Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau and Ancient Rome
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau and Ancient Rome

I noticed that the Tau are similar to ancient Rome.

In the beginning, they both had kings. The Romans had a king, and the Tau had kings of castes (chiefs basically). Then, the Romans had a republic which the Senate had most power and the Tau had a republic-like empire which the Ethereals have the most power. Then, an emperor took over the Romans (Augustus) and it became a true empire. Will this happen to the Tau? I heard the codex will be called "Tau Empires", so it is a possiblity.

Also, both used auxillaries, mobile tactics, advance weaponary for their time, gave the conquered entry to the empire, had preset formations (Tau Kauyon and Mont'ka, Romans had Wedge, Tortoise, Orb, ETC.), and sperated their army into parts (Tau = Hunter Cadres, Rome = legions).

Do you think that GW intentionally made the Tau the Romans of the 40k universe?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 18:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Skyblazer
Default Re: Tau and Ancient Rome

Maybe. Tau are like romans in that they feel that they are "civilizing" people with their ideals. They also give people the choice of being absorbed peacefully into their empire, and then governing themselves as long as they work for the empire. I don't think they did it intentionally though, because unless its supposed to be a big secret (which I doubt) they would have said in the designer's notes that that was what they wanted the tau to be like.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

It is a good point, although you could argue that space marines and several imperium forces are also like the forces of ancient rome. Being a fan of that period of history myself I like the idea of Tau being akin to the Roman Empire, as much as a non-human race can be that is.

Old 28 Jul 2005, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
It is a good point, although you could argue that space marines and several imperium forces are also like the forces of ancient rome.
My friends and I actually had a lengthy discussion about this. And while there are some aspects of the Roman philosophy that The Imperium of Man adhere to, the goverment and structure of military is much more like Nazi Germany's facist regime of WWII. I don't wanna go completely OT with this, but there are just way too many situations where Imperial Forces (especially with the Inquisition) wiped out civilizations on a whim of heretical presence. Although it's completely agreed that the Tau's government structure and doctrine is much more towards that of the Roman Empire.

Imperium's policy has always been: Conform and surrender immediately or we will annihilate you.
Tau's philosophy is more towards: like Join us, or one way or another we will make you join us.

The thread of patience the Tau work on when they settle upon new civilizations is infinitely longer than the Imperium's in all respects. The Imperium of Man has zero tolerence for those that do not immediately fall upon their knees and praise The Emperor.

At least the Tau do not try to negotiate settlement terms with newly discovered civilizations at the exact same time Space Marine drop pods and Imperial Guard landing craft enter that planet's atmosphere.

-SaturN
Old 28 Jul 2005, 21:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

IMO, they have some resemblence to Egypt as well... Pharaohs/Ethereals leading the people, highly advanced with a strong society. Besides, I don't think you can classify Tau as entirely mimicing one culture, cause i see some links to the greeks here and there as well...
Old 28 Jul 2005, 22:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Just because there are Pharaohs/ Erthals you can't say their identical.
You might as well say their Chinese-goth-Confederate-Norse-Malaysian.
There will always be something smiler.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

A friend of mine painted his FW black and white, and people took to calling them Geishas. Then we talked about how the Tau are similar to the WWII Japanese (or a stereotype thereof... don't want to offend anybody Japanese.) They place great importance on doing things in an "honorable" way, such as not engaging in nasty close combat. The Emperor (ethereals) is revered as a god, and will be protected at all costs. And they have mecha, too! But there are no Tau Kamikazes... perhaps there would be, if the Imperium were hopping ever closer to T'au.

And then there are those who like to say the Tau are communists. These people are usually my fellow Americans, where "communist" is a word not unlike "traitor" or "satan".

Really, though, the Tau are like most other artistic creations: an amalgam of ideas and behaviors seen in reality, twisted and melted into a shape never before seen.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 23:23   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The tau when it comes to warfare, we are not Roman. Romans will and many times burn down settlements and kill everyone or enslave the people. They also put salt on the ground so vegetation will not grow for many generations so it makes the land unsuitable for growing food. Romans are not nice guys. If u rebell against them, u will be tortured and then crucified. In that case with Sparticus, and the Romans crucified over 600 ppl and put the crosses on the exits of Rome for an example to not go against the empire. All of those 600 were rebels. I don't think Tau would do go such extremes. Thats more like the Emperium with the Inquisition. Tau can't have an emperor becasue that means a single tau would be higher than the rest. That sorta goes against the greater good and sacraficing your individuality. If there is an emperor, then everything will be centered around that one tau and not the whole race. Black Behemoth i think u make some points but The Imperium of Man i believe is the "Roman Empire" of the their days. The fact that the Roman Emperor is worshiped as a god and well so is the Emp of Man and Romans will go to the extremes to enforce their law and to kill off their enemies.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 01:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

The Tau have many likings to many different civilisations. You have to look into the different aspects of the Tau way of life. First things first they are definately communist, equality of all castes and all. Maybe not based directly off of communism, but close enough to it's major ideal. Secondly, they have a caste system quite like the one of ancient India, although their caste system was much more biased. Thirdly they have a fighting style which reminds me of the tactics of Oda Nobunaga, or the American Revolutionary army, what with the move, shoot, hide tactics. Theres more, but its pointless, as many of the things listed can be found in other societies rather than the ones I have chosen. And to be brutaly honest, as the Tau Empire is quite large, deviation on tactics and imagery is quite expected, therefore allowing each person to base thier own Cadre's on different Septs which may use tactics which are radically different, although they are all usually based upon the Kauyon and Mont'ka.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 03:19   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
A friend of mine painted his FW black and white, and people took to calling them Geishas. Then we talked about how the Tau are similar to the WWII Japanese (or a stereotype thereof... don't want to offend anybody Japanese.) They place great importance on doing things in an "honorable" way, such as not engaging in nasty close combat. The Emperor (ethereals) is revered as a god, and will be protected at all costs. And they have mecha, too! But there are no Tau Kamikazes... perhaps there would be, if the Imperium were hopping ever closer to T'au.

And then there are those who like to say the Tau are communists. These people are usually my fellow Americans, where "communist" is a word not unlike "traitor" or "satan".

Really, though, the Tau are like most other artistic creations: an amalgam of ideas and behaviors seen in reality, twisted and melted into a shape never before seen.
I find your post interesting. putting aside the WWII aspect of japanese. From what i've always read, to the japanese (especially Samurai), the "honourable" way of fighting WAS close combat ei. with katana etc. It was considered dishonourable to atack someone from a distance.

And the tau think everyone is equal in that there place in society is equally important as any other

Traditional japanes culture was not like this.. (very generalised outline following)

Emperor
Shogun
Samurai Clan Lords
Samurai
Farmer
Merchant
Peasant
Eta

Basically samurai could treat those below them as they wished without any recourse as the Samurai was always considered "honourable" unless other samurai wre to challenge them. (Eta were the unclean and got everyone beating on them...but they were also the only ones who would touch dead bodies so were important.)

Tau are not like this....Roman idea is much more suitable but Comunist tau are just about a good fit

WWII Japanese culture may have been a lot different as I have not looked into this very much...but Japanes Generals still carried a Katana as a mark of rank and some still used it for Seppuku after losing a battle.

I think ive said enough now....
Closed Thread