatever you can to make sure they shoot every turn. Keep them out of the assault by using drones and Kroot to get in the way, move your crisis suits back and keep shooting. Missile Pods are great too when you can/need side armor shots. Because they're mobile, you can move up a flank of Space Marine Predator and take it out from the side. It might be tempting to Deep-Strike your suits. Don't do it. It's too random and can frequently out your valuable suits in harm's way.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 07 Dec 2010 at 22:05.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2010, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I think a better way to start may be to tell us what (if any) Tau units you have and/or what you like about them. If you dont have any then look at the models and see which ones appeal to you. The whole idea is stand back and shoot so units like Vespid and other Kroot may not always live up to expectations. Pathfinders can also have this issue if not used properly, or get in a bad situation.

A really good way to start if you have very few or dont have any Tau is to look at the battleforce. Ebay has them for fairly decent prices.
Seaulbriga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2010, 14:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Getting a battleforce if you dont have any units already will make a good start (its what I originally did) but I also always field either a broadside or a sniper drone team, even in tiny 500 pt fights. Their range and damage potential have won me several fights where without them I'd have been butchered. Once again as anti said earlier, this is my experience and preferrence.
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2010, 17:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulategrunt View Post
Oh it only burns the eyes a little Maddo. There are numerous lists and designs put forth already ricco that will help a good bit but as always someone or many will be happy to assist. Aside from what Maddo has already asked do you know the common points range your area usually fights at?
HAHAHA was it the dark green or the lite blue?
if it was the blue then it really hurts my eyes i didn't have my contacts in.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Sir winston Churchill

maddosammo is offline   Reply With Quote