Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

can someone tell me a bit about marker lights
Old 26 Nov 2010, 03:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default can someone tell me a bit about marker lights

so, i have started thinking about some marker lights in my army, (its really small ATM around 1000 points). Anyhow i have read in some places that people like to load out a 3 man stealth team with 2 marker shots, and 2 network markers, meaning 4 markers at 170 points. also there is the good ol' pathfinder team, thing is i like to have the rail rifles for taking out MEQs , so for my pathfinder team its 3 pathfinders with rail riffles shas'ui, 3 normal pathfinders and a dumbfish, and i think that makes 208 points? meaning 5 markers. thing is i want markers for the rail rifle guys and the fire warriors, and i wanna use the stealth for crowd control...

any suggestions??? what do you guys use?

also the 80 point fire warrior team gets 2 markers, but i don't think thats too useful.
masterzen149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2010, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I play low point matches, anywhere from 200 to a thousand points, so I get limited in troops, but I always equip Fire warriors with marker-lights if I have the points to spare, the bonuses for this is that in such low point games, you don't have a whole lot of units, and with the tau hitting on a 4+ the fire warriors struggle to hit anything even with the impressive pulse rifle. But 24 s5 ap5 rapid fire shots hitting on a 2 or 3+ will definitely hurt. I'm not so sure how this works in larger point matches though, so it might not be as effective.
Yru0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2010, 20:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Stealth teams with markerlights are too expensive in my opinion generally speaking you don't want your firewarriors out in the open if you want markerlights the best options are the Skyray and Pathfinders.

I recommend Pathfinders and in large groups no rail rifles because you have to remember markerlights don't just boost BS they and more importantly in my opinion negate cover there no real point in hitting something if it has a huge cover save.

it's great to negate the cover of for example speed boosting eldar or dark eldar for example since they rely massively on it once gone their easy to kill.

Last edited by Antisocialnerd; 26 Nov 2010 at 20:53.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2010, 01:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i can see your point about the high cost of the stealth team, but they are good crowd controll, and i see that the rail rifles are a really good anti MEQ gun. does any one else use the rail rifle?
Old 28 Nov 2010, 13:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterzen149 View Post
i can see your point about the high cost of the stealth team, but they are good crowd controll, and i see that the rail rifles are a really good anti MEQ gun. does any one else use the rail rifle?
I actually find the rail gun is better for pinning large Horde packs if you use a pathfinder team with rail rifles their use is more for pinning than BS boosting for example throw on your 5 markers should they all hit use them to lower leadership then hit them with the rail rifles you can even pin space marines this way depending on accuracy.
Antisocialnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2010, 22:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antisocialnerd View Post
I actually find the rail gun is better for pinning large Horde packs if you use a pathfinder team with rail rifles their use is more for pinning than BS boosting for example throw on your 5 markers should they all hit use them to lower leadership then hit them with the rail rifles you can even pin space marines this way depending on accuracy.
That's not legal unless it's from a Networked Marker Light from a drone or your talking about two Pathfinder Squads, one with markers and one with Rail Rifles.

On the subject, I've tried the SMT quite a bit and unfotunatly they never really paid for themselves. Pathfinders are always a workhorse unit in competitive Tau lists and for good reason. Point for Point they're the best Marker light source by far, especially if you take a minimum squad of FW's and deposit them in a the Pathfinder's fish for objective grabbing, etc.
Even in smaller point games it's always better to field a small Squad of Pathfinders and put your 1+ FW in the 'Fish. The 'fish is pretty survivable in lower point games due to it's mobility and the lack of AT at lower points.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2010, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Question the fish

so i was wondering, is it legal for the devilish to detach from the pathfinder unit? for transporting other shiz, or in smaller games using the warfish load-out??
Old 29 Nov 2010, 06:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can carry other units with a deticated transport (not at the same time of course), but they cannot start in the transport. So basically you deploy your pathfiders somewhere advantageous, then deploy the 'fish along with your FW next to it so on your first move they can load up.
Smart or Warfish make great tanks in low point games. SMS are great because if you use cover wisely and hide the tank behind terrain so the other guy has no LOS, you can burn him with impunity.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I'm conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

Link to my Terrain Table Article http://tauonline.org/?content=browse...ry&article=619
AndyinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2010, 08:22   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinUT View Post
That's not legal unless it's from a Networked Marker Light from a drone or your talking about two Pathfinder Squads, one with markers and one with Rail Rifles.
i find it interesting that you say that, because in the case of the marker lights lowering the leadership they are not being used up by unit, but rather "to impose a -1 Leadership penalty on the marked unit" im not saying that you are wrong, i am not sure myself.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 14:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It is a good point for discussion, does anyone know if a thread on it is already in existance?
articulategrunt is offline   Reply With Quote